Saying "It is just a 35k Civic at the end of the day" . . . Makes me so mad

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Are they? Define performance. They are Heavy, Underpowered for that weight and cant do anything but go straight. The Challenger specifically is a boat towing an anchor. The heaviest car of the bunch with the least power.
The lower models of these cars, especially with their performance pack, typically handle better than the v8 versions.
Sponsored

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
I really enjoy my CTR, but it IS just a $35k civic at the end of the day. It's a blast to drive and clearly unique in some ways from other Civics, but it doesn't have the style or features of a $60k vehicle. It's a fantastic value in my opinion, but if you're looking for "respect" in the auto-enthusiast world, the Type R isn't the car to do it with. It's a hot hatch, not an exotic, or even pure sports car.

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
I really enjoy my CTR, but it IS just a $35k civic at the end of the day. It's a blast to drive and clearly unique in some ways from other Civics, but it doesn't have the style or features of a $60k vehicle. It's a fantastic value in my opinion, but if you're looking for "respect" in the auto-enthusiast world, the Type R isn't the car to do it with. It's a hot hatch, not an exotic, or even pure sports car.
the type R isn't a pure sports car? what is then sir?

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Bwahahaha.... respect. Know how many car meets I go too and people walk right past those pure sports cars and come take pictures of the R? Lots!

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Bwahahaha.... respect. Know how many car meets I go too and people walk right past those pure sports cars and come take pictures of the R? Lots!
Seems like you're running the gamut of responses then - being pretty frustrated that people aren't respecting what it is and also very satisfied at how many people don't care about other cars compared to ours :)

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I could say the new Toyota corolla is a "hot hatch" but it's definitely not a sports car. I really could care less what people think or say about the R but to say it's not a sports car is over stepping.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
You have to learn to love it.

I collect watches, many of them. Seiko has some incredible watches. They used to be made in a single studio, by hand, in Tokyo, and generally only sold in Japan. Now you can buy them in more places around the world. That just changed in the last 10 or so years. I can have on a watch that's $5K and when someone eyes it and asks the inevitable question, "What kind of watch is that? How much do those cost?", I reply, "It's just a Seiko." Crisis averted.

You have to learn the same about the Type R. It's one of the reasons I love it so much. No matter how much you spend on a car, there's always that little Type R. It's cheap. It's reliable as hell. It has incredible resale value. It hauls 12 40lb bags of topsoil, at the same time it can haul 4 adults comfortably (thanks to Comfort mode and 4 seats). The list goes on and on.

The Type R is arguably "the best car" when you factor in everything. I believe it is. Relish the intelligence of owning one and be proud it's just a Civic.

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
I could say the new Toyota corolla is a "hot hatch" but it's definitely not a sports car. I really could care less what people think or say about the R but to say it's not a sports car is over stepping.
Well it isn't a pure sports car. I don't think that takes away from it. Putting aside it's a four door, and the discussion on whether a "sports car" can have more than 2 doors, it's a compact sedan frame/body. They swapped out the drivetrain and suspension of course, but it's not as though it was designed from the ground up as a sports car. It's a retrofit. I'd argue a mighty fine retrofit worth every penny I paid for it, but the S2000 and the NSX were Honda's pure sportcars. This one is a compromise so we can haul the babies and the 2x4s and still shred the mountain pass :)

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Seems like you're running the gamut of responses then - being pretty frustrated that people aren't respecting what it is and also very satisfied at how many people don't care about other cars compared to ours :)
It would seem. The R has mad respect, lots of admirers and holds lots of records and awards. Guess thats why the dismissive comments get me. Its fine not to like it but no need to be dicks about it. So its those people im addressing with this post. :) im gonna go to mustang groups and start going well its just a mustang to the high end models. Bet they wont like it none either. Lol

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well it isn't a pure sports car. I don't think that takes away from it. Putting aside it's a four door, and the discussion on whether a "sports car" can have more than 2 doors, it's a compact sedan frame/body. They swapped out the drivetrain and suspension of course, but it's not as though it was designed from the ground up as a sports car. It's a retrofit. I'd argue a mighty fine retrofit worth every penny I paid for it, but the S2000 and the NSX were Honda's pure sportcars. This one is a compromise so we can haul the babies, and the 2x4s and still shred the mountain pass :)
Fair enough, we all have different opinions...I personally think it's a pure and fun sports car but I can understand your way of viewing it.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i'm surprised there are people that think like me. It is a 35k civic in the end.
It's not a sports car, it's a hot hatch.

Just like another thread that asked if the ctr is a sports car or not. It's not to me. No matter how well it handles, and how fast it is, it is not a sports car. I love the car and is certainly capable of keeping up and beating "sports cars" but it isn't a sports car in my eyes.
Sponsored