Reverse problems

Phoenix SI

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Hi, so I saw a similar thread posted but there did not seem to be a resolution posted.

Putting this 2017 Si into reverse takes literally 2minutes for me. This is my 3rd manual car(370z, 5.0, FR-S) and they all had mechanisms to push down on the shifter to get into gear.

This Si seems to have a lockout but I can’t seem to actually put the car in gear. I’ve read everything and tried everything. Car is at complete stop clutch pressed into floor, tried going into neutral first and other gears and then putting into reverse.

Tried pressing and releasing clutch etc... It literally takes me 20 tries for it to “let me in” to the reverse gear... it’s embarrassing and time consuming *cry*

Anyone else having this issue and found a solution?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, so I saw a similar thread posted but there did not seem to be a resolution posted.

Putting this 2017 Si into reverse takes literally 2minutes for me. This is my 3rd manual car(370z, 5.0, FR-S) and they all had mechanisms to push down on the shifter to get into gear.

This Si seems to have a lockout but I can’t seem to actually put the car in gear. I’ve read everything and tried everything. Car is at complete stop clutch pressed into floor, tried going into neutral first and other gears and then putting into reverse.

Tried pressing and releasing clutch etc... It literally takes me 20 tries for it to “let me in” to the reverse gear... it’s embarrassing and time consuming *cry*

Anyone else having this issue and found a solution?
Sounds like you need to take a trip to the dealer. Good luck.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I was also used to a car where I had to press down to get into reverse, and struggled a little with the Civic at first. I found that I have to push the shifter over to the right with a bit of momentum to get past the lockout. If I lined it up with 5-6 then pressed it over to the right, the lockout was tough to overcome. But if I start with the shifter between 1-2 or 3-4 and go to the right with a little momentum, it seems to work better.

OP
OP

Phoenix SI

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I was also used to a car where I had to press down to get into reverse, and struggled a little with the Civic at first. I found that I have to push the shifter over to the right with a bit of momentum to get past the lockout. If I lined it up with 5-6 then pressed it over to the right, the lockout was tough to overcome. But if I start with the shifter between 1-2 or 3-4 and go to the right with a little momentum, it seems to work better.
Thanks for sharing that, I will definitely try that after I get off work. I hope that works and I don’t need to take it to the dealer!

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Turbo Lover is right. Pull the shifter out of gear and then let it center it self. Then push it to the right and it should go all the way over to the reverse channel.

OP
OP

Phoenix SI

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
RESOLVED: Tried what the gents ^^ recommended. Starting the shifter in the 1-2 or neutral position => Swung the shifter with some momentum and used some force when sliding it downward and it went into reverse channel a lot easier and quicker. I feel silly for it having been this simple, but happy it wasnt a real issue. You can't shift into reverse in this car, the same way you would shift into other gears. It's a much more deliberate/almost aggressive action. Trying to baby the car since its new, but somethings take a little forceful persuasion. Thanks again guys and hope this helps others who have this issue!