Shame on Honda, won't ever buy another

OP
OP

Seven7h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Im slightly confused, Honda wont do a TSB bc the code doesnt show up? This is true with almost any car maker. You have to have the code or it has to be a recall, a TSB isnt a required fix unless certain parameters are met.

You say you are unwilling to get stranded but the only way for Honda to see the code is to tow it to them when you are stranded. When you unplug the battery you are resetting the code and they cant see what happened. Does it suck yes, some dealers will do the TSB if you have pictures or video proof of what happened but if your dealer is being difficult, find another dealer or do it by the book and tow it in.

Anyhow I hope you get it taken care of and maybe next time, instead of flaming Honda right out of the boxin your first post, just create a thread that asks the questions or state your facts of your case and forum members can help. We get really sensitive when you come to a Honda forum and blast them when 90% of here love Hondas.
Those parameters arent possible to meet without dragging the car onto a tow truck, possibly damaging it. Not to mention it has me driving around every day wondering if I'll be able to get home.

Say what you want in defense of Honda, but this is the only car Ive owned that refused to start. That is massively embarrassing for them for a car built in 2016, and should they should be scrambling to resolve it, namely by issuing a recall. I shouldnt have to be begging them to do the right thing only to be told rudely on the phone they wont pay for it. Instead they want to pretend its not a problem and cost me stress and hassle when it happens again.

I bought a new car for convenience, not for the illusion of it.

This is a forum about issues, and I dont need permission to complain about issues. It's not my job or to my benefit to tiptoe around to make you guys who own cars more proud of your purchase. I am not religious about any brand. I will speak my mind... I didn't beg you to post here or read it. The theme of my thread is very clear from the start, so if it makes you uncomfortable, it says more about your attachment to the brand than about me, and you dont need to read it.

I have no questions to ask because I know this process and I know how it should work from owning Fords. For even more minor issues, Ford was reasonable and could see that 2+2=4 and always resolved things. No such luck with the people at American Honda. Honestly, Im not sure why they bother paying salaries for those reps because Im not sure what good they do if not help customers.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Seven7h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Agreed. If I understand the situation correctly, and it seems I get the same thing from it you are, then Honda is reacting the same way other OEMs would 99% of the time. To get a TSB applied, certain boxes have to be checked, a process has to be followed to confirm the fault, the applicability of the TSB as a resolution, etc.
Simply not true. By that logic, laws would never be changed. If the cost of the TSB is negligible then they should be performed speculatively in the event that its difficult or impossible to get the proper disgnosis to resolve it, and the symptom is severe enough. I believe it is severe enough to warrant this. After all, they certainly do that for safety recalls, right? But thats just them doing the bare minimum necessary to avoid being sued.

Also, a case can be made that a car not starting is a safety issue. If I get stuck in an unsafe area after dark, then that's a safety concern. Even if just my car does, thats an unnecessary risk of damage/break-in to my car.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those parameters arent possible to meet without dragging the car onto a tow truck, possibly damaging it. Not to mention it has me driving around every day wondering if I'll be able to get home.

Say what you want in defense of Honda, but this is the only car Ive owned that refused to start. That is massively embarrassing for them for a car built in 2016, and should they should be scrambling to resolve it, namely by issuing a recall. I shouldnt have to be begging them to do the right thing only to be told rudely on the phone they wont pay for it. Instead they want to pretend its not a problem and cost me stress and hassle when it happens again.

I bought a new car for convenience, not for the illusion of it.

This is a forum about issues, and I dont need permission to complain about issues. It's not my job or to my benefit to tiptoe around to make you guys who own cars more proud of your purchase. I am not religious about any brand. I will speak my mind... I didn't beg you to post here or read it. The theme of my thread is very clear from the start, so if it makes you uncomfortable, it says more about your attachment to the brand than about me, and you dont need to read it.

