mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Didn't wanna make a new thread so just gonna post this here. There's dyno results for thr catless downpipe, but are there any plans to dyno test the catted? I want to see how much power I can expect to gain before I drop money on this.
I don’t know where there is a dyno in my area but I might decide to take my car to a dyno for research purposes.
Sponsored

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Yeah keep us posted please. I’ll be installing mine next week. I don’t know if I should keep my defouler the depth that RV6 sent it, or go ahead and give it a clockwise twist right off the bat?
As of now, the 2 people (acid.fly and myself) that I'm aware of that has this catted downpipe installed both experience the CEL, so you're likely to get the same issue as well. I'll keep you updated on whether turning it works.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As of now, the 2 people (acid.fly and myself) that I'm aware of that has this catted downpipe installed both experience the CEL, so you're likely to get the same issue as well. I'll keep you updated on whether turning it works.
I wonder if anybody knew what codes were coming up without the defouler

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I don't have any insight to that, but I can confirm that my CEL code is the same one that the other guy has.

Also, CEL came on again, so I turned the defouler clockwise again for a 3rd time. It won't go any further than that, so let's hope it works this time.

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 20191021_201929

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have any insight to that, but I can confirm that my CEL code is the same one that the other guy has.

Also, CEL came on again, so I turned the defouler clockwise again for a 3rd time. It won't go any further than that, so let's hope it works this time.

20191021_201929.jpg
Hmm I hope it does to. Thanks for the updates

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately it came on again, so hopefully @RV6 can chime in with some insight.
Yeah hopefully they can figure it out. But it might be up to the feedback of the customers to figure it out. I looked online and there are different designs of defoulers. Maybe the one we got just isn’t the right one for the application. Maybe we need a shorter one that allows the oxygen sensor to get a little closer to the stream. I’m no expert but that’s just a guess

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

20191021_201929.jpg
Isnt it possible to just disable the secondary O2 sensor from Ktuner and have peace of mind?

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Isnt it possible to just disable the secondary O2 sensor from Ktuner and have peace of mind?
It is, but I don't think that will pass state inspection without having to tune it to disable the code and disconnect the battery to reset the ECU right before every inspection, and re-tuning it afterwards to disable the CEL again. Ideally hoping to avoid that annoying process if possible.

As for an update, the CEL went off a day or two after I last posted and hasn't been back since...hopefully I didn't jinx it and it stays off lol.

OP
OP
RV6

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry guys for the late reply. Been a little under the weather and busy with a engagement.

My CEL has been going on and off as well so I really appreciate the suggestion- I'm relatively noobish at these things so pardon my poor use of terminology, but can you please confirm whether I'm correctly understanding the components you're referring to in the pic below?

Also, mind specifying what size wrench i'll require and whether I can turn the jam nut and defouler without removing the entire downpipe?

Thanks so much in advance!
You should be able to adjust defouler without removing the downpipe. However you will need need to remove the O2 sensor.

The size of the nut is 27mm however we just use a adjustable wrench.

Yeah hopefully that helps. Mine should be in tomorrow. So I will be installing mine soon. I guess I’ll have to adjust mine before I install it? I’m not sure how to approach mine.
Yeah keep us posted please. I’ll be installing mine next week. I don’t know if I should keep my defouler the depth that RV6 sent it, or go ahead and give it a clockwise twist right off the bat?
It is strange that the test car has only had the CEL pop up once. Perhaps other mods and tuning might have something to do with it. That being said it probably wouldn't hurt to turn it in 1-2 turns since no one has gotten a P0420 yet. You get a P0420 when you read too much exhaust gasses.

I actually wound up resetting my ECU by disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for 30 mins and the CEL light was off when I turned it on afterwards. I just hope it stays that way lol. If not, I'll give the defouler another clockwise turn and keep doing that one turn at a time until hopefully the CEL stays off.

I recommend tightening the defouler like RV6 suggested before installing the downpipe since it seems the CEL is expected to come on if you don't. Even if you do it after installation, it only took me a few minutes to successfully tighten it so it doesn't really make much of a difference unless it's torqued down excessively and you need more wrench clearance to un-do it.

I can update if the CEL comes back on again in case 1 turn isn't enough.
All right, so unfortunately I have another update regarding the CEL...it came on again. I went ahead and turned the defouler clockwise for another full turn and reset the ECU so lets see if that helps.

