Retrofit Heated Mirrors

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I tapped my Suma mirror heating element into a wire from the rear defroster that I traced to the wiring loom near the drivers rear left foot. I have run my defroster several times over the past couple months and no issues whatsoever.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors upload_2019-11-6_11-9-43

The Accord at least uses a pink wire for the 'hot' side.
Following the blue and Brown wires back to the first page it looks like it has a 10amp fuse. It's not entirely clear what happens inside the modules. It's also no guarantee that the Civic does the exact same thing. The Accord, for one thing, has memory mirror position which the Civic does not...
The passenger side mirror uses a different color for the 'hot' wire.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tapped my Suma mirror heating element into a wire from the rear defroster that I traced to the wiring loom near the drivers rear left foot. I have run my defroster several times over the past couple months and no issues whatsoever.
You have more pics and info about this?

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
My 2019 only has 900 miles on it, so, I didn’t even know that it didn’t have defrost mirrors. For a high end car, this car is super basic. For $7,000 less, my Cruze hatchback has every option possible. Kind of missing all the tech in my Cruze.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2019 only has 900 miles on it, so, I didn’t even know that it didn’t have defrost mirrors. For a high end car, this car is super basic. For $7,000 less, my Cruze hatchback has every option possible. Kind of missing all the tech in my Cruze.
I bought a heated set from Suma. they measure 14.8 ohms. each.
I'm going to try. I bought a set of Suma heated mirrors. They measure 14.8 ohms. IDK if they are using 12 vdc on a timer or an ac on a timer.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a chinese reps similar to Sumas for $70. since my car dont come with heated features, I have to make my own wiring and bought a timer module with a switch. Ive installed the mirrors, havent got around to do the wires yet

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a chinese reps similar to Sumas for $70. since my car dont come with heated features, I have to make my own wiring and bought a timer module with a switch. Ive installed the mirrors, havent got around to do the wires yet
I found a timer on amazon. Only need a defogger once last year when it was rainy.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have more pics and info about this?
Sorry man I didn't take pics or do a writeup. I used to be a stereo and alarm installer so I have experience doing stuff like this. It took me some time to trace all the wires for this install. I ended up tapping the left turn signal for the mirror up near the left front footwell near the fuse block. And then I tapped both defrosters into a wire near the left foot rear seat wiring loom. I was also able to tap the right turn signal near the defroster wire in the same area.
It's been several months and all still work very well.

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry man I didn't take pics or do a writeup. I used to be a stereo and alarm installer so I have experience doing stuff like this. It took me some time to trace all the wires for this install. I ended up tapping the left turn signal for the mirror up near the left front footwell near the fuse block. And then I tapped both defrosters into a wire near the left foot rear seat wiring loom. I was also able to tap the right turn signal near the defroster wire in the same area.
It's been several months and all still work very well.

I found it. C-128 location drivers footwell pin 1.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Just confirming and saying it out loud - this is for the Defroster right?

Did you use an additional relay to power up the mirrors or just power right to them?

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just confirming and saying it out loud - this is for the Defroster right?

Did you use an additional relay to power up the mirrors or just power right to them?
I'll test it out, hold on.
This is the wire for the rear defroster. Tested it with Fluke 77 meter.

Last edited:

Hlee

First Name
Harry Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Hi, I have a 2018 Civic si and trying to do the same install witha a Suma mirror with defroster and signal. Not sure how to wire the electrical. You mentioned the location C-128 at driver"s footwell pin 1. Is this where to tap in the defroster and signal. Can please give me some insight?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I finished installing my side mirrors with heated and sequential turn signal.
For signals, I had no choice but to route directly to the side headlight signal wire.
For the heat function, I bought a timer module from amazon and used that.
It all works flawlessly.
Timer module is set at 10 mins and turns off automatically. I feel the heat on the mirror.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors Screenshot_20200516-005829_Video Player

Hlee

First Name
Harry Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
I finished installing my side mirrors with heated and sequential turn signal.
For signals, I had no choice but to route directly to the side headlight signal wire.
For the heat function, I bought a timer module from amazon and used that.
It all works flawlessly.
Timer module is set at 10 mins and turns off automatically. I feel the heat on the mirror.

Screenshot_20200516-005829_Video Player.jpg
Can you share the link from Amazon on the timer module you purchased? Some people tapped the heater mirror wires to the rear defroster. Is that a bad idea or why you didn't go that route? Where did you get your mirror with heater and signal? Got a link for that as well?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Can you share the link from Amazon on the timer module you purchased? Some people tapped the heater mirror wires to the rear defroster. Is that a bad idea or why you didn't go that route? Where did you get your mirror with heater and signal? Got a link for that as well?
You can tap into the rear defroster as a power source, but it adds additional load with the side mirrors which can lead to blowing the fuse for whatever runs on that circuit.

Hlee

First Name
Harry Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
You can tap into the rear defroster as a power source, but it adds additional load with the side mirrors which can lead to blowing the fuse for whatever runs on that circuit.
You got a point there about the extra load. Wouldn't want the fuse keep blowing. Anyways what timer module did you purchase from Amazon and how did you hooked it up. Did the connect it to the fusebox under the driver's side. At what amp fuse?
Sponsored