1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

seat position

Discussion in 'Tracking / Autocross / HPDE' started by tehSteve, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tehSteve

tehSteve GrayBeard McGootch

#SiClubNJ Chapter
    First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2011 BMW 335xi, 2017 Si Coupe, 2010 EvoX GSR, 2005 BMW z4 3.0i
    Just wondering if anyone sits with their seat completely slammed to the ground?
    Like can't push the lever down anymore?

If this is your case, are your legs stretched out enough to comfortably roll your ankle between the brake and gas pedal for "proper heel-toe" ?

Or do you sit super close with knees right up the dash where you rely on just throttle blips to rev-match?

Just wondering what people's driving styles are in autocross in the Si.
    Specifically if the legs are more "stretched out" or at a sharp 90 degree angle (in which case the seat would have to be raised higher)

2. macrossranma Senior Member

First Name:
    macross
    Car(s):
    Civic SI
    Me 6 feet, for autocross I adjust my seat as below which is tighter than daily driving
    2 lever pull from the lowest point
    I sit between 90 to 100 degree angle for the seat
    pull the seat as close as I can to the steering wheel as long as I can keep my head straight (not bending sideways) with helmet, to the point that a 5 foot 7 person have a hard time getting out of the car.
    I also will lock up my seat belt first to make it tight before pulling close to steering wheel so I have less move around in turns

For Heel/Toe I use the acuity pedal relocation and it really helps me alot, i had a hard time with heel/toe no matter how i adjust the seat before. With the relocation pedal i can easily do proper heel toe AND just a blip method, which ever ways is easier for that particular turn.

tehSteve thanked this.
  3. Burt

Burt Member

Car(s):
    2006 Civic LX, 1992 Mazda Miata
    I put the seat as low as it will go, keep the seat back at 10-15 degrees leaned back from vertical, telescope the wheel all the way out and scoot up until my wrists hit the top of the wheel. My wife is about 7" shorter than me and her normal driving position and my autox position are about the same

4. racer

racer Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si sedan
    I prefer to sit up as high and as straight up as possible to get a better view of the front to see the front corners of my car. That said, I am 6' and with a helmet, it means my seat is not raised as high as possible, but likely 1-2" from the bottom as well.

Legs are set so I can reach and depress the clutch fully with a slight bend in my knee. Arms are set so wrist can rest comfortably on the top of the steering wheel.

Often I get in this position, pull my seat belt snug, then try to move the seat forward 1 click.

Heel/toe is not an issue as delivered. Driving a variety of cars over the years I have learned to adjust my foot/technique to fit the car and not the car to my feet.

5. OP
    tehSteve

tehSteve GrayBeard McGootch

#SiClubNJ Chapter
    First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2011 BMW 335xi, 2017 Si Coupe, 2010 EvoX GSR, 2005 BMW z4 3.0i
    Do you guys move your steering wheel column sky high upwards or you try to center it?
    I'm not talking about telescoping in/out part. More interested if the steering wheel is sitting pretty much on your kneecaps and such

6. ycehcky Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    I lower my seat (helmet hits otherwise) then scoot up closer for better "feel". Steering wheel stays the same, which is in the middle to low.