Featured Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

1. BarracksSi

BarracksSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
    I would have preferred to replace my EP3 with a CR-Z. My wife vetoed it, though -- too small, she said, and she didn't want to have to learn to drive stick.

2. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    According to the article in your link workers at GM are striking because of electric cars, which allegedly require less labor to assemble. (Btw. Why only "moving parts"? From the point of view of labor needed for assembly there is no difference between moving and not moving parts. A screw still has to be screwed. Toyota says their cars are made of about 30,000 parts, so it seems like 125 is not a big difference https://www.toyota.co.jp/en/kids/faq/d/01/04/)

I don't think robots are the problem for UAW today.. The engine for my car was assembled in Thailand and the transmission in Japan, so they came to the assembly plant in the UK as just 2 parts. It wouldn't matter to the trade union members in the UK whether the engine and the transmission were assembled by the Asians or by robots - they still were not needed to assemble them. Just like the American UAW members are not so much threatened by robots but by other people getting the job.

3. freezingmoon

freezingmoon Member

First Name:
    Jon
    Car(s):
    2018 civic si coupe
    Anyone protesting the idea of a hybrid awd type R is just stuck in the past honestly... Honda has always set the bar with technology to make their cars superior to their competitors, this is just the next logical step in progression... and it makes perfect sense...

4. Hoang_Honda

Hoang_Honda Senior Member

First Name:
    Hoang
    Car(s):
    15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
    Ford makes next gen Focus RS as hybrid then I dont see thats a bad idea for Honda to make the Type R a hybrid. It will be more fun with awd and faster than currently FK8 plus u dont have go to gas station frequently to pump that small gas tank lmao

5. OP
    OP
    ExVTEC

ExVTEC Senior Member

First Name:
    Elliot
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR
    Anyone promoting the idea of a hybrid type r loves throwing away money honestly ;)

Other than making the car more expensive to buy, maintain and repair what benefit does the hybrid system add that the ICE and modern drivetrains can't already do? Whatever little fuel efficiency you might gain will take years to recover the costs. Look at the NSX. That car could be 20-30k cheaper and sell a lot more and could still be made to perform equal to or better.

6. thatonedaveguy

thatonedaveguy Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    19' CW Civic Type R #22487
    AWD and Hybrid would both make the Type R far worse.

The Type R is as good as it is largely because it is lighter than all of its competitors. AWD is heavy. Hybrid or electric systems are heavy.

Nothing reduces how fun a car is to drive more than weight. Tesla P100D is super quick in a straight line but it is not a fun car to drive or live with if you care at all about the driving experience due to how crazy heavy it is.

No interest in a Type R that handles like a boat.

7. switterion

switterion Member

First Name:
    Arnold
    Car(s):
    Civic Si Coupe 2019
    Still don’t get why this is sad news. Honda has been making huge progress in Formula 1 (most efficient-ever racing engines) with their turbocharged hybrid engines competing with the likes of ferrari and mercedes benz, not to mention they have the engines with the best sound overall:drive:

I’m more than excited on how that technology will translate into everyday cars.

Drake thanked this.
  8. alias Igme

alias Igme Senior Member

Car(s):
    Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
    The idea of an electric motor is not bothering me. My biggest concern is the battery. Although Tesla owners (or so i read/heard somewhere) were saying they experienced small battery degradation over 5 years, my electrical devices (phones, laptops, etc.) makes me still feel uncomfortable with battery technology.

Depending on the type of hybrid, the conventional engine might at least alleviate the impact of batteries running bad.

9. RayLeng

RayLeng Lengray

automobile manufacture
    First Name:
    Ray
    Car(s):
    Honda fit
    I heard from some people , next gen of CTR will have two kind of powertrain. DCT and MT..