Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback

Your Favorite Reflector?

• Total voters

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback

Ok, this review took 2x longer to write, then actually do. Whew. FML. Enjoy assholes. :p

I bought the CorsoMotion reflectors + modules literally 5 days before I first heard of the iJDMTOY reflectors here on civicx. Nice timing guys. I swallowed my pride and bought the iJDMTOY reflectors too and decided to do a side by side review. Behold:

CorsoMotion:

Reflectors:
  • First Impressions: OEM Reflectors that retains the actual reflector functionality. It looks like they pried the reflectors apart, drilled a hole for the wires, installed an led strip, and then sealed the housing with some industrial strength glue. Hot glue was used to seal the hole with the wires. One of the reflectors release clip does not work correctly due to the hot glue in the way - much more force was necessary to remove it from the fake vent.
  • Wiring: Two wires, black (ground) and red (12v). They provide power to the led strips in the reflectors. The wiring opening is sealed, the wires are really thin gauges, and the kit does not include connectors.
  • Build Quality: Solid. Has a little more weight than the empty OEM reflectors. Glue is solid. Fully sealed.
  • Cost: $190
Control Modules:
  • First Impressions: Small black boxes. Mine did not have labels for wiring (unlike the photos on the CorsoMotion website). Two wires in, 4 wires out. The modules support brakes, flashers, and headlights. It seems like they must have some resistance on the headlights circuit as it is dimmer than the brakes circuit.
  • Wiring: 4 wires: black (ground), red (brakes), white (headlights), and yellow (blinker). The wiring opening is not sealed, the wires are really thin gauges, and the kit does not include connectors.
  • Build Quality: Not so great. There are large holes on either side of the modules for the wires, these will need to be sealed.
  • Cost: $24
Total Cost: $214 + shipping

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183509

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183514
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183537
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183544

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183604
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183611

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183801

iJDMTOY:

Reflectors:
  • First Impressions: Much thicker than the OEMs or CorsoMotions. Not a perfect fit on shape either. They are well sealed and I cannot really see what is inside them, But my guess is an led strip and some type of diffuser layer covered by the black and clear outer plastic grid shell. They are sequential flashers from the top down.
  • Wiring: 4 wires: black (ground), red (brakes), green (headlights), and yellow (blinker). The wiring openings are sealed, really thin gauges, and no connectors.
  • Build Quality: Ok. They are obviously made of cheaper plastic and the lens is soft enough plastic that will accumulate and show scrtaches over time.
  • Control Modules: None/Internal :)
  • Cost: $46
Total Cost: $46 + shipping

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183645
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183658
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183714
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183717
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183726
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_183735

Preface:
Much of this was covered by @jtamase in the thread https://www.civicx.com/threads/rear-bumper-led-lights-for-the-10th-gen-civic-hatchback.37038/. Please read through that thread as well as his is more of a guide and mine is more of a narrative. I will just explain some shit and throw pictures/videos at you. I have aftermarket sequential smoked led taillights and an Si sedan, so my steps may differ slightly from the ones you need to perform. When in doubt.....Think. And if you are really in doubt, ask on the forums or be brave and forge ahead alone.

Suggested Gear:

None of this is required, but if I was going to do it all again (and I might), I would make sure to have the full list of stuff below.

• Rubber Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BR8KB4/
    Suggested for saving your paint, lens, and hands from small damage. Also improves grip and doesn't leave fingerprints.
  • Quick Splice T-Taps with Spade Quick Connect: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDWC60Y/
    I use regular old quick connects below, but these are superior. Less wire prep as the quick splice acts as the female disconnect, and the kit includes the male quick connect. Also, you can always reopen the splice and drop a point of solder in to make it permanent.
  • Vulcanizing Tape: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWROLIG
    This is super useful for wrapping wire loom or for quick seals. If you go the permanent route with the above T-Taps, wrap the tap after the solder with this. It will help waterproof it. Be careful not to wrap it around the quick connect.
  • Wire Loom: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVZFL6S/
    Though I did not use it below, this will protect the wires and extend their longevity in the hell that is inside the rear bumper. Close it up with some Vulcanizing Tape.
  • Heat Shrink: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LVFDLUO
    I didn't use colored heat shrink as all I had was black. Because of this I had to expose a bit of the wire so that it would have useful color-coding. If you used colored heat shrink, you can fully protect the wires.
  • 3M Tape (iJDMTOYs only)
  • Extra Male/Female Quick Connects (CorsoMotion only)
  • Rosin Core Electronics Solder
  • 18g Wire (colored if you do not have colored heat shrink)
  • 2 short screws (iJDMTOY only)
  • Hot Glue (CorsoMotion only)

