FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
Only 15.000miles.
Anyone else seen such crusty rusty plugs?. Inletvalves and injectors are looking bad too .
Maybe the Coils are not able to shut down the plughole...

I Tool the pictures from Facebook Group "Civic Type R FK8 Enthusiasts Group - North America"

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552173193640

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552173667892

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552172720238

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552172773352

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552172779683

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552172690679

Honda Civic 10th gen Rusty Parkplugs FB_IMG_1552172701098

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Looks like something was spilled inside the hole according to the first and second pics, but its hard to tell with the last few pictures. how about some background info on the car?? Is the car tuned? Bad tune? frequent engine bay washes?? I have no idea, I'm just taking guesses here until someone else chimes in.

OP
OP

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
The pictures are not from one car.. These are some cars. Water is going in the hole.. The enginebay was never washed with Water. These problems are new and i think we will get some Infos next days

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Only 15.000miles.
Anyone else seen such crusty rusty plugs?. Inletvalves and injectors are looking bad too .

I Tool the pictures from Facebook Group "Civic Type R FK8 Enthusiasts Group - North America"

FB_IMG_1552173193640.jpg

[=full]140486[/ATTACH]
Did you guys replaced the plugs: what was the gap before and after?

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Only 15.000miles.

FB_IMG_1552173193640.jpg

FB_IMG_1552173667892.jpg

FB_IMG_1552172720238.jpg

FB_IMG_1552172773352.jpg

FB_IMG_1552172779683.jpg

FB_IMG_1552172690679.jpg

FB_IMG_1552172701098.jpg
Did the owner of these pics put in high octane race fuel? Tune?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Best guess (because with just photos, that’s all anyone could do) is boot was not seeted completely and and the vehicle was/is located near salt water. Injectors look to have been exposed to much higher cylinder heat - possibly due to AFR. But, the corroding errosion would lead me to conclude a cold intake was used and absorbing salt water moisture. The valves could be contributed to infrequent oil changes and loss of viscosity/shear stability OR non-synthetic oil.
Obviously something was going on, otherwise things would not have been removed to take photos.
This is not an inherent issue with production

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would attribute the carbon fouled injectors contributing to this condition. The cylinder head heat must have been such that it lead to pre-ignition.
Another contributing factor could have been an inability of crankcase ventilation. Ionization definitely was occurring, however very difficult to narrow down a great deal without knowing more than just pictures.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I saw this post too. If I recall correctly the dealer blamed it on washing the engine bay and the owner said he had never washed it, dealer eventually said they would replace the plugs and coils.. some other owners chimed in and said there cars had similar issue... so I don't know if its isolated or not

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I saw this post too. If I recall correctly the dealer blamed it on washing the engine bay and the owner said he had never washed it, dealer eventually said they would replace the plugs and coils.. some other owners chimed in and said there cars had similar issue... so I don't know if its isolated or not
Hm... this does not sound motivating.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Regardless of speculation, there was ionization inside the spark well and on the upper upper plug (above the thread) - so, it is understandable for a technician to ascertain that engine washing was the culprit for that. All those other pictures tell stories of their own.
A picture can say a thousand words, but the actual facts may never be determined.
Interesting pictures though...

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, I see the OP is in Germany, and most of his posts are about issues with the CTR.

Are these pics from CTR's in Germany?

By chance are they running that crazy european tune by 7Mod for that supposed 500whp they claim with no modification to fuel delivery?

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@02SilverSiHB
(Updated)
I was looking into what you were mentioning.
Seems like that 7MOD hybrid is a reconditioning of the stock unit: shot blasting the core, polishing the inlet and placing a 50mm compressor wheel and 9blade 47mm wheel to the turbine.
That comes out to 654 Max CFM. I think they are claiming 480hp on that one with about 32.2psi / 2.2bar. It has a map pressure ratio ceiling of 2.5bar. The power figures are listed as on a “stock engine”; just no mention of any other modification.
What they’re doing is basically replicating a GTX2867R but with a smaller housing and for more $.
What is "unknown" is what the Compressor Map looks like with the housing difference; but, if they are able to achieve 72% efficiency at peak boost, then with their Hybrid turbo they would have just enough air flow to make that 480hp. But, YES in order to achieve that number on this platform requires additional modification and fuel/octane to achieve that level (safely).
Limiting the boost by 4-5psi would achieve better responsiveness and be in the "meat n potatoes" power band. At least closer to MBT. Besides, obtaing a "peak" # doesn't = acceleration. I'd choose responsiveness rather than a high #.

There is another turbo that is supposedly making 540hp - but cannot find any data on the differences with that design.

By the look of those injectors you can pretty much see that (if those pics were on that power level) that their fueling was/is well short of reliability OR they simply were not running on cooler plugs?
Sponsored

Last edited: