Sedan shocks fit hatchback?

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I've been reading around, and it seems like i can't get a straight definitive answer on whether sedan shocks are compatible with the FK7 hatchback... SI and aftermarket springs and sway bars that claim to be for the sedan fit the FK7 hatch without issue.

Simple question. Do they fit? Would shocks/dampers that are sold for the 2016+ Civic sedan install in the FK7 hatchback without modification? Is there any difference in the mounting points or geometry of the suspension between the sedan and hatchback? (excluding the Type R)

I'd imagine that if the answer is yes, then coilovers specified for the sedan would also fit the hatchback as well?
Sponsored

MambaHatch24

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I also can’t find front shocks sets for my 2018 hatchback. Pro civic, PRL and MAPerformance only seems to have rear sets available.
many reason for that?

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
According to the Tein North American catalog, the FK7 only takes shocks for the FK7, meaning 52mm strut body to fit in the FK7 knuckle.

There is a member with an FK7 in another region though that has adjustable damping and those shocks are 53.8mm. So for North America, only the Si has adjustable damping so those will be 53.8mm. So Si shocks will NOT fit the FK7.

For the non-Si coupé and sedan the shocks are 50.2mm. So in theory, they will fit in the FK7 knuckle. But it will need some sort of collar or spacer between the knuckle and the shock. Something with a wall thickness of 0.9mm.

Now I’m no scientist, but something that thin and that precise sounds expensive to custom make. I don’t think anyone’s found a spacer/collar that would work. I’m not suggesting this, but the pinch bolt in the knuckle “may” be overtightened in the FK7 to hold the 50.2mm shock in place. But I bet it wouldn’t be enough and the whole thing would make noise.

For the rear shocks, the mounting points are the same across the board, so it looks like they are all compatible.

SplinterC3ll

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Plus 2017
Country flag
I am in europe and the sport plus 1.5 model (fk7 chassis) is 53.8mm (i measured my self) and adjustable dampers.
I am guessing that the sport model 1.5 and base model 1.0 without adjustable dambers are 52mm and 50.2mm accordingly.

Ai.Fk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
any update? was researching this topic to swap my fk7 struts to the si struts.
would it be possible to use the knuckle and strut of the si?
Sponsored