Rust Proofing - Oil Spray - ECC - Thoughts and suggestions

drewsryd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So when I got my ST I did get "suckered" into getting a few things like the paint and interior warranty.

I also opted for the ECC ( Electronic Corosion Control) module. This thing is suppose to inhibit rust on the body of the car. Never have had this on anyone of my cars and the theory of it all sounds good?

My question is about getting some extra protection. I was thinking of getting oil spray done through my local Krown oil spray place. I won't be doing it every year (maybe every 3 years) as I have the ECC module.

Thoughts anyone??
Sponsored

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
I just had some work done on my car this morning and my mechanic noticed a large amount of rust in spots all over the front and rear of the car. (4400 miles). Its been raining a lot in the Bay Area but super weird I am going to call Honda ASAP and get this worked on when I can so I will see what they say and update here but its not good.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just had some work done on my car this morning and my mechanic noticed a large amount of rust in spots all over the front and rear of the car. (4400 miles). Its been raining a lot in the Bay Area but super weird I am going to call Honda ASAP and get this worked on when I can so I will see what they say and update here but its not good.
Did you actually see the rust that the mechanic mentioned?

The exhaust isn't stainless steel so it will rust, but that is pretty normal. Everything else looks to be pretty well protected.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you actually see the rust that the mechanic mentioned?

The exhaust isn't stainless steel so it will rust, but that is pretty normal. Everything else looks to be pretty well protected.

Oh yeah I was working on the car under it with him. And from what he said he didn't think it was normal at all for a car with such low miles. Here are the notes I took from what he was literally saying to me as he was pointing them out.

-"Oil seep front main and rear main seal seeping might be oil pan or oil pan gasket
Corrosion on axels

Fluid around boot on front right wheel
Corrosion on lateral links by rear control arm. And on rear wheels rust on left control arm"-

As you can see. I'm also leaking a bit of oil too. I drive hard so we'll have to see what that is.

The issue is we're due for another week of rain so I feel like any rust prevention I do during rain would be destroyed and not last.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry brah...not really concerned about your rust issue as as I am about my initial question on the thread :offtopic:

Forsure just figured Honda may have some good OEM spray recommendations/solutions that would be relevant to your question.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I've owned 4 previous Hondas (well, 5 but that one was all-aluminum so rust wasn't an issue), and I've never done any dealer or aftermarket rustproofing. Didn't have an issue with rust. Now, it doesn't snow a lot here in SouthWest BC, but they still salt the roads in the winter. I just rinse off the undercarriage every once in a while.

old sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LX 6sp Coupe, 1983 Mazda RX7, 2009 Yamaha FZ1

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
So when I got my ST I did get "suckered" into getting a few things like the paint and interior warranty.

I also opted for the ECC ( Electronic Corosion Control) module. This thing is suppose to inhibit rust on the body of the car. Never have had this on anyone of my cars and the theory of it all sounds good?

My question is about getting some extra protection. I was thinking of getting oil spray done through my local Krown oil spray place. I won't be doing it every year (maybe every 3 years) as I have the ECC module.

Thoughts anyone??

I read some review about this gadget wich is few years old, it is a steal, do not work

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've used fluid film, definitely helps. If you live in area where they use road salt and/or calcium, nothing will completely prevent corrosion, but fluid film and similar products will help slow it down.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know we have a corrosion warranty for 60 months and unlimited miles right?

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Oh yeah I was working on the car under it with him. And from what he said he didn't think it was normal at all for a car with such low miles. Here are the notes I took from what he was literally saying to me as he was pointing them out.

-"Oil seep front main and rear main seal seeping might be oil pan or oil pan gasket
Corrosion on axels

Fluid around boot on front right wheel
Corrosion on lateral links by rear control arm. And on rear wheels rust on left control arm"-

As you can see. I'm also leaking a bit of oil too. I drive hard so we'll have to see what that is.

The issue is we're due for another week of rain so I feel like any rust prevention I do during rain would be destroyed and not last.
Control arm corrosion is normal. Many of us bought cars that already had rust on the control arm on the dealership lot. But the leaks your having is not normal. But can be normal from aggressive driving. If you rear main seal is gone, I'm shocked. You must be accelerating hard?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just pulled the rear fender liners, and rustproofed underneath:
Honda Civic 10th gen Rust Proofing - Oil Spray - ECC - Thoughts and suggestions rustproof%202_zpsfkkhdyus

Honda Civic 10th gen Rust Proofing - Oil Spray - ECC - Thoughts and suggestions rustproof%201_zps6uyumanu