General Steps:
  1. Reflector/Control Module Wiring Prep
  2. Taillight Removal
  3. Taillight Splices
  4. TEST
  5. Bumper Removal
  6. Fake Vent Removal
  7. Reflector Install
  8. TEST
  9. Reassembly
  10. TEST

1. Reflector/Control Module Prep

Why this step?
Because. Shit happens, and bumpers/taillights may need to be removed in the future. And quick splices are dirty and problematic, especially if you live where there is wet/freezing weather.

CorsoMotion:

In order to prep these, you should understand how they will connect through the car. The taillight splices will quick connect to the control modules through the bumper gap and then quick connect to the reflectors through the fake vent. The control module cannot fit through the hole in the fake vent, so the above extra set of quick connects is required between the module and the reflector. Also, make sure to seal the holes on the control modules with hot glue.

Basically:
Taillight splices -> quick connects -> bumper gap -> control module -> quick connects -> fake vent hole -> reflectors​

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_214214

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_214952

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_204259

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_210240

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_210246
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_222704

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_222714

I didn't take photos of attaching the quick connects for the reflectors and the two wire side of the control modules, but here it is completed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225813

iJDMTOY:
These are relatively simple to prep. You will need to add quick connects and heat shrink to the 4 wires coming out of the reflector housing.

Basically:
Taillight splices -> quick connects -> bumper gap -> fake vent hole -> reflectors.​

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_203049

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_204259

Notes:
I chose to solder 18g wires (always use a linemans splice/joint!) to the reflector/control module wires where ever I added a quick connect. This helps with the stiffness of the connection adding durability to the parts of the cable you will apply the most pressure/tension when disconnecting the quick connects. It also makes it easy to use the more durable quick connects and better insulation from thicker heat shrink. This is not necessary, but advised.

2. Taillight Removal:

Unscrew the two bolts on the outer edge of the trunk opening holding down the rear edge of the taillights.

Remove the taillight by pulling from the front most part pulling toward the back of the car. There are a couple of plug clips holding it in. You may want to tape off the body of the car around the taillight with auto masking tape to protect the paint in case you bump or scratch against it with the taillight during removal. I don't but I have pulled mine so many times another small scratch wont hurt.

3. Taillight Splices

I dislike that most folk are just splicing the wires to the taillights and calling it good (I am guilty of this too). Splices, especially quick splices, are notorious for weak/intermittent connections, wearing down over time, damaging wires if they have to be removed/replaced for service, and in this case they increase the time necessary to remove the bumper or troubleshoot the reflectors. Just in the few days between doing this and writing this post, I had 1 splice act up.

Though I used quick splices, I spliced them to an 18g wire with a heat shrinked quick connect. Though I would suggest that you use T-TAPs with a spade terminal, and then wrap them with vulcanized tape to seal them (do not wrap over the spade terminal end though!)...I thought I had some, but alas, I did not..it was mid afternoon..and my car was already disassembled. I make this error too often. Not having my own garage - "garage surfing" you could call it, can be quite chaotic and super difficult to plan. My trunk is my toolbox.

Anyways, don't be like me, get all the things you need and double check before pulling that first push-pin or removing that first bolt.

So, my car is a 2018 Si Sedan. Yours might be different. Please test. Here are the wires I used:
  • Blue car harness - White wire (brake 12v) - Connected to a red wire/heat shrink quick connect
  • Green car harness - White wire (blinker 12v) - Connected to a yellow wire/heat shrink quick connect
  • Green car harness - Black wire (blinker ground) - Connected to a black wire/heat shrink quick connect
  • Black car harness - White wire (low beam headlights 12v) - Connected to a green wire/heat shrink quick connect
My car is an Si Sedan, so your wires/harnesses may be different colors than mine. Please test your harnesses and wires before splicing! You can easily do so by unplugging all but 1 harness from a taillight, turning on the car, and testing brakes, headlights, and flashers. Repeat this process for each connector. You will use the non-black wire on all connectors (other than the one for the ground connection - afaik, you can use any of the black ground wires for the ground splice to the reflectors/control modules).

