Si Review: Spec Inc Stage 3 Clutch w/Steel SMF

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
I'm on the fence about either getting the Spec 3+ with the steel SMF and Eman's upgraded CMC or driving up to Eman to have a CTR retrofit done. The thing that bothers me about the car with a CTR retrofit that I've had a chance to drive was that the tach developed a sort of "lag" after the CTR clutch was installed. I'm not sure if it's unique to this particular car, or if it's a widespread issue, but when you rev the car the tach needle lags behind what RPM the car is actually at. You can test this by comparing at what point you hear your two step engage vs at what time the tach actually displays the correct RPM that your two step is set at. A KTuner v2 still reacts as quickly as it should, but for some reason the dash does not. The owner claims that Eman told him any lightweight flywheel will have this issue, but I brought it up to Eman and he seemed to have no clue about the issue or it being related to a flywheel if such an issue did exist. Does this happen with your Spec clutch as well? This is currently the deciding factor for me.
ORIGINAL POST UPDATED! PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!

I updated the original post with my findings after adjusting the clutch pedal. Spot on advice that worked beautifully! Thank you! :headbang:

Thanks for the vid, I had seen it before and you saved me the time of having to hunt around for it. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I tried to make it somewhat informative and entertaining enough to get the point across. We need more clutch reviews on this forum. To be honest, I'll most likely putting a Clutch Masters in my wife's Si for comparison and review that as well.
Any thoughts regarding the concern I expressed above? The lag is what's keeping me from buying a CTR clutch from Eman, but if it's not present with the Spec, I'm going to buy the Spec.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any thoughts regarding the concern I expressed above? The lag is what's keeping me from buying a CTR clutch from Eman, but if it's not present with the Spec, I'm going to buy the Spec.
What lag lol there isn’t any

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
What lag lol there isn’t any
It's hard to explain it other than saying the tach needle on the dash doesn't keep up with the car, but the KTuner did for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just an issue that the specific car that I had a chance to drive with the CTR retrofit had, but the needle definitely lagged behind. So I'm trying to figure out if it was just an issue with how his clutch was installed, if it's an issue specific to the CTR retrofitted clutch setup, or if any lightweight SMF will cause this issue as the owner claims.

Siguy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Glad your clutch is working out so well for you!! I have 30k on my CM stage 3.5 with factory flywheel and im very pleased with it! Only draw back is some chatter when clutch is hot and starting from a dead stop. It has never slipped and I've never had lock out. If I were to do it over again I would put the same clutch in, unless exedy ever decides to get in the game! I have similar mods. K tuner, flex fuel, tsp stage 2, cobra race intake. Best daily driver I have had so far!

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's hard to explain it other than saying the tach needle on the dash doesn't keep up with the car, but the KTuner did for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just an issue that the specific car that I had a chance to drive with the CTR retrofit had, but the needle definitely lagged behind. So I'm trying to figure out if it was just an issue with how his clutch was installed, if it's an issue specific to the CTR retrofitted clutch setup, or if any lightweight SMF will cause this issue as the owner claims.
Who's the owner?

brianfer.rosa

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic si
Country flag
Just ordered the clutch stage 2+ with aluminum flywheel. The lockout issues has me worried a bit. I've heard that spec actually made a fix to the clutch and they're currently shipping revised versions of the kits. Can anyone confirm?

OP
OP
NoKz

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't really comment on E-Man's CTR clutch conversion and the possibility of delay with it because I don't have it. You're better off reaching out to him for more information regarding the possibility of the issue and it it actually exists. I know that the Single Mass Steel Flywheel from Spec revs without issue and the tach is able to keep up. There is no delay or misrepresentation of revs on the cluster.

Glad your clutch is working out so well for you!! I have 30k on my CM stage 3.5 with factory flywheel and im very pleased with it! Only draw back is some chatter when clutch is hot and starting from a dead stop. It has never slipped and I've never had lock out. If I were to do it over again I would put the same clutch in, unless exedy ever decides to get in the game! I have similar mods. K tuner, flex fuel, tsp stage 2, cobra race intake. Best daily driver I have had so far!
Thank you. The chatter is something I hear a lot about CM's clutch kits for our cars. I have absolutely zero chatter and I'm thankful for that. My clutch pressure plate finally softened up Friday and it feels way better. I'll update the main post with my review or experiences with it since the pedal pressure change, but I need more time with it. The same morning I felt it soften was the morning I was leaving for Belgium for a week. I'll report my findings when I return and drive it some more.

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
Who's the owner?
It's Franco's car.

I know that the Single Mass Steel Flywheel from Spec revs without issue and the tach is able to keep up. There is no delay or misrepresentation of revs on the cluster.
This is exactly the answer that I needed to hear. Thank you. 3+ with the steel SMF it is for me then. I previously spoke with Eman regarding the issue and he seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I just didn't describe the issue correctly to him. *Shrugs*

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's Franco's car.

This is exactly the answer that I needed to hear. Thank you. 3+ with the steel SMF it is for me then. I previously spoke with Eman regarding the issue and he seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I just didn't describe the issue correctly to him. *Shrugs*
Yeah you do realize our gauge cluster is digital hence it will lag sometimes since rpms drop way too quick to begin with lol. Don’t be so picky as any single mass flywheel lighter than the ctr will be worse.

Last edited:

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
Yeah you do realize our gauge cluster is digital hence it will lag sometimes since rpms drop way too quick to begin with lol. Don’t be so picky as any single mass flywheel lighter than the ctr will be worse.
I'm just super OCD and the lag in his car bothered the shit out of me. Obviously you don't notice it when you're driving, but just knowing it's there bothered me. @NoKz helped me make my decision though. Gonna get the 3+ with the steel SMF and order Eman's CMC upgrade.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm just super OCD and the lag in his car bothered the shit out of me. Obviously you don't notice it when you're driving, but just knowing it's there bothered me. @NoKz helped me make my decision though. Gonna get the 3+ with the steel SMF and order Eman's CMC upgrade.
It's still going to do it lol. Franco's car got Eman's CMC too

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know he has the CMC too, but @NoKz said that his doesn't lag. Franco keeps trying to tell me that going with anything other than the full CTR retrofit is a mistake.
It is. For Spec I have a few buddies who have gotten whatever Spec sent to them to fix the gear lockout issue and it helped with one gear but not the other when shifting at high rpm.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed review. As @kshawn said, you definitely want to adjust the clutch pedal to raise the engagement point off the floor. I've found this necessary after any aftermarket clutch install on a 10th gen (that I've been a part of) and also found that after the clutch breaks in a bit you may find yourself adjusting the pedal again. Thankfully, it's a very easy thing to do.

Stage 3 is not as street friendly as a 2+ or 3+ but it's a great option for the cost and will certainly handle a lot of abuse.
I'm looking to upgrade clutch after tsp 2 tune. I'm thinking spec stage 4 also, if not FX400. Seem to fit the bill and inexpensive. Not opposed to spending more but what more might I gain? Is flywheel worth it? If I did i would definitely go heavier steel not aluminum so is there really much to gain for another $350? Spec vs CM, different models, differences, thoughts? Thanks.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm looking to upgrade clutch after tsp 2 tune. I'm thinking spec stage 4 also, if not FX400. Seem to fit the bill and inexpensive. Not opposed to spending more but what more might I gain? Is flywheel worth it? If I did i would definitely go heavier steel not aluminum so is there really much to gain for another $350? Spec vs CM, different models, differences, thoughts? Thanks.
Type R retro is the best out rn over 13 people have it already with no issue. Supporting power over 400whp easy.
Sponsored