2.0L RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Only special tool you'll need is the socket for an O2 sensor. It's one of the most standard. 7/8" 22mm, about $10 at Autozone?

If you don't already have a torque wrench, it's not required, but suggested. What I'm about to say sounds scary, but extremely unlikely, if you over torque by hand you can snap off a bolt into your head and that's a huge headache to remove. Just tighten til it feels reasonable/doesn't move. When I used my torque wrench they were already perfect.
Sponsored

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Only special tool you'll need is the socket for an O2 sensor. It's one of the most standard. 7/8" 22mm, about $10 at Autozone?

If you don't already have a torque wrench, it's not required, but suggested. What I'm about to say sounds scary, but extremely unlikely, if you over torque by hand you can snap off a bolt into your head and that's a huge headache to remove. Just tighten til it feels reasonable/doesn't move. When I used my torque wrench they were already perfect.
Thanks for the details! I already installed mine ASAP the other day (and experienced some complications such as spilling half my socket set into the engine bay and later stripping the cheap 12mm socket I had and having to run to Lowes mid-installation to grab a new one), but your post will certainly help people doing the same thing in the future!

This is the video I followed (it's for the catless version, but everything still applies just the same):

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
CEL has gone off and on two times in the last week. Seems to be about 2-3 days off, 2 days on, 3rd day its off again. *shrug* Kind of annoying. Need to run some logging to provide to RV6 for analysis... It's definitely the second O2 sensor flagging, though. Not sure if it's rich or low flow, need to pull the detailed code report.

OP
OP
RV6

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CEL has gone off and on two times in the last week. Seems to be about 2-3 days off, 2 days on, 3rd day its off again. *shrug* Kind of annoying. Need to run some logging to provide to RV6 for analysis... It's definitely the second O2 sensor flagging, though. Not sure if it's rich or low flow, need to pull the detailed code report.
Do you know what code you are getting? Might just take a little tweak of defouler to run code free.

OP
OP
RV6

RV6

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rv6-p.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2023 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup. Second O2 sensor.
Try giving the defouler 1 turn in to pick up more exhaust gases. We ship them 2 turns out.
1. Remove O2 sensor
2. Loosen jam nut on defouler
3. Turn clockwise 1 turn to get it deeper into O2 bung.
4. Tighten jam nut
5. Replace O2 sensor

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Try giving the defouler 1 turn in to pick up more exhaust gases. We ship them 2 turns out.
1. Remove O2 sensor
2. Loosen jam nut on defouler
3. Turn clockwise 1 turn to get it deeper into O2 bung.
4. Tighten jam nut
5. Replace O2 sensor
My CEL has been going on and off as well so I really appreciate the suggestion- I'm relatively noobish at these things so pardon my poor use of terminology, but can you please confirm whether I'm correctly understanding the components you're referring to in the pic below?

Also, mind specifying what size wrench i'll require and whether I can turn the jam nut and defouler without removing the entire downpipe?

Thanks so much in advance!

Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers Clarification

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
My CEL has been going on and off as well so I really appreciate the suggestion- I'm relatively noobish at these things so pardon my poor use of terminology, but can you please confirm whether I'm correctly understanding the components you're referring to in the pic below?

Also, mind specifying what size wrench i'll require and whether I can turn the jam nut and defouler without removing the entire downpipe?

Thanks so much in advance!

Clarification.jpg
So just to update: I figured it out and fortunately it turned out to be very simple and there was enough room to finaggle the wrenches to remove the O2 sensor and loosen the jam nut enough to turn the "L" shaped thing once clockwise - so It looks like the answers to my above questions are all "yes".

Afterwards I turned the engine on and the CEL light was still on, but I'll keep my fingers crossed it hopefully goes away soon.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
So just to update: I figured it out and fortunately it turned out to be very simple and there was enough room to finaggle the wrenches to remove the O2 sensor and loosen the jam nut enough to turn the "L" shaped thing once clockwise - so It looks like the answers to my above questions are all "yes".

Afterwards I turned the engine on and the CEL light was still on, but I'll keep my fingers crossed it hopefully goes away soon.
Yeah hopefully that helps. Mine should be in tomorrow. So I will be installing mine soon. I guess I’ll have to adjust mine before I install it? I’m not sure how to approach mine.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
Yeah hopefully that helps. Mine should be in tomorrow. So I will be installing mine soon. I guess I’ll have to adjust mine before I install it? I’m not sure how to approach mine.
I actually wound up resetting my ECU by disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for 30 mins and the CEL light was off when I turned it on afterwards. I just hope it stays that way lol. If not, I'll give the defouler another clockwise turn and keep doing that one turn at a time until hopefully the CEL stays off.

I recommend tightening the defouler like RV6 suggested before installing the downpipe since it seems the CEL is expected to come on if you don't. Even if you do it after installation, it only took me a few minutes to successfully tighten it so it doesn't really make much of a difference unless it's torqued down excessively and you need more wrench clearance to un-do it.

I can update if the CEL comes back on again in case 1 turn isn't enough.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well my RV6 catted downpipe shows it is on the fedex truck on its way to my house. I’ll take some pics when it gets here. I won’t be able to install it though because I dropped my car at the shop to get my spoiler painted and installed earlier and will be a couple days before I get it back. But at least I’ll post the condition of the downpipe and how the ceramic coating came out.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok well here are some pics I took of the RV6 downpipe. I tried to get enough to show how awesome the craftsmanship is on this part. They really got a lot of pride in their work! I could say it’s damn near perfect. Now the fitment I will have to do an update once it’s installed. But for a visual inspection, it was properly wrapped with bubble wrap and paper to make sure it gets to where it’s going without being damaged. The welds, ceramic coating, and assembly look great. But anyways here are the pics
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 607E59FE-1F88-4574-9450-5303CA587663
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 95FAD87F-33C5-4C9B-BFC7-9CACD62D6395
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 5F1CFB55-0779-4195-AE04-CC04842ED91D
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers DA28E9A6-220A-4F6B-B20D-7388E3AA1866
and in case anybody was wondering, yes that is light you can see through the catalytic converter
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 1DC98EA6-23E2-4B76-8F52-28674D1F2BF8
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers F3A768EF-B866-467E-A417-1C200F5D8A20
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers B53BA80A-B121-45C0-8124-46A1DF7C53D3
Honda Civic 10th gen RV6 Looking for 2.0L Downpipe BETA Testers 1ACB3CB7-2542-4D06-88C8-3D255185A389

Last edited:

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
All right, so unfortunately I have another update regarding the CEL...it came on again. I went ahead and turned the defouler clockwise for another full turn and reset the ECU so lets see if that helps.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All right, so unfortunately I have another update regarding the CEL...it came on again. I went ahead and turned the defouler clockwise for another full turn and reset the ECU so lets see if that helps.
Yeah keep us posted please. I’ll be installing mine next week. I don’t know if I should keep my defouler the depth that RV6 sent it, or go ahead and give it a clockwise twist right off the bat?

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Didn't wanna make a new thread so just gonna post this here. There's dyno results for thr catless downpipe, but are there any plans to dyno test the catted? I want to see how much power I can expect to gain before I drop money on this.
Sponsored