Retrofit Heated Mirrors

popngear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 M3 / 89 M3 / 91 NSX / 99 STI / 02 S2K / 15 GTI / 16 GT4
Country flag
Does anyone know which parts to order to retrofit heated mirrors on an R? I know Canadian models come standard with it so it can’t be too hard to wire up.

Thanks
Sponsored

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The fact you say the Canadian models have standard headed side mirrors I'm willing to bet this is true. On my Evo X gsr it was the same thing, in the states we didn't get heated side mirrors. The MR did and the Canadian GSR models did. I could either by OEM MR side mirrors or try to find Canadian GSR mirrors. I found this aftermarket company called Kool Vue. They sold side mirrors that were heated and it was all plug n play. The car was already wired to have heated side mirrors they just didn't have the heating element in the mirrors. Hit the rear defrost n they heated up. I bet the CTR is the same way. I don't think they would make separate wiring harness for the USDM vs Canadian models. But like i said I can't guarantee this as I store my CTR for the winter and didn't have to go this route. Here is a link hope this helps. Please report back if you do true so others would know.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Honda/Civic/Kool_Vue/Mirror/2019/Type_R/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/HO01ER.html

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The Type R is bare bones on the mirror assemblies on USA models, only 3 wires per side for power adjust. We are not pre-wired for heated mirrors, lane watch, blind spot monitoring, power fold, or turn signals.

I found this out when I retrofitted power folding mirrors that came with turn signals, heated mirrors, and blind spot monitoring. I ran wires from side to side and under the dash for power fold and turn signals which was simple enough to figure out based on help from members on this site. I also ran some extra wires for heated mirrors however, I never hooked them up and from my research, you will need to wire up fused power with a relay for it to function safely. Blind spot monitoring I did not bother with.

Here is a pic where you see the factory white connector with 3 wires for power adjust, and then the gray deutsch connector I custom added for all other functions when I did the power folding mirror conversion:
Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors IMG_20190913_133831

Work in progress:
Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors IMG_20190913_142424

Finished product with the OEM 3 wire connector and my added deutsch connector:
Honda Civic 10th gen Retrofit Heated Mirrors IMG_20190913_152415

Last edited:
OP
OP

popngear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 M3 / 89 M3 / 91 NSX / 99 STI / 02 S2K / 15 GTI / 16 GT4
Country flag
Really appreciate all the info you guys provided! Do you know which model the folding/heated mirrors came out of? I think I’ll try to find a pair in black to go with CW.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Really appreciate all the info you guys provided! Do you know which model the folding/heated mirrors came out of? I think I’ll try to find a pair in black to go with CW.
You can only purchase them from parts of the world in where Civics came with power folding mirrors. The issue is that most of these places are right hand drive and the mirrors are not suitable for left hand drive vehicles.

However, there is a seller in the UK that makes a kit for left hand drive vehicles which is where I got mine: https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...wing-mirror-pair-for-civic-type-r-fk8-17.html

They are kinda pricey. It lists 652 GBP but the price is not actual because they factor in tax. For international buyers, tax does not apply. Shipping from overseas was not that bad either.

If you are looking for only the heated mirrors, you can most likely purchase upper trim USA Civic mirror glass assemblies that came heated (not sure if they come from Touring, EX, or EX-L models), or aftermarket heated mirrors like SUMA Performance or Kool Vue as someone else stated earlier, and these will pop into your current mirror housings. You will have to wire them up regardless.

If you are looking for only turn signals, this swap can be done using partial mirror housings and turn signal LEDs from Honda as seen in this thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-adding-turn-signal-lights-to-si-ex-side-mirrors.19619/

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
You can only purchase them from parts of the world in where Civics came with power folding mirrors. The issue is that most of these places are right hand drive and the mirrors are not suitable for left hand drive vehicles.

However, there is a seller in the UK that makes a kit for left hand drive vehicles which is where I got mine: https://www.tegiwaimports.com/selec...wing-mirror-pair-for-civic-type-r-fk8-17.html

They are kinda pricey. It lists 652 GBP but the price is not actual because they factor in tax. For international buyers, tax does not apply. Shipping from overseas was not that bad either.

