Roudy loud motor

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
Ok I don't know much about cars. I bought the 2016 Civic lx 6 speed. It just seems like the engine is super loud and the rpms run high. While going 70 in the interstate it's runs at 3000 rpms and sounds like it's going to blow up. I've drove other 2016 rentals and I could go 80 at 2300 rpms. I'm sure it's normal and ok but I can't help but be nervous about it. I'd like to drive 80 but don't want it pushing 3500 and sounding like it's gonna blow. Is it OK for me to drive an hour at a time at 3500 rpms like that? Once again I don't know much about cars just got on here looking for opinions.
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Honda. They're meant to rev. What vehicle did you drive before the new civic? And as a general rule of thumb, the CVT will stay lower in the rpms compared to a 6 speed. Did you not drive it before you bought it? Don't worry about it, my only tip would to try and let it warm up before you take the rpm up past 2500, just better for longevity for the engine. But it's not gonna blow up, don't worry about that. Just change your oil on time and use Synthetic.

OP
OP

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
Hyundai Accent. It's like driving an automatic without the overdrive lol just don't like how loud it is and the high rpms. Been looking for what people has to say online and haven't been able to so I created an account here and got one fast thank you. And no I didn't test drive it. My ol lady builds them and we got an employee discount on two of them and I figure you can't go wrong with a brand new civic. I'm super happy with the car just nervous about the high rpms

OP
OP

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
And I didn't actually think it'd blow up lol just sounds like it's yelling at ya.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Ok I don't know much about cars. I bought the 2016 Civic lx 6 speed. It just seems like the engine is super loud and the rpms run high. While going 70 in the interstate it's runs at 3000 rpms and sounds like it's going to blow up. I've drove other 2016 rentals and I could go 80 at 2300 rpms. I'm sure it's normal and ok but I can't help but be nervous about it. I'd like to drive 80 but don't want it pushing 3500 and sounding like it's gonna blow. Is it OK for me to drive an hour at a time at 3500 rpms like that? Once again I don't know much about cars just got on here looking for opinions.
Not to be rude, but are sure that you're in the right gear? 80 mph in 6th is approx. 3,050 rpm's for me. And, it does seem strange that it sounds 'like its gonna blow', since I can barely hear mine at around 3k, and I have bypassed my intake resonator. Perchance, did you run your vin# through the Honda website to see if you were affected by the piston pin recall? That would be the first thing to do if you haven't.

And FYI, the motor in your car is a K20. It comes stock with a forged crank and rods and is capable of revving to over 8k rpm's reliably. Except by downshifting to 1st at 80 mph, there's nothing that you can really do to hurt it, especially with how conservative the tuning is from the factory. Hope you get things sorted out!

OP
OP

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
yes 6th gear lol 75 is about 3000 even. me and my fiance got two right after the recall it checked out good. Straight from the factory to us. hers is the same way. maybe it's not that extreme but just didn't think it'd be that high of rpms and sound so loud. car and driver says they have a roudy loud motor so I guess it's just how the car sounds.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
mine never sounds like it gunna blo. in fact i've hit the rev limiter too many times, cuz i can't hear or feel how fast the engine is turning. no i'm no going to put some stupid muffler on it either, thats just asking for trouble.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
Mine isn't loud at 80 (in 6th gear) at all .
As long as you stay out of the redline, your fine.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I haven't had mine on the freeway yet but I have noticed when I get on the gas it is loud. Not loud good either like loud rough. I've read about this as a negative in reviews. It does sound louder and rougher than a new car should.

OP
OP

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
Idk I've gotten it on different freeways and seems to not be as loud. Sometimes the road just gives off a different sound cause of the different asphalt I guess. But on 74 which is what I'm mainly on, it doesn't sound good.

OP
OP

Drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx
It's like the tires give off no sound at all on it and you hear straight motor. Others you hear the loudness of the new tires and not the engine so much. Idk if any of this makes much sense.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Idk I've gotten it on different freeways and seems to not be as loud. Sometimes the road just gives off a different sound cause of the different asphalt I guess. But on 74 which is what I'm mainly on, it doesn't sound good.
Now that I think about it, I did notice a bit of an annoying drone when I first got the car, and what I realized was that it was coming from the rear of the car, specifically the spare tire well. What I found was that there was not much in the way of sound deadening back there, so I added some sound deadening material from the inside of the tire well to the back seat area, and now it's almost luxury car quiet.

All I hear now is the noise made by the poor quality OE tires. I even straight piped the muffler, and at cruising speed, the A/C on low is louder than the exhaust.

This is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-ad...8&qid=1465071939&sr=8-3&keywords=noico+80+mil
Sponsored