Running aftermarket parts with factory tune issue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Ok my best guess which I’m pretty sure it’s my issue is that my 2018 Honda Civic Sport the computer is finally realizing that I got aftermarket exhaust, air intake and BOV and it started doing weird things as I drive the car. I’ve been having these parts for more than a year now and no problems, no check engine light since I installed them. But recently for almost 2 months now the car started acting up.

Before very little and now more frequent almost every time I go drive the car. And today I got a check engine light. It’s hard to explain but the turbo will kick but not really I hear it but very low then it fully goes. Also when I press the gas for a moment it boggles then goes and when I let the rpm go down when going into neutral or revving it will drop down to 400 rpm almost like it’s about to turn off then back to normal.

I hope it’s because since I’m running these aftermarket parts the car is learning and it’s acting up cause it still thinks it got the factory parts. I’m gonna take it to a tuning shop when I can and have them help with this issue and have a proper tune to run with what I have. Just wanted to share this to see if anyone has had experience with this and see anyone’s input. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well to start off the BOV is not recommended for these cars. There’s several threads on the forums.

what brands are these aftermarket parts?
Not all brands are equal quality wise.

OP
OP
Frandisimo18FK7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well to start off the BOV is not recommended for these cars. There’s several threads on the forums.

what brands are these aftermarket parts?
Not all brands are equal quality wise.
Yeah I read about the BOV on here. The BOV is from Boomba Racing, Greddy Exhaust system and a Injen Short Ram Air Intake

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I read about the BOV on here. The BOV is from Boomba Racing, Greddy Exhaust system and a Injen Short Ram Air Intake
the BOV and the injen intake are both suspect.
Do you have a aftermarket downpipe too?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The BOV and Injen intake are no bueno. That intake could be wreaking havoc with your fuel trims.

OP
OP
Frandisimo18FK7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the BOV and the injen intake are both suspect.
Do you have a aftermarket downpipe too?
No, just the regular stock downpipe. I just been running those 3 aftermarket parts for a little over a year now. So what do you recommend? Revert to stock on those parts?

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes!! So do you recommend going back to stock on those parts?
It’s a good idea and see if the issue continues.

If you’re tuned you can just pull a datalog for someone to look at.

edit: I had 27won intake and 27won exhaust for a few months. 0 issues at all. Now there’s a catted downpipe and a tune in the car too still running great.

OP
OP
Frandisimo18FK7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s a good idea and see if the issue continues.

If you’re tuned you can just pull a datalog for someone to look at.

edit: I had 27won intake and 27won exhaust for a few months. 0 issues at all. Now there’s a catted downpipe and a tune in the car too still running great.
Ok. The car always ran great over year like I said then this started happening recently.

The car is still on factory tune but now with this issue I wanna take it to a tuning shop and put a proper setup.

I have to find where I put those things but I honestly don’t want to revert stock. If a tune won’t fix the issues and it’s the brand of air intake and BOV I have then i’ll get the other brands.

But if a tune fixes this then that’s the route I wanna go

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok. The car always ran great over year like I said then this started happening recently.

The car is still on factory tune but now with this issue I wanna take it to a tuning shop and put a proper setup.

I have to find where I put those things but I honestly don’t want to revert stock. If a tune won’t fix the issues and it’s the brand of air intake and BOV I have then i’ll get the other brands.

But if a tune fixes this then that’s the route I wanna go
Not a tune per say but a diagnostic. If they tell you a tune would adjust and fix the issues then get a tune. I have a feeling though that the combination of the Injen intake and the BOV might be causing some issues.

Try taking out just the BOV and replace it with OEM and see if your issues persist.

OP
OP
Frandisimo18FK7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not a tune per say but a diagnostic. If they tell you a tune would adjust and fix the issues then get a tune. I have a feeling though that the combination of the Injen intake and the BOV might be causing some issues.

Try taking out just the BOV and replace it with OEM and see if your issues persist.
Ok Ima do that. I just gotta find where I put the stock one lol. I appreciate the advice. This my first time having a brand new car, first turbocharged car and first time doing these mods so I’m new to all this.

I’ll try the OEM one see if it works.

So there’s no other aftermarket air intake or BOV that will work good with this car? I seen the 27won air intake I like it. But do these L series motor just don’t do well with aftermarket BOV?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, what was your original error code (CEL)?

BOV's aren't recommended because they can mess with a/f ratios. As far as intakes go, 27Won and PRL and are considered the best for the 10th gen. If you do swap intakes, go for a CAI. SRI's are mostly just extra sound and definitely heat soak quite a bit in warm weather and stop and go driving.

The problem with Injen is that the MAF seems to be inconsistent on the build of those intakes. Maybe it's a quality control issue? If it's "off" your fuel trims will be messed up which in turn causes driveability problems.

I think the best intake out there overall is the PRL Cobra. Think about tossing the BOV and swapping the Injen for something better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frandisimo18FK7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP, what was your original error code (CEL)?

BOV's aren't recommended because they can mess with a/f ratios. As far as intakes go, 27Won and PRL and are considered the best for the 10th gen. If you do swap intakes, go for a CAI. SRI's are mostly just extra sound and definitely heat soak quite a bit in warm weather and stop and go driving.

The problem with Injen is that the MAF seems to be inconsistent on the build of those intakes. Maybe it's a quality control issue? If it's "off" your fuel trims will be messed up which in turn causes driveability problems.

I think the best intake out there overall is the PRL Cobra. Think about tossing the BOV and swapping the Injen for something better.
Ok thank you. Will do. I appreciate taking your time to respond
Sponsored