Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
so mechanics only know about, and know how to work on cars they actually own themselves?

sssuuuurrreeeee !!!!
Are you Scotty's bff? Lol
Sponsored

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
This bloke makes me piss myself laughing, he bangs on about the 1.5 turbo engine being this that and the other and the engine in front of him isn't even a 1.5 turbo!! What a total bellend (as we say in the uk) how the hell does he think people will take him seriously when he can't even have the correct engine in front of him?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
uuummmm.....he never claimed it was a 1.5L....i am not sure where you are getting that from ??

he never mentioned the 1.5L turbo engine ONE TIME in that entire video, which video were you watching ??

he is talking about all honda GDI engines in general

where are you getting this?

you must be watching a different video.....he never even talked about the 1.5L turbo specifically

uuummm....he was talking about the engine in front of him.....it is earth dreams GDI, just like the title of the video says
ummm are you being willfully ignorant. Every thing he is talking about is related to the 1.5t CRV, he even brings up China.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This bloke makes me piss myself laughing, he bangs on about the 1.5 turbo engine being this that and the other and the engine in front of him isn't even a 1.5 turbo!! What a total bellend (as we say in the uk) how the hell does he think people will take him seriously when he can't even have the correct engine in front of him?
Scotty is sometimes funny, but not so much in this video, definitely not to the point of pissin. :rofl: In fact I don't see anything particularly funny about it . :hmm: Rest assured that Scotty knows what kind of engine is in his backyard, because even I can tell, and I never owned this car. It's a 2015 Honda CR-V with the 2.4L i-VTEC naturally-aspirated direct injection engine. In contrast, what *you* may not know is that an increased tendency for oil dilution is not associated with the turbo, but with the DI.
As Scotty correctly says, it is facilitated by high injection pressure, and for this reason diesel engines and GDI engines are most affected. Other NA engines such as 2015 Mazda also have some oil dilution. This is not a Honda thing and definitely not a turbo thing, although the injection timing may be modified for turbo.

What not everybody realizes, including possibly Scotty, is that the high injection pressure is causing fuel blow-by not merely by just pushing the fuel harder out by the piston rings. Higher pressure also elevates the dew point of fuel vapors, so that the fuel condenses easier on the cylinder walls when the engine is not fully warmed up. And the liquid on the walls is the most direct cause of increased blow-by.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
He just needs to be a little clearer that he is talking about gdi specifically and not all earth dream technology engines. Because he keeps saying stay away from earth dream technology engines. I bought the 2.0 earth dreams I-vtec and I bought my girlfriend the 1.5 earth dreams turbo. Mine is port injected while hers is direct injected. Also on my engine the fuel rail and injectors are on the back, not on the top. Also the 1.5 turbo is not a I-vtec motor like the 2.0. I took some pictures for anybody to see. We will start with my 2.0
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. A250EFE4-61E4-4DB3-A6B9-3BE29CB06CC0
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. D8EDFB7F-CC4F-4317-B9CB-C322B073B28B
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. 96B2D73C-C7C9-4A09-9D6A-A8A3B9CBA387
as you can see it is an earth dreams I-vtec and there is clearly a fuel rail and injectors on the back because this engine is port injected. Now let’s look at the 1.5 turbo
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. 76A463FF-4655-401A-9657-7FE73B565999
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. 89605743-7413-4391-86BE-C389EE0AFAC0
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. CB6EE2EC-4155-4FA9-AB9E-49DB28EFA11F
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. EC86244C-BFBE-4A98-B7D9-D9F1585BD619
as you can see the back has no fuel rail or injectors. You do see the fuel line going to that big piece that he was talking about on the video.That because this engine does have gdi. You also notice it only says turbo on the 1.5. That’s because it is not an I-vtec. The last two pictures are a comparison of my engine and my girlfriend’s engine on the side that big piece he was talking about. You will see there is nothing there on mine
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. B5DDB867-B6C2-4D99-9702-6EA7F5D0F7CD
and you will see it is there on my girlfriends 1.5
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. 584FA4BF-9B3A-44F6-8026-0D68EEC18A0C
I hope this helps clear things up a bit. Yes the man is smart about engines. But in this case he needs to not mention earth dreams technology over and over and just say gdi. Because not all earth dream engines are direct injected

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
In the engineering sense "Earth Dreams Technology" has no meaning whatsoever. Scotty may not know this, but I also did not fully realize this in the beginning.