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_200334
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_213312
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_222737

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_222721

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_222729

4. TEST

At this point, plug in your reflectors TO BOTH SIDES. Start the car and test:
  • Brakes
  • Headlights
  • Hazards
  • Blinkers
Make sure it works. Jostle the quick splices and connects. Make sure none of them are weak or loose. If they are, fix them. In the case of a quick splice, a touch or solder on the splice teeth can really strengthen the splice.

5. Bumper Removal

Start by removing the screws from each rear wheel well rim. You will have 3 screws to remove per side (4 if you have OEM splash guards). I suggest using a short phillips tip stuck into a ratchet as you only have like 2 inches max room to work with between the fender and the tire (less if you have 19" rims).
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_172507
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_174454

Remove the two hex bolts underneath the trunk opening.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_165203
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_165206

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_165241

Remove the 4 push pins from the underside of the car. One under each fender nearest the wheel well, and two others below the trunk.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_173542

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_174107
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_174113

Watch the video at the beginning of this step again. Loosen up both sides of the bumper by pulling the edge directly back from the wheel well - there should be a few clips on either side. Finally, pull the bumper directly back from the rear center, there are two clips offset on the rear that should release. You may want something soft under your bumper at this point as the bumper may fall to the ground - cardboard at minnimun, but a rubber mat would be best.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_175109

Viola!
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_175059

Bumper Removal Notes:

If you live in a state like MN, you will be appalled at how much sand/dirt/salt/gunk has accumulated on the inside of the bumper body and all over the back of the now exposed bumper and frame of the car. CLEAN IT UP. This is one of your only chances to do so and will help increase the longevity of the body and metal. After 1 year ownership in MN, IT WAS FUCKING BAD. You have been advised.

Also, you may have encountered much resistance trying to remove the push pins on the underside of the car. I did. I investigated and found that little bits of gravel and salt accumulated on them and caused them to "freeze" in certain positions and they took much effort to remove. I experience the same issues with push pins whenever I remove my front bumper as well. I wash them out, banging them to clear the blockage, and then make sure they open and close freely and cleanly before reassembly. You have been advised.

Oh Dear! Dirty Naked Rear! :p
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_174930

6. Fake Vent Removal:

Take your time. Reread the post by @jtamase. There are two screws to remove on the back of the vent. Then take your time popping the tabs around the vent. It will should come pretty easily, if not, you may want to shift your technique. Once the vent is removed, remove the reflector as well. There is a tab thing. You will figure it out.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_175832

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_180615

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_180624

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_180914

7. Reflector Install

It you did all the wiring prep, this step is a breeze.

Corsomotion Install:
As the CorsoMotion reflectors are OEM, they should just snap in. Make sure to feed their wires through the corresponding hole. My set fit perfect, like a glove.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_224606
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_224610

I had issues removing this CorsoMotion reflector (foreshadowing) as the hot glue used to seal the wire hole interfered with the tab release thingy...
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_224613

Install the fake vent back into the bumper, again feeding the wires/connects through the obvious hole.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_224819

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_224828

Then connect up the control module.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225813

iJDMTOY Install:
As the iJDMTOY is not a perfect fit, you may need to use some 3m tape to hold the bottom half of it in place. Also, find a small/short screw, you will want to screw that into the back of the vent into the reflector through the obvious hole. Install the vent into the bumper, be mindful to pass the wires through the obvious holes.
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225147
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225151
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_232047

8. TEST

Connect both reflectors/control modules to the spliced quick connects. Test all functions once again.

9. Reassembly

Put every thing back together. Be mindful of the reflector cables running up through the bumper, there is an obvious gap, run them there. Do not pinch them during bumper reinstallation.

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225817
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_225950

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_230226
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190527_230349

10. TEST

Before you drive, check all this again. Then drive for a few miles, on some rougher roads, and check again. Especially if you only used quick splices.

ALL FUCKING DONE. CONGRATS. TO YOU. TO ME. NOW TAKE WHAT YOU LEARNED AND DO SOMETHING OUTRAGEOUS.

