Scotty says "Buy the 2.0 Civic over the Turbo".

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He's right this time, but he's still a quack and annoying. It's a older less complicated motor. He's also a hater on other YouTubers.
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I hope it's not a Civic lol
Me too! LOL!

When the time comes, stick with the classics and get a Corvette
I am partial to the looks of the Camaro and they are closer to what I would prefer to afford :)

JFC!!!!! Stop putting words in my mouth! I NEVER said that it was needed "in order to be..." And you wonder why so many people on the forums bag on you...

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's a older less complicated motor.
Actually, the K20 in the Civic is not at all the classic K series. I was reading this on this very forum. It is a whole new base design but they called it K20xxx across the range of variants.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Actually, the K20 in the Civic is not at all the classic K series. I was reading this on this very forum. It is a whole new base design but they called it K20xxx across the range of variants.
My understanding is that all K series engines are based on the same thing, there are just different variants and displacements depending on the application. K20C2 is just a purposely detuned variant of the "classic" K series so that it doesn't eat into the 1.5 sales. Still has that VTEC changeover and sound, just revs a little lower and has a little less top end power.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My understanding is that all K series engines are based on the same thing
Did another google search and it seems that the K20C series may be based on the K24. In the K20C family so far, the most important parts are that the C2 is detuned and uses Port injection. The C1 uses DI and a different compression ratio and turbo from the C3/4 that is in the Accord and a few other non North American models.

Also, I at least heard that the C1 doesn't have balance shafts to cut down on weight.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I was on another thread that had a link a few days ago that provided some pretty interesting information about the substantial differences in the head on the K20C2... but these changes are specifically to improve engine performance through the use of DI and Forced Induction. Comparing the A3 from the base RSX and the C2 from the current Civic... other than compression ratio which likely makes the new engine more efficient, the engines post nearly identical numbers. The A3 also had VTEC, though it's goals were maximizing fuel efficiency over power, though with a much lower engagement point than a C2 has. There's no way the choked-up-for-NA head used on the C1 is used on the C2. While I bet the head is similar is what was on the K24Z7s off a 9th gen... I've also heard there were gains to be had by using that specific head over what had come on the C2. There was a thread about it while ago.

A3: 160 hp (119 kW) @ 6500 RPM 141 lbâ‹…ft (191 Nâ‹…m) @ 4000 RPM Redline: 6800 RPM (This is from the base RSX. The 7th gen Civic made the same peak HP, though a little less torque)
C2: 158 hp (118 kW) @ 6500 RPM 138 lbâ‹…ft (187 Nâ‹…m) @ 4200 RPM Redline 6700 RPM

To me, even if the engine is totally different than an old A3 other than having a "K20" in the name... power looks to be so similar, you could hop in a K20C2 powered car and essentially have the similar performance as a 7th gen Si or base RSX. About the same power. About the same weight.

Having already owned a A3 powered car... then 200 HP A2... then a 205 HP Z7... going to a C2 would have felt, to me, like a big step back so far as wanting a fun car w/some decent performance rather than just a good car for transportation. I owned the base RSX and Type-S and could drive them back to back and knew what I was missing every time I dove the base rather than the Type S. I can understand Scotty's mentality totally... as it was a fine engine and a known quantity in a lot of ways. It may have an integrated exhaust manifold... a higher compression ratio... maybe some new coatings in the combustion chamber and it's VTEC engagements different... but it isn't a radical departure from the early efficiency driven K20s from almost 20 years ago. I bet that most of the economy gains of the modern car are based on maybe the final drive being higher in the current 6 speeds and CVTs vs the older ATs and 5 speeds and compression ratio. They would have done even better adding DI... but maybe they decided there would be people wanting to hold out using the older system... and from a lot of the noise on the forums, that sounds pretty accurate. Scotty sure seems to like it. And no turbo too. Hey... it's one more piece with moving parts that could break and you could have to pay money to fix you could eliminate by buying a version of the car that goes without it. What's not to like?

Petergovea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2018
Country flag
There is no EX-L in Canada and the EX continues to use the 2.0 engine.
Only the touring and SI have the 1.5 liter turbo-charged engine in Coupe or Sedan body styles.

The Sport Sedan/Coupe, LX Sedan/Coupe and DX Sedan all have the 2.0 liter engine as well.
Honda knows what they are doing. Canadians would rather have the 2.0 liter engine.
Last year was possible to get the EX-T Sedan in Canada. For 2019, they took it away.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda knows what they are doing. Canadians would rather have the 2.0 liter engine.
Maybe... I've never seen a breakdown by trim of Civics sold... only total sales by country. If I was a Canadian, other than maybe killing Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I'd also at least want the choice of having a L15B7 powered car if I didn't want a performance oriented Si... but didn't want to shell out the loonies for a touring. The lack of choice sucks... but I assume they've got the sales figures to back up their decision.

OP
OP
NotSerious

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Maybe... I've never seen a breakdown by trim of Civics sold... only total sales by country. If I was a Canadian, other than maybe killing Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I'd also at least want the choice of having a L15B7 powered car if I didn't want a performance oriented Si... but didn't want to shell out the loonies for a touring. The lack of choice sucks... but I assume they've got the sales figures to back up their decision.
I am pretty sure the LX Sedan is the biggest seller in Canada. All of the hatchbacks have the turbo engine though, so there is enough selection if that is the engine you desire.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good point on the LX being better equipped in Canada than the US. That may negate the lack of a EX-T by a lot... even if there's a void for a comfort-centric turbo equipped sedan at a lower price point than the touring. A nicer LX at a similar price point than what we get in the states would be a raging deal.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don't know if he's a good mechanic, but he sure would make a damn good auctioneer.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m really tired of the “boosted engines break/don’t last” nonsense. Is the engine properly designed and built? That’s the key.

Certainly the 2.0 has a long track record for reliability,but that doesn’t mean the 1.5t will prove less so.

The airplane in the foreground is a DC-3. This one was built in 1940. This year it will become the oldest plane to circle the world. It has boosted engines (supercharged in this case). The have lasted 77 years with regular maintenance. Sure, some of that is quite extensive, but I’d gladly trust my life to this old gal any day.

So don’t tell me turboed engines won’t last.

Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty says "Buy the 2.0 Civic over the Turbo". 5F5D1722-EDF6-4C17-B12E-F211BFABA598
Sponsored