Scraping Sirimoto subframe brace, worried about subframe damage.

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A few weeks back I put on the Sirimoto subframe W brace and rear chassis links. The W brace is the lowest point on my car, and as such I've bashed it more than a few times. The brace itself is dented and deformed, but I'm worried about bending or warping the front subframe, or even sheering off subframe bolts. Is there any chance of that happening? The brace is aluminum so I assume that'll break before any subframe damage occurs.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got under the car today and took a pic just to showcase the damage. She really takes a beating.
Honda Civic 10th gen Scraping Sirimoto subframe brace, worried about subframe damage. 20181226_115514

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
thats the trade off on these man, only solution is to raise your car. personally i would just take it off cons outweigh the pros

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
This was my exact fear about installing the brace. Looks like my fears weren't unfounded. Sorry to see the bad experience of what otherwise looks enticing.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was my exact fear about installing the brace. Looks like my fears weren't unfounded. Sorry to see the bad experience of what otherwise looks enticing.
Honestly the improved stiffness with the kit (included the rear chassis tie links) is incredible. I'm not going to take it off until it's completely bashed in or outright broken. The highway stability is vastly improved, and cornering feels noticeably tighter, think less steering input for more actual movement. It's a great kit, but with a lowered car, there's obviously some clearance issues. This isn't SiriMoto's fault in the slightest, it's a great kit, as long as you don't mind dragging it over everything on the road.

After doing some thinking I feel the brace is what's likely to break here, not the subframe bending or the subframe bolts sheering off. The brace is soft aluminum, it'll deform and eventually break if I keep nailing every bump on the road.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
thats the trade off on these man, only solution is to raise your car. personally i would just take it off cons outweigh the pros
On a car at stock ride height, these bars are fine. The Sportlines he has lower the car like 2 inches.

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a car at stock ride height, these bars are fine. The Sportlines he has lower the car like 2 inches.
2.3" in the front 2.5" in the back, I do drive around with a ~80 pound floor jack in the car along with all my tools though, so that probably contributes to the pretty hefty drop in the rear.

prefontaine

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan, Lunar Silver
Country flag
Hello, all.

Does anyone know if this uses the same forward mounting points as the Type R subframe brace? I have the Type R brace, yet to install, but really like the idea of putting the Sirimoto one on.

Bru87tr

2.3" in the front 2.5" in the back, I do drive around with a ~80 pound floor jack in the car along with all my tools though, so that probably contributes to the pretty hefty drop in the rear.
That wont help, extra weight is never good. Also carrying around a full size matching spare ?

Not only hurting your brace, but that wxtra weight slows the car down. :)

2018Gemini

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly the improved stiffness with the kit (included the rear chassis tie links) is incredible. I'm not going to take it off until it's completely bashed in or outright broken. The highway stability is vastly improved, and cornering feels noticeably tighter, think less steering input for more actual movement.
Bummer deal about the W brace. I just installed my rear braces and love them! After installing I took the car out for a spirited drive. I could instantly feel more of a connection with the rear of the car. Driving over speed bumps in the rear were less bouncy, driving around corners feel tighter fast or slow. I took a suggested 30 mph on ramp curve at 65mph (normally I take it at 50 to 55mph) and it hugged the inside line with ease. Usually at 50 to 55 mph I have to fight it a little. Super easy install definitely worth the money! I'll be installing the W brace next (soon) and hopefully with stock ride height, I wont have this issue. Check out my install video on the rear braces!

Sponsored