Then post it and tag me. Honestly, this is so long, tag me if you read this far. :p

Conclusion:

Side by side videos (Corsomotion on the left, iJDMTOY on the right):

And now the rating thing.

CorsoMotion Pros:
  • OEM Look
  • Perfect OEM Fit
  • Has reflector functionality so is fully street legal.
CorsoMotion Cons:
  • Expensive. Like REALLY EXPENSIVE.
  • Extra control modules required for full functionality.
  • More soldering/sealing/quick connects than the iJDMTOYs.
  • Less than inspiring aesthetics - looks like an LED strip stuck in the OEM housing and the led strip is not centered, is not straight, nor does it fill the full housing from top to bottom.
CorsoMotion Rating: 15/25 - 3.0 avg
  • Quality/Durability: 5
  • Aesthetics: 2
  • Price: 1
  • Ease of Install: 2
  • OEM Fit: 5

iJDMTOY Pros:
  • CHEAP.
  • Inspiring aesthetics - they have a cyberpunk look to them and pair nicely with the sequential smoked led taillights.
  • No control modules, the electronics are sealed in the housing.
  • Easy to install compared to the CorsoMotions.
iJDMTOY Cons:
  • Not OEM fit. Not even close.
  • Plastic housing seems less durable than the CorsoMotions.
  • The lens is a polished plastic that will definitely show scratches over time.
  • They are thicker than the CorsoMotions and protrude from the vents.
  • They are secured with a single screw - 3m tape should be used to better secure them.
iJDMTOY Rating: 19/25 - 3.8 avg
  • Quality/Durability: 3
  • Aesthetics: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Ease of Install: 4
  • OEM Fit: 2

So...... you may be asking yourself if I drove around with 2 different led reflectors? I did not. There was one I clearly liked better on looks alone.

Behold: iJDMTOY LED Reflectors + Smoke Sequential LED Taillights

P.S: To be fair to the CorsoMotions, I have included some media below that illustrate the issues I had with the alignment of the LED strip, the incompleteness of the light fill of the reflector, and the lack of sequential motion:
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190528_221241
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190528_221246
Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback 20190528_221249

Honestly, if you made it to the end without skimming and actually reading. Wow. Way to not budget your time effectively. Congrats for that.

Laters.

Last edited:

_HatchED_

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
Just to add to the ijdmtoy lights, I ended up cutting the little hump on the plastic for it to recess and fit flush. I also bored out the screw hole on the plastic with a step bit. Doing both of these things makes it sit virtually flush when the lights are mounted.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to add to the ijdmtoy lights, I ended up cutting the little hump on the plastic for it to recess and fit flush. I also bored out the screw hole on the plastic with a step bit. Doing both of these things makes it sit virtually flush when the lights are mounted.
Any chance we are lucky enough to see some pictures?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Props on time and effort spent on write up and etc...but for something this trivial, I just don’t think all of this is worth it. But car looks great... sometimes, when I am in the middle of a crap mod install, I am like wtf am I doing? Why can’t I just leave crap stock...

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I saw some vid where this was done w/o removing the bumper...

is that not the case?

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Props on time and effort spent on write up and etc...but for something this trivial, I just don’t think all of this is worth it. But car looks great... sometimes, when I am in the middle of a crap mod install, I am like wtf am I doing? Why can’t I just leave crap stock...
Right? Though I don't think the general removal and tear down stuff had much value, I do think the comparison and review parts are useful. If anything, I may save someone a couple hundred bucks.

The extra time and effort on the wiring prep I also feel is useful. My car has been hit 4 times in the past year so has needed auto body work multiple times. If I didn't take precautions with some of the modifications, my stock wiring harnesses etc would already be showing wear well beyond her 1 year. If I just used quick splices and called it a day, it will complicate things down the road.

Also, I have already had multiple aftermarket stuff fail, mostly due to the harsh winter and my lack of a garage. I am actually pretty lazy, so I front load most effort to be more lazy down the road.

Additionally, I think I have some relatively unique takes on wiring prep and figured I would share. I have been working with electronics for decades, some of which is in much harsher and neglectful conditions than my car... like marine stuff and set and forget field electronics. Fuck me for sharing I guess.

Finally, I have neurotic moments I am definitely a bit of an exhibitionist :p, so I benefit from this even if others don't.