I have no questions to ask because I know this process and I know how it should work from owning Fords. For even more minor issues, Ford was reasonable and could see that 2+2=4 and always resolved things. No such luck with the people at American Honda. Honestly, Im not sure why they bother paying salaries for those reps because Im not sure what good they do if not help customers.
ok, well your vent/rant will fall on deaf ears because we told you how to get your TSB but you are ignoring what you are being told. If you treat your service rep the same way, no wonder they dont want to help you. There are ways to get cars stuck in park onto a tow truck with out damaging it. IF you refuse to present the car to the dealer in "fault" mode, thats your own fault.
Simply not true. By that logic, laws would never be changed. If the cost of the TSB is negligible then they should be performed speculatively in the event that its difficult or impossible to get the proper disgnosis to resolve it, and the symptom is severe enough. I believe it is severe enough to warrant this. After all, they certainly do that for safety recalls, right? But thats just them doing the bare minimum necessary to avoid being sued.

Also, a case can be made that a car not starting is a safety issue. If I get stuck in an unsafe area after dark, then that's a safety concern. Even if just my car does, thats an unnecessary risk of damage/break-in to my car.
They can't speculatively fix an issue that doesnt exist in your car.... they have no idea what code is causing the car to not start or come out of park. You could leave your car at the dealer for weeks while they figure it out but I assume you wont be happy not having a car that whole time either.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wait why didn't you guys call the free Honda roadside assistance every time this happened? This way the code would be there and it would hit them in their pocketbook which would force them to address the issue

At that point the Tsb would be much cheaper than towing the car multiple times

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They can't speculatively fix an issue that doesnt exist in your car.... they have no idea what code is causing the car to not start or come out of park.
This is such a great statement on this. Let's say they do the repair as requested per your information, and it doesnt fix the problem? Then what? You would be upset that they didnt fix your issue. You would be posting that you took it there for repair and it is still not working correctly. Would you then have it towed so that the technicians can find the fault code? I am a firm believer in getting it done right the first time, which means you have to do it the right way as well.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag

Ok, we disagree then. In my opinion, you can continue to beat your head against this wall because you feel that the system does not work in a way that is convenient for you, or you can follow industry standard established procedures and get your car fixed. It's up to you. Just trying to be helpful.

It's like Kenny Rogers said. You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Automakers have procedures for getting issues like yours resolved. You can follow the procedure and get it taken care of, or do it the hard way because you want to fight the system on principle.

I'm just being honest. It seems to me that you are being as inflexible as Honda is here. Their system may not be perfect, but it is what it is. I know what I'd be doing if I were you, and it isn't how you are handling it currently when the car gives you issues.

I stand by my view that most, if not all, manufacturers would be handling your situation in a very, very similar fashion to how Honda is handling it, in the vast majority of cases. I've owned a wide variety of brands of vehicle, and over a lot of years. I'm not seeing anything atypical about how your situation is being handled, and I'm not basing this view on any particular loyalty or fandom toward Honda or any other brand.

Best of luck to you in getting your car fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Seven7h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Well despite all the people here whose sense of personal self worth was apparently assaulted by a forum thread complaining about a legitimate issue, I got this fixed today. I ordered the part and found a good dealership who said they'd talk to their area rep to try to get me reimbursed. Funny how backwards it is that a dealer would try to help me when American Honda wouldn't bother (Again, Ford customer care has done this no problem for lesser issues).

It turns out the car stored the code despite me disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 seconds or so. So the previous dealership was misinforming me. As a result, I got it easily covered under warranty because it met Honda's draconian standards to apply a cheap and known solution.

AND I WAS RIGHT. The issue was the one resolved by the 17-012 TSB I cited. So to those of you who have been saying you need a code to troubleshoot an issue with very specific and unique symptoms when there is a known issue that matches them with a cheap solution... lol.

Also I'm not sure why you'd link to posts of people with Fords with problems... the main point of this thread was the lack of customer support in spite of the severity of the issue. I wasn't simply complaining that there was an issue in the first place, but about how Honda chose to handle it (read: they didn't).

I didn't read most of the recent replies because from the first sentences I see they are just flamebait and contained nothing constructive (see? I lead by example).

