Sensing Collision Mitigation - Near Miss

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
How many people have turned off Collision Mitigation at this point? This one has almost gotten me into a mess a few times, and really screwed me today (almost got me rear-ended by a moving truck). Was curious if anybody else has had enough issues to justify turning it off yet?

The run down of my situation:
1) Passing a moving truck on the left, another moving truck behind me
2) Collision Mitigation (CM) thought the moving truck was in my lane (it does this occasionally with big trucks, but normally flashes the "brake" light and moves on with life after a second without braking)
3) CM starts braking hard. I let off the gas, get back on it and it brakes again. Let off the gas again, get back on and it brakes. Push the gas harder and it revs the engine, still braking, basically until I get in front of the moving truck, which wasn't even crossing the line, definitely not in my lane.

It slowed me down from 55 all the way down to 30 on the interstate, definitely gave me a bit of a scare.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I've had it surprise me with how un-intrusive it was actually. I've never had complaints with it

I had one scenario that looked like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sensing Collision Mitigation - Near Miss 1VfaUXr

Essentially, I was behind this dump truck on the right on a two lane road without a median/turn lane. Obviously I want to get around the truck.

When I change lanes to accelerate, I notice a car in the left lane is completely stopped waiting for a break in traffic to cross left.

So this is one of those scenarios where I have to out-accelerate the big truck to jump back into the gap before he passes.

But to the car, it looks like you're just ACCELERATING into a non-moving object and literally just speeding towards a crash.

The Civic never intervened. The dash flashed "BRAKE" like crazy because it didn't know why I was accelerating towards something that wasn't moving, but it NEVER intervened or hit the brakes.

That was my real "wow I'm impressed" moment with the system. If you told me that a driver was ACCELERATING towards a stationary object, I would have told you that idiot is driving into a crash. But the Civic trusted me enough to not intervene in something like that

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I've had it surprise me with how un-intrusive it was actually. I've never had complaints with it

I had one scenario that looked like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sensing Collision Mitigation - Near Miss 1VfaUXr

Essentially, I was behind this dump truck on the right on a two lane road without a median/turn lane. Obviously I want to get around the truck.

When I change lanes to accelerate, I notice a car in the left lane is completely stopped waiting for a break in traffic to cross left.

So this is one of those scenarios where I have to out-accelerate the big truck to jump back into the gap before he passes.

But to the car, it looks like you're just ACCELERATING into a non-moving object and literally just speeding towards a crash.

The Civic never intervened. The dash flashed "BRAKE" like crazy because it didn't know why I was accelerating towards something that wasn't moving, but it NEVER intervened or hit the brakes.

That was my real "wow I'm impressed" moment with the system. If you told me that a driver was ACCELERATING towards a stationary object, I would have told you that idiot is driving into a crash. But the Civic trusted me enough to not intervene in something like that
I'll be honest, it's surprised me how unobtrusive it is as well, it's just incidents like this that it seems more dangerous in some instances. There's a 50% chance that it'll save my butt (which it has before) or a 50% chance it'll kill me. I'll say that the misreads are uncommon and it's impressive technology, but in interstate traffic could be hazardous, and I'll likely at least start turning it off for when I get on the interstate should I decide to re-enable it.

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
3 thanks on my post so far, I must not be the only one having this "Die if I do, die if I don't" conundrum. C'mon people, speak up and let me know I'm not losing my mind haha.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I don't encounter many semi trucks, either.

Still, I'm glad I can turn these things off. On a clear road with light traffic and good markings, the adaptive cruise plus lane-keep assist makes the car almost self-driving (actually, it works even in stop-and-go rush hour traffic).

But, when it's a little hectic, or the weather's bad, I start turning the driving aids off. I don't want it to try to override me if I need to do something unexpected.

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I don't encounter many semi trucks, either.

Still, I'm glad I can turn these things off. On a clear road with light traffic and good markings, the adaptive cruise plus lane-keep assist makes the car almost self-driving (actually, it works even in stop-and-go rush hour traffic).

But, when it's a little hectic, or the weather's bad, I start turning the driving aids off. I don't want it to try to override me if I need to do something unexpected.
Yeah, definitely a big fan of the fact that I can hand pick the different sensing features and don't lose multiple when I decide I want to turn one of them off.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I've had experiences with both scenarios where I knew what I was doing but the car decided it knew better and slammed on the brakes, as well as times where I was like huh why didn't it brake.

I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that the severity of the reaction is tied to the steering. There are times I was pretty damn close to whatever was in front of me, while I was steering, and it didn't freak out.

When going dead straight was when it decided to slam on the brakes on my behalf.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had experiences with both scenarios where I knew what I was doing but the car decided it knew better and slammed on the brakes, as well as times where I was like huh why didn't it brake.

I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that the severity of the reaction is tied to the steering. There are times I was pretty damn close to whatever was in front of me, while I was steering, and it didn't freak out.

When going dead straight was when it decided to slam on the brakes on my behalf.
TBH I never thought that steering input could be a factor, that's a good point.

I'd test it out, butt...I prefer a fairly low pucker factor on my daily commute.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've never had CBMS intervene, just flash the brake warning on the dash. It seems very sensitive and extremely cautious, like driving with my mother. It would usually flash the yellow "brake" warning a split second before I start to brake, as well at times when I didn't think I was at risk of hitting anything.

Now lane departure warning, that is a real pain in the ass. I've gotten so many false alerts with that.

ysargon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
yeah i almost died because of this shit. its because you increase your speed to match the other lane youre trying to get into, and the car trips the fuck out thinking youre going to rear end the truck. and what i have learned the hard away after a few times this has happened is that once youre in the clear you have to tap on the breaks, and then it will give you full control. if you hit the gas it will fight you harder. so whenever im about to make that (lets call it an "unsafe") lane change i just quickly turn it off, get into the lane i want and turn it back on

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You can control the sensitivity of the CBMS. It applied the brakes for me on two separate occasions, and both were a false alarm. I'm lucky I didn't get rear-ended. After the second incident, I turned the sensitivity way down. Been fine ever since, it beeps and flashes the 'Brake' symbol every now and then, but it has never applied the brakes.

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
yeah i almost died because of this shit. its because you increase your speed to match the other lane youre trying to get into, and the car trips the fuck out thinking youre going to rear end the truck. and what i have learned the hard away after a few times this has happened is that once youre in the clear you have to tap on the breaks, and then it will give you full control. if you hit the gas it will fight you harder. so whenever im about to make that (lets call it an "unsafe") lane change i just quickly turn it off, get into the lane i want and turn it back on
This is exactly what happened to me, but I didn't figure it was relevant to the original post. The truck that I was to the left of, I started out behind. The thing is, I was 3 or 4 seconds after making my lane change and the CMBS was still punching the brakes. It didn't touch the brakes when I was actually behind the truck. I -ahem- cut off the truck to the left, but it wasn't going to affect him at all because I was going to accelerate to the point that it wasn't going to affect his speed at all, that is, up until the car decided to cease my acceleration, then I slowed him down by about 30 MPH. Like I said, this system is really good 90% of the time, but it was punching the brakes at the point that the truck was on my right, not in front of me, and that was terrifying haha. I've turned it back on just because it's been doing well for the 15 months I've owned the car, we'll just hope it doesn't go rouge again.

Here's my illustration, braking began just back of the point on the arrow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sensing Collision Mitigation - Near Miss 20170525_084124

Last edited:

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Once I turned the sensitivity down a little I've been happy with it.

It's mostly been benign to helpful.

I'm not an aggressive at all but I did find the highest sensitivity to be overkill.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you signal when you've been making the lane changes that have set it off?

D
Sponsored