Service Employee Driving Type R

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
I agree. I'm speaking to a friend with lawyer connections to see what is the best way to go about this.

I'm sure jalopnik would love writing an article on this.

I have bonus footage I have not uploaded that shows the technician working on the vehicle, hood open.
A girl comes by and starts talking to him (my impression is they are dating)
Tech gets in my car and revs the engine.
YOu can hear the girl saying "What is that"
The tech replies "Turbo, turbo"
Then she says "It sounds like shit"

Super unprofessional. Who wants me to upload this? Should I threaten to sue before I upload bonus footage?
Was this the same girl in the video? He might have let her take it out for a joy ride.
When did the video take place? Have you showed the dealer the video and asked for a new car yet? I know I would have.
Sponsored

OP
OP

typer844

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Type R
When did the video take place? Have you showed the dealer the video and asked for a new car yet? I know I would have.
Last week my friend. And Yes they saw the video the next day after I picked up, early in the morning.

The service rep who took care of me called me and only offered about 10 apologies and I just said thanks.

I also emailed the video to their public relationship person. She didn't reply, I guess she doesn't care about the negative publicity coming her way.

** Edit **
I don't know if its the same girl.

I still don't know who drove my car but it was 100% a girl.

I guess you could make the case the tech let his lover drive my car for 40 minutes. The voice is similar.

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
They think an apology will suffice for that? They are playing you for a fool.
Time to escalate. Send the video to corporate Honda and let them know they have 7 days to fix the situation and make you happy.

b4dkarm4

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic Si
Country flag
Threaten to send the video to Jalopnik. Im sure the dealer wont be happy when their name is plastered all over the net and seen by a few million people
I like this suggestion best.

Last week my friend. And Yes they saw the video the next day after I picked up, early in the morning.

The service rep who took care of me called me and only offered about 10 apologies and I just said thanks.

I also emailed the video to their public relationship person. She didn't reply, I guess she doesn't care about the negative publicity coming her way.

** Edit **
I don't know if its the same girl.

I still don't know who drove my car but it was 100% a girl.

I guess you could make the case the tech let his lover drive my car for 40 minutes. The voice is similar.
I would delete the video off youtube.

I would go back up to the dealership and talk to the general manager. Show them the video. Tell them an apology isn't going to cut it.
Inform the dealership they have 72 hours to make it right. If you don't hear anything within 72 hours you will share the video with every news source you can and litigate. If they get back to you within 72 hours and you don't like their proposed solution to fix the situation you will go to the news and litigate.

Let them know they are going to pay one way or the other. They can either pay counsel to defend them in court and deal with the loss of service work from the bad PR after you let everyone know their service techs will take customers rides for a joyride. Or they can make the whole thing go away and make you whole right now.

Finding a lawyer to take your case pro bono or on contingency wont be very hard. A lawyer for the dealership to defend themselves plus all the bad publicity from the news and blogging sites like Jalopnik impacting people that trust the dealership to work on their Hondas will easily outstrip the cost of a brand new CTR even at absurd markups.

The second that idiot let that girl drive your car the dealership basically bought it.

If you settle for something like free oil changes for life or an extended warranty you are being played by the dealership.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I am curious to see what your friend with the lawyer connections has to say. I'd personally wait to upload the video until you deal with Honda first and go from there. I agree with those who say don't settle for the free oil changes or extended warranty; this is much bigger and worth more than that, in my opinion. I am also curious as to what kind of cam setup you have.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I didn't see the vid before it was taken down but I agree with everything said. Screw the dealer, if they played you, don't accept free oil changes or an extended warranty or anything. Man Honda has really gone downhill with their service departments...

OP
OP

typer844

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Type R

I would go back up to the dealership and talk to the general manager. Show them the video. Tell them an apology isn't going to cut it.
Inform the dealership they have 72 hours to make it right. If you don't hear anything within 72 hours you will share the video with every news source you can and litigate. If they get back to you within 72 hours and you don't like their proposed solution to fix the situation you will go to the news and litigate.

Let them know they are going to pay one way or the other. They can either pay counsel to defend them in court and deal with the loss of service work from the bad PR after you let everyone know their service techs will take customers rides for a joyride. Or they can make the whole thing go away and make you whole right now.