If you can't accept that your favorite brand of car sometimes doesn't live up to the hype, you're deceiving yourself. You deserve better.

To those with this issue, if you are having it, do whatever it takes to get that 17-012 TSB applied.

I'll reply back if I have any more problems, but for now I'm good thanks to my own diligent research, one extremely helpful member here who I exchanged PMs with (ResortCasual), and an extremely helpful dealer.

I'm in the market for another car, but still not buying another Honda since their "customer support" team failed me and caused me undue stress and frustration. Also, I had to struggle to find a dealer that would return a phone call for an appointment for anything other than an oil change, and I had to buy the $200 MSRP part out of pocket at first.

P.S. If anyone from Honda is reading this someday, you should fire your American Honda customer care team.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well despite all the people here whose sense of personal self worth was apparently assaulted by a forum thread complaining about a legitimate issue, I got this fixed today. I ordered the part and found a good dealership who said they'd talk to their area rep to try to get me reimbursed. Funny how backwards it is that a dealer would try to help me when American Honda wouldn't bother (Again, Ford customer care has done this no problem for lesser issues).

It turns out the car stored the code despite me disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 seconds or so. So the previous dealership was misinforming me. As a result, I got it easily covered under warranty because it met Honda's draconian standards to apply a cheap and known solution.

AND I WAS RIGHT. The issue was the one resolved by the 17-012 TSB I cited. So to those of you who have been saying you need a code to troubleshoot an issue with very specific and unique symptoms when there is a known issue that matches them with a cheap solution... lol.

Also I'm not sure why you'd link to posts of people with Fords with problems... the main point of this thread was the lack of customer support in spite of the severity of the issue. I wasn't simply complaining that there was an issue in the first place, but about how Honda chose to handle it (read: they didn't).

I didn't read most of the recent replies because from the first sentences I see they are just flamebait and contained nothing constructive (see? I lead by example).

If you can't accept that your favorite brand of car sometimes doesn't live up to the hype, you're deceiving yourself. You deserve better.

To those with this issue, if you are having it, do whatever it takes to get that 17-012 TSB applied.

I'll reply back if I have any more problems, but for now I'm good thanks to my own diligent research, one extremely helpful member here who I exchanged PMs with, and an extremely helpful dealer.

I'm in the market for another car, but still not buying another Honda since they failed me and caused me undue stress and frustration. I had to struggle to find a dealer that would return a phone call for an appointment for anything other than an oil change, and I had to buy the $200 MSRP part out of pocket at first.

P.S. If anyone from Honda is reading this someday, you should fire your American Honda customer care team.
Wait you said you had the code stored and they fixed the TSB, so yes in fact the code helped you get your TSB complete. The first dealer was being lazy and Honda followed protocol....anyhow go enjoy your Honda. Itll be the longest lasting car you ever own if in fact you keep it. And you should @ the meber so we can give him/her kudos for helping you despite your flame throwing from the beginning

OP
OP

Seven7h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Really pisses me off how some dealerships take care of their customers issues seriously and then I here stories like these. I feel bad for some of you fellas/gals who leave near a crap dealership (not just honda) I also feel that even at a good dealership there is always that one douchebag that just wants his commission. Some people just want to work the bare minimum for their pay check but expect others to work their butts off for them when they need help. :mad:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm in the market for another car, but still not buying another Honda since their "customer support" team failed me and caused me undue stress and frustration. Also, I had to struggle to find a dealer that would return a phone call for an appointment for anything other than an oil change, and I had to buy the $200 MSRP part out of pocket at first.

Next time use the free roadside assistance when you have these issues. Trying to diagnose things and reset things yourself you are 'muddying up' the solution. No matter what information you found on the internet

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Next time use the free roadside assistance when you have these issues. Trying to diagnose things and reset things yourself you are 'muddying up' the solution. No matter what information you found on the internet
He's afraid they might scratch his car. :yes:

Last edited:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
:eek:DP
Sponsored

Last edited: