Featured Sad news...MK6 Civic Type R may go hybrid

1. Dis4Damion

Dis4Damion Senior Member

Business Analyst
    First Name:
    Damion
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback; 2012 Kia Soul +
    I don't think Honda would ever do that, but an automatic Type R/Si would be welcome in my book.

2. RunningHot2017

RunningHot2017 20 years. Smashing gears.

First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si
    I'm hoping it will be more of a 'soft' hybrid option. Soft in my case meaning that the electric motor has a very limited role. The motor activates only on takeoffs and stop/go and deactivates once the car gets out of first gear I guess.
    While the car may traditionally not be FWD the electric motor will negate turbo lag down low (which the type r has more of than a civic si) and will significantly improve the gas mileage by cutting the amount of fuel used only when accelerating from a stop.
    Potentially for a manual car (if it has a manual option) having an electric motor for an assisted start can save the clutch too.

Besides if someone buys a hybrid type R, they might not care less about tradition anyway.

3. Axatax

Axatax Senior Member

Underwear model for JCPenny
    In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
    Car(s):
    2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
    Both ICE and electric power trains are so reliable now a days I don't think a hybrid car has to be a liability.

We've had two Prius' and one Civic Hybrid in our family and the stuff that breaks the most is.... Well, nothing.

Maybe if you're buying a German car you're used to fixing all kinds of stuff but this has not been my personal experience with Japanese cars.

Zumoney thanked this.
  4. jasonklor

jasonklor Member

First Name:
    jasonLOR
    Car(s):
    2001 Integra Type R #700 & 2019 Civic Type R #25455
    I think it would be awesome to see the next type R utilize the Hybrid SH-AWD. I don’t see anything wrong with AWD Honda’s. It’s really the next step in Honda’s evolution, i.e: Gen 2 NSX or AWD K and B series swaps utilizing all Honda parts. I believe the Hybrid SH-AWD is the next big thing for Honda that will put them ahead of the competition. Although I can’t see them doing it to the Civic, but I do see them implementing it on the newly revived Integra Type R!

5. alexrawdriguez

alexrawdriguez Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 civic si sedan

I feel like going AWD will give the similar response that going turbo did in a good way. Most people will bash "ahhh fwd lighter " but once they start purchasing and driving an all wheel drive honda they will praise it. I knew die hard Honda fans that bashed turbo platforms and preached all motor and some of them are now driving a 10th gen and loving turbo lol. I will say some still prefer all motor so it is what it is I think it was about time Honda went turbo my only complain is how small the displacement in the Si is but it is what it is.

6. coo1rim

coo1rim Senior Member

driver
    Car(s):
    1998 civic, 2006 yaris, 2008 rav4, 2012 carmy, 2017 Civic LX
    #36 coo1rim, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Given how well tuned modern fwd have become, only advantage to awd is climbing in the slick stuff.

Around the turn much easier to control weight when the front's doing all the pulling, not so easy with awd or rwd.

7. rfor28

rfor28 New Member

First Name:
    Robin
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR, 2002 Chevy Silverado, 2000 Infiniti I30, 1985 Toyota Celica Supra, 1981 Toyota Celica Sunchaser
    From what I have read, the current generation of type R were originally to be available in AWD. However, the weight was not distributed nearly as well on the AWD as it was with the FWD, and that's why the AWD didn't make the final cut. Honda intends to have AWD available on the next generation Type R, or so the rumors go.

8. KoukiVAB

KoukiVAB Member

Car(s):
    18 CTR, 19 TLX
    It's nothing more than a rumor for now.
    It might happen. I'm not saying it can't happen or anything like that.
    But it's not the first time that the media's all over this hybrid rumor.
    Next gen Golf R, Focus RS, STI will all go hybrid according to all these "rumors."
    Chances of that actually happening? I don't know. But at least one of them will gas-only for sure.
    In fact, there were SAME rumors before the launch of current gen RS, R and even CTR.
    Did it happen? No.