Unfortunately it came on again, so hopefully @RV6 can chime in with some insight.
How long does it usually take between reseting and the code coming up. I wonder if you can just put the sensor directly into the pipe to avoid this CEL. We also have a short spacer that might work instead of the angled one. How about you try putting the O2 sensor directly into the downpipe. If that doesn't work shoot me a PM and I will send you some short straight defoulers to try.

Didn't wanna make a new thread so just gonna post this here. There's dyno results for thr catless downpipe, but are there any plans to dyno test the catted? I want to see how much power I can expect to gain before I drop money on this.
We do plan on dynoing the catted version in the future. We just moved to a new shop and still have to reconnect our dyno.

The test car is running find without CELs. Can you and acid.fly please post what mods you have.

Yeah hopefully they can figure it out. But it might be up to the feedback of the customers to figure it out. I looked online and there are different designs of defoulers. Maybe the one we got just isn’t the right one for the application. Maybe we need a shorter one that allows the oxygen sensor to get a little closer to the stream. I’m no expert but that’s just a guess
I have some shorties we can try.

It is, but I don't think that will pass state inspection without having to tune it to disable the code and disconnect the battery to reset the ECU right before every inspection, and re-tuning it afterwards to disable the CEL again. Ideally hoping to avoid that annoying process if possible.

As for an update, the CEL went off a day or two after I last posted and hasn't been back since...hopefully I didn't jinx it and it stays off lol.
It seems like like everyone is able to go days before the CEL pops up. You can always enable the code and baby the car for ~20 miles until all the monitors set and pass the test before disabling it again.

Sounds like we are close to a solution. Maybe running a straight defouler or shortening the existing one slightly.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
How long does it usually take between reseting and the code coming up. I wonder if you can just put the sensor directly into the pipe to avoid this CEL. We also have a short spacer that might work instead of the angled one. How about you try putting the O2 sensor directly into the downpipe. If that doesn't work shoot me a PM and I will send you some short straight defoulers to try.
After an ECU reset the CEL light will be off, but will come on the next day and stays on for that day and possibly the next day, then goes off for 1-2 days, then back on. I recall acid.fly reported the same thing happening to him too. Also, thanks for the support! I'll give that a try and post an update.

The test car is running find without CELs. Can you and acid.fly please post what mods you have.
I have the AEM Intake installed along with KTuner. I'd imagine the downpipe was tested with KTuner in mind, so I wonder how much of a factor the AEM intake is.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
So I just went ahead and attempted to connect the O2 sensor directly into the downpipe, but unfortunately I was unable to test whether that worked due to the wires now being too short to connect to it due to the positioning of the O2 sensor being moved away by several inches (along with the wires facing 90 degrees to the side instead of pointed directly up to where it plugs in). An additional male/female extension cable (just like the one that came with the downpipe) should provide enough length to connect it successfully with some extra wiggle room.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
lol, dyno. It's a monstrous improvement. Driving without it sucked. The car just zips and goes, and riiips at high rev. It's a joke to question if it's worth it. Tune, pipe and go.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Sorry guys for the late reply. Been a little under the weather and busy with a engagement.

You should be able to adjust defouler without removing the downpipe. However you will need need to remove the O2 sensor.

The size of the nut is 27mm however we just use a adjustable wrench.

It is strange that the test car has only had the CEL pop up once. Perhaps other mods and tuning might have something to do with it. That being said it probably wouldn't hurt to turn it in 1-2 turns since no one has gotten a P0420 yet. You get a P0420 when you read too much exhaust gasses.

We do plan on dynoing the catted version in the future. We just moved to a new shop and still have to reconnect our dyno.

I have some shorties we can try.

It seems like like everyone is able to go days before the CEL pops up. You can always enable the code and baby the car for ~20 miles until all the monitors set and pass the test before disabling it again.

Sounds like we are close to a solution. Maybe running a straight defouler or shortening the existing one slightly.
I have Ktuner and full K&N intake.

Haven't adjusted the defouler as of yet. But it usually takes about 50 miles or two days before it flags. Last cycle CEL stayed on for about a week until temps dropped from 90F to 60F, but it came back on later that same night.
Sponsored