Service bulletin 16-022 Audio unit device update

FLcardio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
These car companies are going to have to re-examine how they handle these sort of issues now that these car "computers" are much more complex and each system is integrated. The whole industry is going to need to change/adapt and take a page from the software/computer industry at least in regards to handling updates/software patches. For a while there a few years ago I thought Ford was heading that direction with the Sync system but nothing much changed. I think Tesla though is helping push this idea ahead though and it will only continue if someone like Apple comes out with a car.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
For a while there a few years ago I thought Ford was heading that direction with the Sync system but nothing much changed.
Sync v3, the MFT replacement, supposedly has built-in 3G capability to check/download/update its own updates overnight. Hopefully, for Sync3 owners, they issue updates that actually fix a lot more stuff than they break. With MFT Gen2, while we had it, the ratio of stuff fixed to new problems introduced was perilously close to 1:1 with every single update. What a PoS.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It shouldn't be that hard for Honda to implement OTA software updates directly to owners. The civic already has wifi connectivity either via your mobile hotspot or in your driveway/garage via your home wifi so I don't understand why they still make us go to dealers and go through the song and dance for an update when they could just issue it through the hondalink app

Florida_Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L; 2014 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Sorry for the late post guys, I had to do some running around, but here is the pdf for the bulletin,

the money is the first couple of pages, the rest are just instructions.
Comparing this long document to the OP's shortened one --
  • Both are Service Bulletin 16-022
  • Both say "03585 Version 1"
  • The long document with the installation instructions is dated May 4.
  • The short document that says "do not install" is dated May 5 -- after the long document.
Did they find a problem with the installation procedure and then issue the "do not install" directive?

FLcardio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Sync v3, the MFT replacement, supposedly has built-in 3G capability to check/download/update its own updates overnight. Hopefully, for Sync3 owners, they issue updates that actually fix a lot more stuff than they break. With MFT Gen2, while we had it, the ratio of stuff fixed to new problems introduced was perilously close to 1:1 with every single update. What a PoS.
Yea I haven't really followed the progression of the Sync system too much. I just came from an '07 Focus so obviously this is the most technologically "complex" care I've owned or used..... maybe with the exception of a homebrew "Car PC" using a mobile form factor PC running windows hooked to a touchscreen I had built years ago for our SUV.

I must have the version that was right before this update as I just got the car a few weeks ago and honestly haven't had any of the infotainment glitches that I've seen on here so here's to hoping that this update fixes a lot the problems others have had. I'm very 'tech-savy' so I've purposely been giving this system somewhat of a stress test but using Car Play and jumping back and forth to the built in nav, using voice prompts, switching audio sources and plugging/un-plugging my iphone while it's playing and so far it hasn't skipped a beat. The only issues I've had were with a 3rd party podcast app which seems to have a buggy Car Play implementation and spotty Sat radio reception when under some trees.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I can make some guesses:
  1. Dealers outrage. Requiring owners to bring their car to the shop is good for their business - so they can upsell you on more services, accessories, even a new car! (Even though it is bad for the brand - a classic dilemma. It's also why dealers hate electric vehicles - very little service needs.)
  2. General software problems. No offense to Honda employees, but I'm going to bet that they're not attracting the top software talent. So their software dev/test processes might be on the weak side. This has a stronger potential for problems. Will they be able to turn around a patch quickly? Probably not.
  3. Bricking. Let's say that a patch goes catastrophically wrong and your car gets bricked. Who will fix that? The dealer network that you pissed off? And there'd be so many cars to fix. Tesla can get away with this because their target customer is much more forgiving (I know a Tesla customer who couldn't get his car to move. No biggie... he drove his Ferrari to work instead) and they have fewer customers.
  4. Not everyone has Internet access near their car. People who live buildings will find it difficult... and this may lead to complaints. Not a big deal though - you could just park in front of a starbucks presumably. (Tesla solves this by including 3G I think.) But maybe they're sensitive to this.

