SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I’d like to get some advice on a issue I have with my FK8 Type R. Tuners welcome.
My concern is about boost and possibly exhaust. I’m running the car with an Eventuri air intake and an HKS L-Spec exhaust. I haven’t been able to find any tuners that I trust to investigate the issue. I hope someday I can find someone to ride along or drive the car with so they can feel what I’m experiencing.

I will try to describe the somewhat negative experience the best I can in this post. My car feels like a balloon when I’m driving on the highway. !st gear no problem, 2nd gear no problem. In 3rd gear, ( on the gas ) you can really hear the Eventuri sucking in air. The sound is beautiful up until a point. The pressure is building up, and so far it’s not an issue till I get to 4th, where most of the pull is. I get nervous at this point, because the boost, intake, is really going up.

At this point, it feels like the exhaust is about to make a big BANG! I usually come off the gas to reduce this. Shift to 5th, and the boost comes on again. At times, I can drive beyond the intake sound and I just hear engine. I’m not really going that fast, maybe 130km. Shift up to 6th gear, and the boost comes on again. I ease off when I hear too much intake sound.

I often wonder if the HKS L-Spec exhaust is not suited for the FK8. Is the exhaust not flowing smoothly out the car? Does the Eventuri, create a tornado going into my engine? Going from 3 pipe exhaust to 2 pipe is a bad thing? This week, I will visit a couple shops and see if I can get an experienced tech to ride along. I should be going faster. I think the car was faster when it was all stock, TBH. It was more effortless.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas.
Sponsored

uhhhson

First Name
jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TACOMA, 2015 EVO X, 2018 CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
Is the car cutting out or is it more of the noise you are concerned about? Sometimes adding after market parts like intake and exhaust will throw the cars computer off due to the increased air flow. It’s always best to get a tune after modding a car

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Probably something off with the tune due to the intake. I know the HKS exhaust is not a 3" like everyone likes, but I highly doubt that is the issue.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’d like to get some advice on a issue I have with my FK8 Type R. Tuners welcome.
My concern is about boost and possibly exhaust. I’m running the car with an Eventuri air intake and an HKS L-Spec exhaust. I haven’t been able to find any tuners that I trust to investigate the issue. I hope someday I can find someone to ride along or drive the car with so they can feel what I’m experiencing.

I will try to describe the somewhat negative experience the best I can in this post. My car feels like a balloon when I’m driving on the highway. !st gear no problem, 2nd gear no problem. In 3rd gear, ( on the gas ) you can really hear the Eventuri sucking in air. The sound is beautiful up until a point. The pressure is building up, and so far it’s not an issue till I get to 4th, where most of the pull is. I get nervous at this point, because the boost, intake, is really going up.

At this point, it feels like the exhaust is about to make a big BANG! I usually come off the gas to reduce this. Shift to 5th, and the boost comes on again. At times, I can drive beyond the intake sound and I just hear engine. I’m not really going that fast, maybe 130km. Shift up to 6th gear, and the boost comes on again. I ease off when I hear too much intake sound.

I often wonder if the HKS L-Spec exhaust is not suited for the FK8. Is the exhaust not flowing smoothly out the car? Does the Eventuri, create a tornado going into my engine? Going from 3 pipe exhaust to 2 pipe is a bad thing? This week, I will visit a couple shops and see if I can get an experienced tech to ride along. I should be going faster. I think the car was faster when it was all stock, TBH. It was more effortless.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas.
Type R OEM exhaust middle tip isn't even real, its just a resonator, so that's not the case.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
What do you mean by feeling like a balloon. Do you feel the car cutting out power midway through the pull or? i don't quite get the situation you are in or the problem you are having.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you mean by feeling like a balloon. Do you feel the car cutting out power midway through the pull or? i don't quite get the situation you are in or the problem you are having.
Yeah im confused as well. if it feels slower maybe he's slipping?

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I think he means the perceived pressure/sound build is akin to a balloon filling up and he is afraid it is going to pop. Sort of like those dyno videos where it is on the rollers and screaming and then BANGGGGGGGGGGGG as it pukes the internals everywhere. Personally, I doubt there is an issue but that is probably what he is describing unless I am way off.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
i think it's a non issue, just increased intake noise from the aftermarket intake. Unless your wastegate and related sensors were malfunctioning it's basically impossible to "suck in too much air to explode".

With your mods though I would look at getting a tune. Are you still running the stock tune?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I think the Eventuri intake is just amplifying the turbo spool noises and you're just now noticing it. If the car is pulling without cutting power or sputtering you're fine. HKS knows how to make an exhaust and the Spec-L shouldn't be an issue. Just double check for leaks and you should be good.

OP
OP
SpinRush

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I think he means the perceived pressure/sound build is akin to a balloon filling up and he is afraid it is going to pop. Sort of like those dyno videos where it is on the rollers and screaming and then BANGGGGGGGGGGGG as it pukes the internals everywhere. Personally, I doubt there is an issue but that is probably what he is describing unless I am way off.
No, no, that is exactly what I fear! You are spot on!
Sponsored