But yeah, I was halfway through the work when I realized I liked the iJDMs much better than the corsos... but I had gone too far.... my real wtf moment was 2 hours into the write up.... like damn, this is taking too long...I hope the forum folk appreciate this... assholes :p

Anyways, thanks for complimenting my car. I plan to finish up this summer's mods shortly, clean up my ride, take some glamour photos, and make a video tour of my car.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I saw some vid where this was done w/o removing the bumper...

is that not the case?
Yeah, and it was a pain in the ass for the dudes in the video. Also, I wanted to remove the bumper to clean up my frame from the winter.

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatchback; 2016 Pilot LX
Country flag
@ladysi

*slow clap*

nice and very very detailed comparison. I will read through this again when I get the chance to fix my damn wiring. Thanks so much. :D

_HatchED_

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport 6mt
Country flag
I didn't take pictures, so I used yours.
That's what I did to get them to sit flush against the plastic. They still protrude a little bit, just not as pronounced.

Honda Civic 10th gen Review/Comparison/Install: CorsoMotion and iJDMTOY LED Rear Reflectors for the Si Sedan/Hatchback IMG_20190530_170648

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't take pictures, so I used yours.
That's what I did to get them to sit flush against the plastic. They still protrude a little bit, just not as pronounced.

IMG_20190530_170648.jpg
Perfect. Thanks bunches. I found my t-taps and vulcanizing tape last night... this will give me a reason to pull these back out, dremel away, resplice my taillight wires with the taps, add some solder, and finish with tape.

Cheers mate, I owe you :)

AlexSt84

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 2019 Sport Plus
Country flag
Awesome guide, the strange thing...i ordered Corsomotion like 9 days ago and beside generated e-mail of order from their website...there are not responding to e-mails or facebook messenger...

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ‘17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right? Though I don't think the general removal and tear down stuff had much value, I do think the comparison and review parts are useful. If anything, I may save someone a couple hundred bucks.

The extra time and effort on the wiring prep I also feel is useful. My car has been hit 4 times in the past year so has needed auto body work multiple times. If I didn't take precautions with some of the modifications, my stock wiring harnesses etc would already be showing wear well beyond her 1 year. If I just used quick splices and called it a day, it will complicate things down the road.

Also, I have already had multiple aftermarket stuff fail, mostly due to the harsh winter and my lack of a garage. I am actually pretty lazy, so I front load most effort to be more lazy down the road.

Additionally, I think I have some relatively unique takes on wiring prep and figured I would share. I have been working with electronics for decades, some of which is in much harsher and neglectful conditions than my car... like marine stuff and set and forget field electronics. Fuck me for sharing I guess.

Finally, I have neurotic moments I am definitely a bit of an exhibitionist :p, so I benefit from this even if others don't.

But yeah, I was halfway through the work when I realized I liked the iJDMs much better than the corsos... but I had gone too far.... my real wtf moment was 2 hours into the write up.... like damn, this is taking too long...I hope the forum folk appreciate this... assholes :p

Anyways, thanks for complimenting my car. I plan to finish up this summer's mods shortly, clean up my ride, take some glamour photos, and make a video tour of my car.
Unique, or quick and easy? T-taps are great for people who have no experience with electronics. As an electronics engineer...the problems with T-taps or any “quick connect” wiring adapters is that it CUTS into the wire. When clamped down, all too often, strands of the wire inside get cut. Reducing max current flow. Cut too many, and you’ll have yourself some burnt wires and failed accessories. OR it won’t cut into the wire far enough, leaving gaps or limited contact, which creates sparking...and again, a failed accessory.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unique, or quick and easy? T-taps are great for people who have no experience with electronics. As an electronics engineer...the problems with T-taps or any “quick connect” wiring adapters is that it CUTS into the wire. When clamped down, all too often, strands of the wire inside get cut. Reducing max current flow. Cut too many, and you’ll have yourself some burnt wires and failed accessories. OR it won’t cut into the wire far enough, leaving gaps or limited contact, which creates sparking...and again, a failed accessory.
I agree. I hate them. But they are better than quick splices. I would do a proper soldered T splice, but the wires in question were so thin that I was concerned about reliably removing the sheathing without damaging the wire.

Also, considering they are factory wires and the car is under warranty - I will t-tap evey time.

How would you do it?
Sponsored