123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Noob question,
What is retrofit means for lighting? Seen ppl mentioning it and i am new to this
Sponsored

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Noob question,
What is retrofit means for lighting? Seen ppl mentioning it and i am new to this
Usually, it means installing hid/led projectors in place of a halogen reflector. This requires opening the headlights and usually some fabrication.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
In the case of our lights, it requires no fabrication for several projectors that have more than adequate performance.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Well that’s not accurate at all.
Depends what you consider fab. I've built them with RetroQuick. Pretty much a straight swap and easy as fuck. I consider it fab when you have to cut up a bunch of shit. If anybody considers ours to be a difficult retro and requiring fab they should not even attempt it. The person who doesn't even know what a retro is certainly should not be doing a retro.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Depends what you consider fab. I've built them with RetroQuick. Pretty much a straight swap and easy as fuck. I consider it fab when you have to cut up a bunch of shit. If anybody considers ours to be a difficult retro and requiring fab they should not even attempt it. The person who doesn't even know what a retro is certainly should not be doing a retro.
There’s still some trimming involved with the retro quick kit. That’s why I said wasn’t accurate. But yeah, it’s not a lot of trimming to do, but I think most people are just scared to pop the lense off. Lol. I’m in the process of doing mine now with the morimoto D2s mini 5.0. I have a lot of cutting to do but so far so good.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Was originally going to go with the Morimoto Mini H1 Retro-Quik, but ended up selling all of that (minus the ballasts, those are still available!) and went with 09-15 Maxima projectors. They are basically a direct fit, same trimming the Mini H1's required, as they use the same Maxima bracket. Fitting them with e30 lenses, custom curved shield and a bi-xenon conversion. Using Denso slim ballasts and either Orsam or Philips bulbs. These are going to be sweeeet. Painting the housings black and then when it's all done, applying SunTek PPF to them so they stay mint. I'll be sure to post pics and what not on the site.

Picture borrowed from HIDP/ClubLexus. This is an example of the Lexus RX330 projector, which essentially the Maxima projector is-
Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofitting DSC_517h0

Last edited:

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was originally going to go with the Morimoto Mini H1 Retro-Quik, but ended up selling all of that (minus the ballasts, those are still available!) and went with 09-15 Maxima projectors. They are basically a direct fit, same trimming the Mini H1's required, as they use the same Maxima bracket. Fitting them with e30 lenses, custom curved shield and a bi-xenon conversion. Using Denso slim ballasts and either Orsam or Philips bulbs. These are going to be sweeeet. Painting the housings black and then when it's all done, applying SunTek PPF to them so they stay mint. I'll be sure to post pics and what not on the site.

Picture borrowed from HIDP/ClubLexus. This is an example of the Lexus RX330 projector, which essentially the Maxima projector is-
DSC_517h0.jpg
Interested in the final product!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just finished these up. Super happy with how they turned out. Retrofit is the way to go!

E885E75E-9FCA-4003-89F7-45D59AD6B8E4.jpeg
Mini d2s? Did you use the retroquick bracket or make a custom bracket? Tempted to sell (or keep) my LED lights to get a proper retrofit done. Interested in output shots.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Mini d2s? Did you use the retroquick bracket or make a custom bracket? Tempted to sell (or keep) my LED lights to get a proper retrofit done. Interested in output shots.
Yes on the mini d2s 5.0. And made custom bracket out of the oem cutoff shield. I’ll be grabbing some pics tomorrow night for people. But the outcome versus stock is ridiculous.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just finished these up. Super happy with how they turned out. Retrofit is the way to go!

E885E75E-9FCA-4003-89F7-45D59AD6B8E4.jpeg
You did a great job on these headlights. You trimmed the oem shroud perfectly. I was going buy a universal d2s bracket and fit it that way, so I'm interested to see your custom bracket. Thanks for sharing.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
You did a great job on these headlights. You trimmed the oem shroud perfectly. I was going buy a universal d2s bracket and fit it that way, so I'm interested to see your custom bracket. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks man! I appreciate it. Give me a follow on IG, I have more photos up there. @airick_matthews