Shame on Honda, won't ever buy another

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
So basically this entire thread could have been avoided if the first dealership you went to wasn't a piece of shit?

Seriously, not Honda's fault the service department were a-holes and didn't look for the code.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
From the first post it's unclear if the dealership didn't know the code was stored, just didn't bother to check; or if the poster on his own just assumed the code was cleared and went in complaining and demanding the TSB be done and they refused. Also unknown is how long the car was owned, new or used, and if this was the first and only time the problem occurred.
Most dealerships will run a diagnostic if you ask and, if a warranty issue shows up, there is no charge.
Sad to have this situation and worry a significant other.
The solution appeared to be "right at hand" - take it to another dealer if you can and be nice.

Last edited:

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
So.... You hate Honda because you cleared the code that they need to file warranty on? With out proof of that code they can't file warranty on their repairs and won't get paid for performing the repairs on your car.:doh:

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SHAME ON HONDA. They saved a couple hundred bucks by refusing to perform the TCM TSB for me for cars stuck in Park that wont start (which applies to all 2016 Civics!) but they lost several tens of thousands in future purchases from me. I am paying for this TSB out of pocket because Honda would rather nickel and dime their way to a better financial quarter than take care of customers who spend tens of thousands of dollars their products. Feeling so used right now.

I had several people at work asking how I liked the car as they look at buying one... Im letting them all know not to bother with a Honda. This is the only car I've ever owned that wouldn't start... less than 1 year old! 3 Fords, 3 Toyotas, and this Honda is the least reliable of them all.

My girlfriend just got stranded with the car when out shopping.

Stuck in Park, accessory will turn on but the engine wouldnt crank. Battery was fine, jumping didnt help. Car reports tons of critical errors on the dash screen... engine, transmission, parking brake, etc. Clearly this is the TCM issue Honda has the TSB for. ITS A KNOWN ISSUE!

I got it running again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but this is sure to clear any codes that may have been stored. First American Honda Customer Care denied there was any such TSB. When I cited the specific TSB number, they realized their mistake and said they still won't perform the TSB unless a Honda tech pulls the proper diagnostic code from the car.

That means Honda wants me to drive around this ticking time-bomb until it strands me somewhere again, locked in Park, and then get it dragged onto a tow truck (electronic ebrake cant be disabled) and brought to a dealership, where they will certainly not have the proper replacement part in stock, and will probably take a day or two just to get looked at. And even then there are no guarantees the code will be there either. So I may go days without my car for nothing.

The TSB part costs them less then $100, and the labor is only about half an hour. But to American Honda its worth having me drive around stressed and worried about a breakdown, and messing up multiple days of plans and work when it does fail to start again, just to respect their red tape.

Honda should employ more reasonable people and policies in cases where there is a known problem like this.

Never buying Honda cars or motorcycles again. Pathetic customer support.
I feel you man. Had so many issues with my civic just traded it in for a 2017 Ford Fusion sport yesterday. The dealership and Honda corporate are no help. They fixed 1 thing out of the 10 problems i had. Everything was either we can't replicate it or we are not willing to do that. I feel that I got screwed out of 24,000 dollars. A shame because it's a nice looking car and didn't want to shell out another 15,000 dollars for a new car. But I guess live and learn right. Honda has lost me as a customer and close famly members won't buy Honda after all the trouble I've had.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My son just got a 2013 civic and for the free roadside assistance I got with my 2017. His car totally died ,everything malfunctioned before just shutting off. He called the roadside assistance and they sent out someone real quick,they couldn't fix it there, so they took it to the nearest dealer for him. Yea, it was a major inconvenience, but it's the way to go. Let them fool with it right from the start. If it's under warranty and you don't touch it, they can't blame you for anything :)

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Well despite all the people here whose sense of personal self worth was apparently assaulted by a forum thread complaining about a legitimate issue, I got this fixed today. I ordered the part and found a good dealership who said they'd talk to their area rep to try to get me reimbursed. Funny how backwards it is that a dealer would try to help me when American Honda wouldn't bother (Again, Ford customer care has done this no problem for lesser issues).

It turns out the car stored the code despite me disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 seconds or so. So the previous dealership was misinforming me. As a result, I got it easily covered under warranty because it met Honda's draconian standards to apply a cheap and known solution.

AND I WAS RIGHT. The issue was the one resolved by the 17-012 TSB I cited. So to those of you who have been saying you need a code to troubleshoot an issue with very specific and unique symptoms when there is a known issue that matches them with a cheap solution... lol.

Also I'm not sure why you'd link to posts of people with Fords with problems... the main point of this thread was the lack of customer support in spite of the severity of the issue. I wasn't simply complaining that there was an issue in the first place, but about how Honda chose to handle it (read: they didn't).

I didn't read most of the recent replies because from the first sentences I see they are just flamebait and contained nothing constructive (see? I lead by example).

If you can't accept that your favorite brand of car sometimes doesn't live up to the hype, you're deceiving yourself. You deserve better.

To those with this issue, if you are having it, do whatever it takes to get that 17-012 TSB applied.

I'll reply back if I have any more problems, but for now I'm good thanks to my own diligent research, one extremely helpful member here who I exchanged PMs with (ResortCasual), and an extremely helpful dealer.

I'm in the market for another car, but still not buying another Honda since their "customer support" team failed me and caused me undue stress and frustration. Also, I had to struggle to find a dealer that would return a phone call for an appointment for anything other than an oil change, and I had to buy the $200 MSRP part out of pocket at first.

P.S. If anyone from Honda is reading this someday, you should fire your American Honda customer care team.

In the end, I'm glad your situation was resolved. By the way, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are flaming you or are a fanboi. Some people, such as myself, legitimately think you made your own situation more difficult due to how you chose to handle it. The only reason I spent my time replying in the first place was to provide some constructive criticism and advice to potentially help you to expedite resolution of your problem. In my view, you could have gotten the car fixed sooner had you approached the situation somewhat differently.

Cheers, and again, glad you got your car fixed!

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
This person created an account just for this post. Calling BS....
This is a well know issue. It affects many civics. It has happened to me randomly twice (once at 3am, far from home).
I do like the car, but i have kids and cant get stuck with them again for several hours in the middle of nowhere. I'm just waiting for my 2018 subaru to arrive in a few weeks.
Sponsored