It is a purely marketing term or an idea to sell. It means building cars that are nice to the environment, but also fun to drive, by means of a bunch of various contributing tricks. Any engine can be called "Earth Dreams."

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
uuummmm.....he never claimed it was a 1.5L....i am not sure where you are getting that from ??

he never mentioned the 1.5L turbo engine ONE TIME in that entire video, which video were you watching ??

he is talking about all honda GDI engines in general

where are you getting this?

you must be watching a different video.....he never even talked about the 1.5L turbo specifically

uuummm....he was talking about the engine in front of him.....it is earth dreams GDI, just like the title of the video says

UUUUMMMM my grandmother always said if you cant say anything nice then don't say it at all!!

beatleknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTX
Country flag
out of all of the people out there with the 1.5L engine, you are the minority
I guess I’m in the minority as well. But I live in a warm/hot region of California where temps are in the 100s in the summer. Plus, I take a long highway drive at least every other weekend.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've said this before and maybe I'm wrong but I'll say it again. This whole oil dilution "dilemma" is being blown out of proportion. Yes, all GDI engines have some amount of oil dilution. In small amounts, oil dilution is no big deal. If the dilution is severe, well, that's another story.

Think about it. Many car manufacturers continue to produce and use GDI engines in their new cars. They are in business to make money, right? If GDI engines are costing them money in terms of failures or repair/ warranty work, don't you think they'd stop selling them?

The problem seems to be worse in situations where the engine doesn't get brought up to normal operating temps. That's why Honda's "fix" was rolled out to cold weather climates. The easy workaround is to make sure you don't only drive short trips (a few miles or less) and then shut the engine off on a regular basis. Even back in the day we all knew that short trips where the engine never warmed up were hard on the engine.

Enjoy your turbo GDI engines!

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i guess most people in my area are also in the minority.
in the local civic group only one person noticed any noticable rise in oil levels due to gas. out of about 150 cars.
we live in canada. we get cold. the one that noticed it did not get enough fuel in the gas in a normal mm cycle to harm anything. and that was before the so called fix.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some great information I found online from a guy in the know. I think he's right on the money and this is a must read for all 1.5 owners...

Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. IMG_20190605_113027
Honda Civic 10th gen Scotty on the Earth-Dreams GDI engines. IMG_20190605_112954

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Here's some great information I found online from a guy in the know. I think he's right on the money and this is a must read for all 1.5 owners...

IMG_20190605_113027.jpg
IMG_20190605_112954.jpg
there you go @Mikey1. a counterpoint to scotty's video. who do you trust more? is 0.1% enough to not buy a di engine?
i wonder what % of wrx's are still having ringland problems. etc.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
there you go @Mikey1. a counterpoint to scotty's video. who do you trust more? is 0.1% enough to not buy a di engine?
i wonder what % of wrx's are still having ringland problems. etc.
sound like some BS there.
Honda already anounced an extended warranty for over 1 million CRVs and Civics with the 1.5T engines. They also acknowledged the oil/fuel dilution.

People arent denying oil/fuel dilution. People are concerned about excessive oil/fuel dilution. This becomes a Large issue considering you as a car consumer do not have a choice between a Port or DI engine with new cars. You get what the Honda engineers pump out.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
The amount of butthurt about scottys video is hilarious.

"no not my car, scotty is a F^&%ing idiot."

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_20190605_113027.jpg
IMG_20190605_112954.jpg
Been off for a while so i know its an old post however I was concerned about this issue and was planning putting the new Mobil 1 0-16 oil not sure i need it now thanks for a very informative post