Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps)

warrior64nd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2004 G35 6MT
Country flag
Hey guys new to the forum, had my 2018 Si 4dr for about a year now. I've been working on a Torque dashboard for a few weeks now and it's almost done, still tweaking a few things. Anyway for you guys that have gotten it working with the wifi adapters have you had any luck? I'm on my second Veepeak and both so far have connected but freeze the gauges and throw up high numbers of adapter faults. I got it working beautifully with my wired OBD cable but really want a wifi solution. Figured i would try a Vgate next ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=MGSEHB3G12SECDGHSXEQ ) really dont want to spend $120 on an OBDlink one lol. Here's a preview of my setup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps) 133905-85d935e7c9fcaa3f59496a3b38ebb948

Attachments

TURBIE613

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went the hondahack pro route and my 64GB thumbdrive mounted just fine. I already switched storage location for spotify to the thumbdrive and was going to mess with netflix versions to see if I could do the same.
Does the Honda Hack pro work good? Also how did you upgrade from the app Honda Hack for the 18$

TURBIE613

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys new to the forum, had my 2018 Si 4dr for about a year now. I've been working on a Torque dashboard for a few weeks now and it's almost done, still tweaking a few things. Anyway for you guys that have gotten it working with the wifi adapters have you had any luck? I'm on my second Veepeak and both so far have connected but freeze the gauges and throw up high numbers of adapter faults. I got it working beautifully with my wired OBD cable but really want a wifi solution. Figured i would try a Vgate next ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=MGSEHB3G12SECDGHSXEQ ) really dont want to spend $120 on an OBDlink one lol. Here's a preview of my setup:

133905-85d935e7c9fcaa3f59496a3b38ebb948.jpg
im using a cheap WIFI obd and it works fine for me using torque pro. all data shows.

That custom torque skin dashboard looks nice let me know when available been looking for one.

warrior64nd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
im using a cheap WIFI obd and it works fine for me using torque pro. all data shows.

That custom torque skin dashboard looks nice let me know when available been looking for one.
Thanks! can you send a link to the wifi adapter you're using?

warrior64nd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, that's the same one I tried twice. I'll just keep using my USB OBD scanner and keep ordering wifi ones until I get one that works. Also pretty much done with the layout

Screenshot:
Honda Civic 10th gen Rooted Stock headunit- What's your setup (apps) 135739-18cbf38ecbd44dbbc3196f982542b0c4

3vilhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, that's the same one I tried twice. I'll just keep using my USB OBD scanner and keep ordering wifi ones until I get one that works. Also pretty much done with the layout

Screenshot:
135739-18cbf38ecbd44dbbc3196f982542b0c4.png
what is the min and max value for the PSI gauge? and how you remove unwanted pages?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Do you think it would be better to install all those apps from an apk with a flash drive? Or download them straight to the headunit?
Here is my take on Downloads and where to get them from etc.

#1 Limit what you put on the Honda Unit. It does not have much storage or ram, and it's an old OS, and it's slow. If you load it up with too much "junk", it will slow to a crawl.

So, to avoid being tempted to "window Shop" the Play Store, and download and install a while lot of JUNK, that you really do not need, is only install from USB.

Then you have to make the effort to get the app, put it on USB, and install from there.

VERY IMPORTANT :
It also means that you can keep copies of all the APPs you put on the HU, in the VERSION that you originally got them, and that "worked"

So, NO installing Google Play store, or Google services.

This means that your Apps wont try to update .. you really want to turn AUTO Update OFF for everything.

You need to be a CONTROL FREAK, and not allow anything to update behind your back.

The Honda HU is an OLD system, old OS, and many of the newer apps, or current apps that are being updated, do not play play nice with the older OS.

You may have everything nicely working one day, and then say SPOTIFY updates, and it stops working !! You are screwed, even if you manage to figure out what has happened, and it was a new Spotify version that caused your issues.

The OLD version is no longer on Play store !! - and BTW, what was that old version number that you installed 6 months ago, and workd so well ???

If you had installed it from your "DEDICATED" Honda Apps USB drive, you have the versions that you know worked, and can re-install them as needed.

So, effectively, I recommend you build your own collection of APPS that you want to use on your dedicated USB drive, if you like, your own PERSONAL and vetted for the Honda "Play store" , and only install from that. If you do this and one new app does not work well, you just uninstall it from your HU, and delete it from your "My Play Store" Flash drive.

You cannot treat the Honda hacked Head unit like your modern Smartphone, for which you can throw almost anythiung on it from the Google Play Store, and it will take it. The Honda head unit won't !!! You need to baby it.

Even the Honda hack developer recommends that to keep your Honda Unit running as good as it can, without slowing down to a LAG, NOT to install the Google services, and have it try to auto update.

A final big advantage of your own "MY Google Store" USB drive is :-

One day, something WILL go wrong with your Honda HU, and you will need to do a Factory Reset, and re- install Honda hack etc. Believe me that day will come !!!

Then you will need to go find all those Apps that you had installed and install them again.
Problem is, those Apps may no longer be on Play Store, or if they are, they are updated for OS 9, or later, and will not run correctly on your Honda "ANCIENT" Android 4 head Unit.
If you have all the apps you used on that dedicated Flash Drive, they are there ready to install, and at versions that you know will work on your head unit.

The above is my what I do, and "STRONGLY RECOMMEND" you consider doing for the above reasons.

What you end up doing is 100% up to you - it's your Car.. and at the end of the day, your problem if it screws up. The above just may delay of stop that screw up, and if it does happen, make it a lot easier to recover from.

BTW: You "Dealer: is NOT going to help you of your Honda Hacked HU, when/if you screw it up.
They will just say "YOU FRIED YOUR HU", and offer you a non-warranty replacement for about $1500-$4500 while trying not to laugh out loud at the profit they will make on your unfortunate situation.

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
Thank you. That pretty much cleared it up for me. I figured the USB would be the way to go.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thank you. That pretty much cleared it up for me. I figured the USB would be the way to go.
It's really the safest way to go, and for all the reasons I gave above.
The only problem is getting the APK file from the Google Store (or wherever you get it from -- making sure it is safe & not infected), and getting the actual file, rather than installing it direct to a Android unit.

There are ways to do this.. effectively a web service that will get the specified app from the Google Store for you, and then let you download it as a .apk file from them.

While that all seems a bit of a PITA rather than directly installing it from the Play Store, its really the better & safer way to go... especially with the aspect of having a backup on your USB drive etc etc.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone tried a different LAUNCHER on a Honda Hacked HU.
In particular FCC ???