Sell The CTR (for a different auto-x/track car)?

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I currently DD the CTR and autocross regularly. Although it does all things, I am considering buying a used, less expensive car for track and auto-x. I would then buy a less exciting daily.

Has anyone gone to, or came from, a BRZ/FRS/86, S2000, Miata, mustang gt? Those are what I’m thinking about.

I feel like I will miss the torque (at least on the.BRZ/FRS/86, S2000, Miata).

I’ve also been very competitive in the CTR—wondering if these will set me back (or, alternatively, be more challenging)

This is just more of an open-ended question. I’m interested to hear any thoughts folks may have.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Buy what makes you happy. For track use, while dedicated track insurance is now a "thing", I've always been of the thought "if you cant afford to ball it up, it doesn't belong on the track", so I like the idea of a dedicated track/ax car. As such, with a dedicated car, you will need to decide whose rule book you will follow. Some mods for track could make your car uncompetitive in its AX class.

All the cars you mention are your basic choices..
You could add
1) 350z?
2) Porsche Boxster?
3) BMW 3-series (E30/E36)

Several of these cars have "spec" classes which might a) help you control costs or b) source an already sorted car that just needs you.

OP
OP
Boarshead77

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Racer, thank you. Those are other good suggestions. I guess there are a lot of paths to consider.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
I came from... well all of those but the mustang. i did have a 17 camaro ss though.

Honestly if and when i sell the CTR, its going to be for a camaro 1LE V8. I loved my camaro SS and it was amazing fun on track and a good FS car. The 1LE is just a lot better for the track and in BS now it has a class to play and be competitive

The CTR is awesome and i am having a blast but i do miss RWD and that V8 rumble.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Ha, I've owned every one of them, sometimes more than one example. But about to pick up an ND2. I want something small!

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
You really should consider what route you want to go with. Autocross you can really just take the daily and the upgrades you face in autocross are not bad upgrades for the daily. Time attack and wheel to wheel racing you really should look at what local spec class your Nasa state offers and consider that vehicle. Time attack you should focus on on a chassis for amazing handling (cant go wrong with an s2000 since i saw it as one of your options) but really whatever cars makes you happy. I'm on the same boat as you where i daily my CTR but will do occasional track events but this hurts the car in so many ways in the long run and would be best to pick up a cheap race car that you don't have to worry about it breaking down since you still have your daily CTR.

slvrsrpnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Yellow SI Coupe
Country flag
I came from... well all of those but the mustang. i did have a 17 camaro ss though.

Honestly if and when i sell the CTR, its going to be for a camaro 1LE V8. I loved my camaro SS and it was amazing fun on track and a good FS car. The 1LE is just a lot better for the track and in BS now it has a class to play and be competitive

The CTR is awesome and i am having a blast but i do miss RWD and that V8 rumble.
I miss my 1ss 1LE....easily the most amazing car I ever owned. I'm new to autocross (less than 10 sessions on the car) and two big tracks (Palm Beach and Sebring) - and the car was incredibly fun. An accident and some financial realizations brought me to a lesser priced vehicle. It's a fun car, but doesn't have the handling or the raw power of the 1LE.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I miss my 1ss 1LE....easily the most amazing car I ever owned. I'm new to autocross (less than 10 sessions on the car) and two big tracks (Palm Beach and Sebring) - and the car was incredibly fun. An accident and some financial realizations brought me to a lesser priced vehicle. It's a fun car, but doesn't have the handling or the raw power of the 1LE.
Yeah I get that. With the type R I don't think it will be that much of a jump honestly especially since I already had a camaro I kinda have an idea of the consumables.

OP
OP
Boarshead77

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The CTR is the first car I’ve had with decent power. I think my biggest concern is that I would miss the power going to a Miata, BRZ/86. I wonder if the rwd/ true sports car experience/excitement would negate the power loss.

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The CTR is the first car I’ve had with decent power. I think my biggest concern is that I would miss the power going to a Miata, BRZ/86. I wonder if the rwd/ true sports car experience/excitement would negate the power loss.
you might for a bit, no doubt about that. but I think you will get used to it and realize its fun in a different way!

I went from a 15 sti to a Brz and it took some power adjustments but at the same time it was a ton more fun on the twisties!

Power is awesome but you rarely get to use it day to day. You can push the Brz Miata on the street with minimal interference from the law lol.

OP
OP
Boarshead77

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you might for a bit, no doubt about that. but I think you will get used to it and realize its fun in a different way!

I went from a 15 sti to a Brz and it took some power adjustments but at the same time it was a ton more fun on the twisties!

Power is awesome but you rarely get to use it day to day. You can push the Brz Miata on the street with minimal interference from the law lol.
Good point! Lol

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
Country flag
Look, someone worse than me!

Maybe...

Des, you're nuts :)

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
You never know where an autocross is going to break out. It pays to be prepared.
Sponsored