None of these are exactly show stoppers... it sounds like from above that Ford has solved this, but it requires a cultural and mindset shift.

As they say, corporate culture eats corporate strategy for breakfast.

Honestly, at this point even if there was OTA, I'm on the fence as to whether I'd be the first to apply a patch to my car looking at Honda's track record!

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I can make some guesses:
  1. Dealers outrage. Requiring owners to bring their car to the shop is good for their business - so they can upsell you on more services, accessories, even a new car! (Even though it is bad for the brand - a classic dilemma. It's also why dealers hate electric vehicles - very little service needs.)
  2. General software problems. No offense to Honda employees, but I'm going to bet that they're not attracting the top software talent. So their software dev/test processes might be on the weak side. This has a stronger potential for problems. Will they be able to turn around a patch quickly? Probably not.
  3. Bricking. Let's say that a patch goes catastrophically wrong and your car gets bricked. Who will fix that? The dealer network that you pissed off? And there'd be so many cars to fix. Tesla can get away with this because their target customer is much more forgiving (I know a Tesla customer who couldn't get his car to move. No biggie... he drove his Ferrari to work instead) and they have fewer customers.
  4. Not everyone has Internet access near their car. People who live buildings will find it difficult... and this may lead to complaints. Not a big deal though - you could just park in front of a starbucks presumably. (Tesla solves this by including 3G I think.) But maybe they're sensitive to this.

None of these are exactly show stoppers... it sounds like from above that Ford has solved this, but it requires a cultural and mindset shift.

As they say, corporate culture eats corporate strategy for breakfast.

Honestly, at this point even if there was OTA, I'm on the fence as to whether I'd be the first to apply a patch to my car looking at Honda's track record!
Yup, very good post. Can't argue with any of that. Except to say that in the near future (5-10 yrs), when teslas and other electrics are more common, and there's more integration of everything with the "internet of things", every car company is going to have to eventually switch to some sort of OTA model. Whether dealers like it or not.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I just went to the dealership this morning because I kept having problems with my radio disconnecting from my iPhone while playing music or in the middle of a call. I was informed by the service manager that just this very same morning Honda released a new service bulletin regarding known problems with the radio unit. I've attached a photo of the printout. I was told that I should check back in a few weeks and hope that Honda has rolled out recall or some kind of repair.

image.jpeg
Been having issues with Car Play on my 2016 Civic Touring sedan I've had for a little over 2 weeks. Primary issue is after plugging in iPhone after starting car, then a few minutes screen says device not connected, disconnect, reconnect, then it shows up. Very frustrating. Called my dealer in San Diego, DCH Honda Mission Valley, inquiring about any possible service bulletins, they claimed there were none, but based on that attachment my VIN number is in the range shown. They did schedule a visit for this Saturday. I'll call them again before showing up.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Curious if this fixed the freezing clock? That's the "easiest" error I can get the dealer to replicate. They partially want to blame it on my girlfriend and my phones not being able to connect but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We actually have video now of the clock freezing on the radio but not the instrument panel cluster.

HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA

Just a dude from Atlanta.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC COUPE EX-T
Comparing this long document to the OP's shortened one --
  • Both are Service Bulletin 16-022
  • Both say "03585 Version 1"
  • The long document with the installation instructions is dated May 4.
  • The short document that says "do not install" is dated May 5 -- after the long document.
Did they find a problem with the installation procedure and then issue the "do not install" directive?

Not a problem, they just hadn't finished writing it when they released the may 5 directive, which was sent out to let us know " don't screw with those updates until we put the bulletin out"

Florida_Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L; 2014 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I can make some guesses:
  1. Dealers outrage. Requiring owners to bring their car to the shop is good for their business - so they can upsell you on more services, accessories, even a new car! ...
That's true. We have a neighbor that took her 2014 CR-V in for an oil change last year and came home with a new 2015 CR-V!

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
UPDATE: UPDATE HAS BEEN RELEASE! BY HONDA AS OF LAST NIGHT
Sponsored