Scotty says "Buy the 2.0 Civic over the Turbo".

1. saz468

saz468 Senior Member

First Name:
    Stan
    Car(s):
    2018 civic ext coupe
    I like watching Scotty’s videos he’s a older mechanic they usually don’t like turbocharged cars like my older brother he’s also a mechanic my brother also said that the newer turbocharged cars will last long as long as you keep it well maintained and use synthetic oil . His wife had a 2003 VW Jetta TDI with 200,000 miles on it the turbo was still in good condition but the transmission lasted for 140,000 before it was rebuilt ( I know diesel are different then gas ) but Scotty’s videos are pretty good

NotSerious and defeated thanked this.
  2. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    #47 Gruber, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Scotty’s advice is not directed at car enthusiasts. Not even at car forum regulars. Not at luxury car aficionados. Definitely not for ricers or racers. Not for drivers who want to pass everyone on the road or have the biggest car on the road. And not for brand fans and collectors.

Scotty says clearly “I’m cheap and I want my cars to last forever”. His advice is for the majority of owners who only want reliable transportation. For those people his advice is excellent.

oliviaiiii, defeated, RedGiant217 and 4 others thanked this.
  3. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    So we have four pages of comments based on a guy saying he'd buy a 2.0 over the 1.5 cause it will last longer? He might be right. But are we talking 250,000 miles versus 225,000 miles?

And even if he's right, the turbo gives more smiles per mile, and for me, that's every bit as important. :)

yhkwok, saz468, defeated and 4 others thanked this.
  4. Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000 Red 5 standing by

Millennium Falcon Driver
    First Name:
    Todd
    Car(s):
    Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
    we are drifting off topic somewhat but the R-1800 engine produced between 700-1350hp depending on the model. Cruise RPM was about 2300, with red-line about 2700. That’s not far off from where the 1.5 spends most if it’s time.

Newer airplane engines are Largely Aluminum, although there are some Magnesium blocks in use. Typical life between overhauls is 1800-2500 hours. If it’s in regular commercial operations, that’s 3-5 years. Older radials were based on its condition, but it if they went 1000 hours, that was good. This is due to lubrication issues with the upper and lower cylinders.

Typically, in a new engine it’s not the Aluminum components that get replaced, it’s usually the steel rings, piston liners, and valves and Sometimes the piston itself.

There’s no significant difference between engine life in turbo vs. non-turbo versions of the same engine, but the overhaul is a bit more expensive.

5. Charley-TX

Charley-TX Senior Member

First Name:
    Charley
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic EX-T
    This here, above, is the answer.
    As people get older (scotty) they want simple and reliable. Where I live Its freaking "toyota Camry city" or its variant in Lexus form.
    Also, older technology with fewer part "in theory" is more reliable because less thing can go wrong. Should we go back to carburatos or throttle body..it runs on 30 psi f.p.
    Yes Direct injection is better, Turbo is free power from waste product - burned hot expanding gas-> spinning wheel-> jamming oxygen molecules into the intake. We get more power with smaller displacment, smaller lighter moving parts.
    His video is a f..ng click bait

Browncoat3000 thanked this.
  6. OP
    OP
    NotSerious

NotSerious Senior Member

First Name:
    No
    Car(s):
    2018CivicLXSedanCVT
    Another Toyota proponent. Honda gets an honorary mention.

7. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    We all want reliability but I don't want dull in my car. For the most part, Toyota has been dull. They're working on it, but have a long way to go in the excitement department. They're the white bread of cars. Functional, usable, popular, but nothing special.

saz468 and frontlinegeek thanked this.
  8. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    Yeah that's why Toyota is quickly trying to change that image. With their Camry/Avalon TRD, and the new Corolla they're trying to convince people their cars are "fun". But the only car i'd buy from them right now is the 4Runner, I seriously love that car. It's part of a dying breed of body on frame off-road suv's, has insane resale value, and will last 300K+ miles without an issue and it looks great too. Not to mention that if you install a $5600 magnuson supercharger kit on it, it still retains it's factory warranty and makes almost 400 WHP. I'd buy one but I can't justify buying a 4th car not to mention the fact that my wallet probably wouldn't agree with it either lol.

frontlinegeek thanked this.
  9. 87elco

87elco Senior Member

First Name:
    Tj
    Car(s):
    1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
    Same type of bottom new head design and what not for epa gas savings

frontlinegeek thanked this.
  10. repeet

repeet Senior Member

Retired
    Car(s):
    '17 Civic Si Sedan
    #55 repeet, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Bought my 'Vette when I was 35 and sold it when I was 50. Replaced it with a Prelude. Bought my Si at age 62. Handles just as good as my '85 vette in the corners and once you get it going, feels just as quick. Of course nothing can beat a RWD large displacement V8 "out of the hole".

jred721, frontlinegeek and charleswrivers thanked this.
  11. frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek Senior Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Car(s):
    2010 CRV, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
    You know what Honda needs to make but never will? A RWD Prelude with a biturbo V6, LSD and a DCT.

repeet thanked this.
  12. charleswrivers

charleswrivers Senior Member

EMNCS(SS)
    First Name:
    Charles
    Car(s):
    '14 Odyssey EX-L '18 Civic SI Sedan '94 300zx twin turbo 2001 Ford F-150 Sport
    Ugh. I've wanted a Vette on and off for years. There's a few guys who, as they hit their military retirement time and got their second job, got C7s. I can't get another sports car with the Z in the garage... and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. I sure would like one though. C4s we're great and got better and better as they wore on, but the Corvettes they have today are just ridiculous. I used to thing the C5 Z06s we're amazing when I was in my late teens. I figured... someday, I'd have something like that. Then the base C6s pretty much superceded it on most fronts. The C7s moreso. My wife has always kind of wanted a Cayman, though she's just kind of dismissed it as a fantasy she'd never fulfill... somewhere between a Vette and a Cayman, probably well older by the time we get ahold of it, I'm still looking at getting another toy one of these days. Next year, the youngest starts school and when she goes places during the day, she won't have a passenger. 2 seaters are already one seat too many! I've just got to sell her an another sports car. Maybe I can compromise and get rid of the truck. Or... just get a 5th car...

repeet thanked this.
  13. Civics4Ever

Civics4Ever Rally Red EXT

Swimming pool tech
    First Name:
    Gene
    Car(s):
    99 Civic DX, 16 EXT Civic Coupe
    Hey, he could be right. The 2.0 may last longer. So far I have almost 63,000 miles, not modded and it is still running perfect in every way.

saz468 thanked this.
  14. REBELXSi

REBELXSi Señor Member

Car(s):
    '18 Si Coupe
    They won't because they don't need to.

15. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    Damn nice, and yeah nothing beats the instant torque of a V8 off the line. I seriously love corvettes especially the C7 generation. They are seriously good value for money as far as sports cars go and I honestly consider one once If I could justify a Corvette. I've owned sport-y cars like my 6 MT Acura TL Type S and even my current M550i but never a purpose built sports car, one of my goals is to buy one in the near future and it has to be a manual, seriously miss rowing my own gears. I wouldn't even mind an Si but I like the convinience of a CVT or auto when in bumper to bumper traffic.