SCCA Solo Legal 19 in rims

OP
OP
chi town brat

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
@RacingManiac I don't think i have seen that mph from my 265s but my data is always screwy. According to Danny Kao the 285 on that rim is Stretched and not recommended for street use. If you like slip angle I have heard the Rivals are what one should buy.

@jmark I have a set of red stems installed on my NSX rims because I as well Hate the rubber ones.
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Hi Jen - 265/35x19 lets you run a square setup, but 285's up front seem to be faster:
IIRC, Danny Kao's car had 245 rear and a Karcepts bar.

Myself, I preferred 255/35x19's over 265's, but that is almost certainly because I just don't like the steering feel of tires cantilevered onto narrow (for the tire size) rims, and my local events are slower.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Coming from a GS GTI I am pretty used to balloon tires on narrow wheels(I also mount my own, though I haven't done 19s so who knows). What are the more common 19s used, 265/35 or 265/40?

I probably won't run 285s just from prior experience on 285s on 8.5 on a different car. The Rival S when it comes out(if it comes out) will only be 275 and 315 for 19" sizes, so there won't be any options other than 275 for us. I use Rival S on my GTI so I'd probably try it on the Type R when it becomes a thing. Always more to consider is the persistent rumor of a Continental branded Hoosier 200TW tires, if it comes next year it'll be interesting to try those if it comes with 19s....

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
The 275 rival might end up being a good choice, due to their heat tolerance over the RE71s. However, even a properly sized rival has a mushier steering response than the RE71, so I can’t imagine what a pinched rival’s turn-in feels like...

The Bridgestones have really good steering response and instill confidence, but once they get too hot, you’ll notice increased understeer (This is in TX where most of our events are close to 100 degrees). So there are definitely trade offs depending on your climate, driving style, and preference.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I am very familiar with Rival's weird steering feedback. We've ran back to back testing on the GTI on same size wheels and tires and the car feels noticeably less sharp in the same shock setting. On the GTI at least I can up the damping force to get some of that back but obviously that won't be the case in the Type R. But FWIW we've also autocrossed Rival on stock struts on the GTI and if you just change your input timing to compensate the car is still pretty fast. The wider grip/understeer threshold on the Rival S 1.5s made the GTI much easier to drive vs the sharp dropoff on the RE71Rs. So if BFG comes to this car I'll definitely try them(still similarly nose heavy/high torque FWD car like the GTI was).

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
I've been running a 285/245 setup for this whole season and its been ok for me. If the 275 rivals come out i'll be jumping onto those immediately. Theres another CTR locally that just tried out a 275/35/19 RE71R up front and it looks like it's working ok for him too.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Anybody used aluminum valve stems with the NSX rims? I can't stand the OEM rubber valve stems.
yes, i am using rays engineering euro valve stem (#51). i bought them from nengun.com.
https://www.nengun.com/rays/air-valvestem

for tires, i am currently on 255/35 RE71Rs for this season (so i can rotate). only had a test n tune and one race so getting more seat time.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Talking with BFG rep on site at 2018 Solo Nats he mentioned that Rival S in 275/35/19 will be out in 4th quarter of this year. Which potentially could fit Type R, at least in the front. Anyone tried anything that wide in the rear to know if it'll have issues?

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Talking with BFG rep on site at 2018 Solo Nats he mentioned that Rival S in 275/35/19 will be out in 4th quarter of this year. Which potentially could fit Type R, at least in the front. Anyone tried anything that wide in the rear to know if it'll have issues?
Yep, in an event 2 weeks ago prior to solo gnats, I picked up a fast leaking puncture on course on one of my 245 rears. The only option I had was to swap on my spare front 285s to the rears (luckily I carry spare fronts to every event) for the rest of my runs. Worked completely fine... actually didn’t notice much difference in how the car drove to be honest (perhaps a touch looser)

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol Gnats....

thats good info, I'll definitely be trying the BFGs next season so thats good to know.

OP
OP
chi town brat

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know that I will try the Rivals due to their poor performance in the rain, which we got A Lot of here in Florida. Driving back and forth for hours on end to an event is not so much fun on tires that cannot handle the downpours.

I am thinking of switching from the 265/19 to the 255/19s. I won't do a staggered setup as I like the fact that I can rotate the tires after each event. Concrete and REs do not make a tire last long.

Congrats to the Reyenso's for winning DS and DSL SCCA Solo National Championships in conditions that surely would have put money on the Subies.

OP
OP
chi town brat

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also I applied to be a tester on GRM for Vredestein. If selected I'll be making comparisons to the RE71Rs out on course and around town. They do make a 19 inch in the size i am looking for. So hopefully I'll be selected and like the tires cause if not it will be a long 6 months of me complaining. LOL.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran Rivals now on GTI, and I prefer them over Bridgestones. You gonna need actual wets if it rains like it did this year at gnats, which is what my plan is migrating to is I need a 2nd set of class legal 19s for mounting something like PS4S or ECSs and carry the racing 19s so I have the tires for either.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ran Rivals now on GTI, and I prefer them over Bridgestones. You gonna need actual wets if it rains like it did this year at gnats, which is what my plan is migrating to is I need a 2nd set of class legal 19s for mounting something like PS4S or ECSs and carry the racing 19s so I have the tires for either.
Why not mount a set of PS4S’ on the stock 20s? That’s my plan I think.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think with the 2nd set of 19s I might just end up DDing them for the summer, and relegate my 18s for winter tires only. I definitely won't DD the 20s. Its possible to use the 20s as transit tires with rains but the risk of destroying the wheels in Michigan is still high.

Also with a 2nd set of 19s I can have option to do tire testing if I want to compare Bridgestones with BFG, or with Contihoosier if it ever becomes a thing...
Sponsored