If you are looking for only the heated mirrors, you can most likely purchase upper trim USA Civic mirror glass assemblies that came heated (not sure if they come from Touring, EX, or EX-L models), or aftermarket heated mirrors like SUMA Performance or Kool Vue as someone else stated earlier, and these will pop into your current mirror housings. You will have to wire them up regardless.

If you are looking for only turn signals, this swap can be done using partial mirror housings and turn signal LEDs from Honda as seen in this thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-adding-turn-signal-lights-to-si-ex-side-mirrors.19619/
Tegiwa has occasional 10% off coupons, like monthly which will bring the cost down. Like them on FB and look out for the coupons.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I am a reseller of Tegiwa and I'm stateside.

The mirrors Tegiwa used for the photos on their website...are on my car now. I got the first set about two years ago.

I have the EDM Power Folding mirrors. I'm still working to get the defrost and the BSM to work properly. From what I see, there are two black-with-white wires that run to the heater element...is this what you found as well?

Thanks-

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From what I see, there are two black-with-white wires that run to the heater element...is this what you found as well?
Yep, the mirror glass has two terminals on the back with black/white wires for the heating element that comes to only one wire at the plug that goes into the door connector.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep, the mirror glass has two terminals on the back with black/white wires for the heating element that comes to only one wire at the plug that goes into the door connector.
Ahh ok good. So they do merge somewhere. So is the black-with-white stripe 12V+ and, if so, what's the path to ground?

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ahh ok good. So they do merge somewhere. So is the black-with-white stripe 12V+ and, if so, what's the path to ground?
I think ground would be wherever the location is for turning on the heated mirrors i.e. a switch.

For what I am thinking, if you use a 4/5 pin automotive relay, fused power is one pin, ground is another. Another pin would be the black/white wire that goes to each mirror. Last pin you would need the input to turn on the heated mirrors from the switch. However with OEM Honda defroster switches, I am not sure if the timer functionality can be used with the relay setup I just described.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think ground would be wherever the location is for turning on the heated mirrors i.e. a switch.

For what I am thinking, if you use a 4/5 pin automotive relay, fused power is one pin, ground is another. Another pin would be the black/white wire that goes to each mirror. Last pin you would need the input to turn on the heated mirrors from the switch. However with OEM Honda defroster switches, I am not sure if the timer functionality can be used with the relay setup I just described.
Oh no I meant at the mirror. We've got the 12V+ (black-w/white) going to the mirror but not the ground...

I'm thinking to just attach an input on a relay to the output of the relay that energizes the rear defroster-that should take care of the timing-element of the function...not that I run it all that long anyway since I don't want to risk the tint damage. Just enough to break up the frost or snow that happens to be there.The current defrost function is activated by the button on dash but the signal runs into the BCM. Not sure if the energizing relay is inside the BCM or if it's one of the ones in the box under dash.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure if the energizing relay is inside the BCM or if it's one of the ones in the box under dash.
I think the relay controlling the rear defroster is seperate from the BCM somewhere under the dash, or possibly in the engine bay. If we can find it, we can use it to power the heated side mirrors but, it can possibly be too much of an amperage load to power both the rear and side mirror defrosters and constantly blow the fuse for the circuit.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the relay controlling the rear defroster is seperate from the BCM somewhere under the dash, or possibly in the engine bay. If we can find it, we can use it to power the heated side mirrors but, it can possibly be too much of an amperage load to power both the rear and side mirror defrosters and constantly blow the fuse for the circuit.
I think you're right - separate relay but same 'input' signal. I'd definitely separate the two as I'm not sure if the wiring and fusing on the load side is sufficient to run the side mirrors and the rear defroster. Easier to overdesign it than try to fix it later.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tapped my Suma mirror heating element into a wire from the rear defroster that I traced to the wiring loom near the drivers rear left foot. I have run my defroster several times over the past couple months and no issues whatsoever.
Sponsored