Finding a lawyer to take your case pro bono or on contingency wont be very hard. A lawyer for the dealership to defend themselves plus all the bad publicity from the news and blogging sites like Jalopnik impacting people that trust the dealership to work on their Hondas will easily outstrip the cost of a brand new CTR even at absurd markups.

The second that idiot let that girl drive your car the dealership basically bought it.

If you settle for something like free oil changes for life or an extended warranty you are being played by the dealership.

Friend with lawyer, who happens to be my boss, also recommended taking the video down.

I made the video private for now and deleted the video from a comment chain in a private facebook group. Hopefully that prevents any blowback.

He didn't ask his personal lawyer yet, but he says there is a risk the dealer sues me for slander? I told him I have not disclosed the dealer yet.
Do you guys think I'm at risk? Its my personal property so what is the concern with releasing this video? Regardless, videos are down now.

He also says the only way I could win, if this goes to court, is if I can prove my car sold for less money because of this issue? What do you guys think? Apparently I can't just sue them for letting an idiot drive my car.

I scheduled an appointment with a different dealer on Friday I gave them the entire story and they sounded interested in looking at it for me.

Some are recommending going to local medial and threatening for a compensation. Should I wait until Friday's inspection? Thoughts?

**Edit**
spelling, grammar

Last edited:

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag

Its even worse than that. It looks like the tech has allowed some coworker who he is banging to take it out for a joyride. It appears she doesnt even know how to drive a manual properly. She could have caused a collision and injury. How does insurance work in Michigan? Do dealers have private insurance that covers vehicles driven by techs? If she had have hurt somebody, someone is getting their ass handed to them in a multi million dollar suit.

Asgroi9399

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Wow this just adds to my paranoia of leaving my car at dealerships and service centers. You never know and can never trust anyone that is touching it. I can easily see this story being on the local news. I don't care what car it is, it still hurts to watch. This dealer should be and I'm sure they are ashamed of their employees in this particular situation. I hope you figure it out and get compensated accordingly plus some for this.

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
Friend with lawyer, who happens to be my boss, also recommended taking the video down.

I made the video private for now and deleted the video from a comment chain in a private facebook group. Hopefully that prevents any blowback.

He didn't ask his personal lawyer yet, but he says there is a risk the dealer sues me for slander? I told him I have not disclosed the dealer yet.
Do you guys think I'm at risk? Its my personal property so what is the concern with releasing this video? Regardless, videos are down now.

He also says the only way I could win, if this goes to court, is if I can prove my car sold for less money because of this issue? What do you guys think? Apparently I can't just sue them for letting an idiot drive my car.

I scheduled an appointment with a different dealer on Friday I gave them the entire story and they sounded interested in looking at it for me.

Some are recommending going to local medial and threatening for a compensation. Should I wait until Friday's inspection? Thoughts?

**Edit**
spelling, grammar
Slander is making a false spoken statement. Libel is the word you are looking for. Considering there is video evidence or them beating the shit out of your Type R, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
As much as I hate dealerships and would be upset and mad if this happened to me, I just don't think you'll get anything more than an extended warranty for possible issues that may come up later on in your ownership due to how they treated the car. There is probably going to be zero visual dmg on the car from this incident.

Let me ask you this. What do you want as compensation for this behavior?

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I don't think you're at risk but the employee who did this sure as hell is. And if your impression is correct of them bangin' each other then he let his emotions/private business get mixed in with his work, at the cost of damaging your vehicle by letting her operate it when she obviously had to clue how to do so.

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
Whats the inspection going to show? Are they going to pull the trans apart and check for wear?
The dealer could just say nothing is wrong, maybe the two dealer owners are friends, maybe its in their best interest to say nothing.

I would be happy with a new clutch, lifetime powertain warranty thats transferable and free maintenance for a few years. Anything less and the dealer is getting off.
They have to understand its not OK to have employees(who cant even drive stick) take a customers car (let alone a niche vehicle) out for a joyride.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Oh damn. I think I read your FB post in the big group. I'm curious as to what the outcome will be. Keep us updated.