First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
Hello everyone.

I've learned a lot from this forum and would like to post a question (and my experience later) on the EPB retraction issue when doing rear brake jobs.

There have been a lot of discussions on how to safely retract the EPB when replacing new pads, but I've never seen discussions on using a 12V power. There is actually a video on Youtube which is for 15-year civic with e-brake.

From what he did, it is quite simple to retract the EPB with no hassles. All you need is two cables connecting from the car's own battery, and connect to the joints in that EPB connector.

I just don't know if this works for 10-th gen civic. Nobody has posted this solution in the forum yet (forgive me if I missed it). Does any one know or have tried it?

I will give it a try this weekend when the electric cord arrives, and let you know the results.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or you can use something like this to reduce chance of mishap.

Autel AP200 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader with All System Diagnoses and Service Functions Professional Automotive Scan Tool for iPhone Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QD4GZW4

OP
OP
Ziyang

Ziyang

First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
The reason I am thinking of this is because the other two methods (forget the one putting it into maintanance mode) all have drawbacks.

1.Turning it with those fancy caliper retraction tools is NOT listed by Honda officially. I would question it...

2. Following the service sheet. It asks you to remove EPB actuator. I checked the detailed instruction of this step "remove EPB actuator": it also asks you to use new mounting screws and O-rings...not sure if anyone has strictly follow it, or if it is necessary.

Attachments

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
When I did my rear pads and rotors (I did the front brakes first), I simply used the parking brake switch to disengage the parking brake, shut the vehicle off, then put it in gear (manual) to act as a parking brake. The electronic parking brake is affixed to the caliper, and I was just very careful with it. After re-assembly I did not have an issue. If you want to be 'safe', disconnect the battery or unplug the wire harness. If you want to retract it, use the screw on the parking brake to retract it, there's a mechanical release. No need to go Frankenstein and give it the jumper cable treatment.

OP
OP
Ziyang

Ziyang

First Name
Ziyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic ET-T MT
Country flag
When I did my rear pads and rotors (I did the front brakes first), I simply used the parking brake switch to disengage the parking brake, shut the vehicle off, then put it in gear (manual) to act as a parking brake. The electronic parking brake is affixed to the caliper, and I was just very careful with it. After re-assembly I did not have an issue. If you want to be 'safe', disconnect the battery or unplug the wire harness. If you want to retract it, use the screw on the parking brake to retract it, there's a mechanical release. No need to go Frankenstein and give it the jumper cable treatment.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did you just follow the book and remove the actuator? If so, have you replaced the bolts and O-ring for the actuator?

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX with Sensing
Country flag
I saw this video today after I had already changed mine for the first time and now I have issues as i did not retract the brake. But used a tool to turn the piston in and put the new brakes on now I have electronic brake system failure brake hold system failure and im not sure what to do as i have already put the new pads on? was thinking of doing this or something as i dont have the fancy plug in app to put the brake in maintenance mode.

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just did my rear today and did not know anything about the retract obviously i knew it had electronic braking but did not know i had to do anything with it. With that being said I put the new pads on by just turning the piston with a tool now i have eletronic brake system failure light brake hold failure light on and i am not sure what i need to do

wes1099

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just did my rear today and did not know anything about the retract obviously i knew it had electronic braking but did not know i had to do anything with it. With that being said I put the new pads on by just turning the piston with a tool now i have eletronic brake system failure light brake hold failure light on and i am not sure what i need to do
Check the electronic parking brake cable/connector. When I did my brakes I unplugged the parking brake for easier access to clean and re-lube everything, but I forgot to plug it back in and I had this same problem.

I have done rear brakes 3 times with the following tool (using #7 adapter plate) and it works perfectly and has caused no problems:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B077SQ75J7/

Touching the pins with 2 wires from a random unregulated 12v power source seems like a great way to burn up the electric motor or damage the internal gearing. The electronic parking brake doesn't seem like a very rugged piece of equipment as its enclosure is made of plastic.

Last edited:

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Check the electronic parking brake cable/connector. When I did my brakes I unplugged the parking brake for easier access to clean and re-lube everything, but I forgot to plug it back in and I had this same problem.

I have done rear brakes 3 times with the following tool (using #7 adapter plate) and it works perfectly and has caused no problems:

Touching the pins with 2 wires from a random unregulated 12v power source seems like a great way to burn up the electric motor or damage the internal gearing. The electronic parking brake doesn't seem like a very rugged piece of equipment as its enclosure is made of plastic.
I did not unplug anything but maybe it came loose not sure funny thing is if I push the ebrake button it works but I still have these errors.

Honda Civic 10th gen Retract EPB with 12V power? Screenshot_20200513-225129_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Retract EPB with 12V power? Screenshot_20200513-225123_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Retract EPB with 12V power? Screenshot_20200513-225121_Gallery

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

So your saying you don't retract your parking brake? And it works fine?

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try this:
-Switch off, brake pedal applied, apply parking brake on 3-4 times.
- Start the engine, seat belt fasten, brake pedal applied, apply parking brake a few times.
So your saying turn the car off with the pedal applied. Put the ebrake on then off three or four times. Start the engine then fasten seaten belt while holding the brake pedal and then apply parking brake a few more times. Need more details please

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion. Did you just follow the book and remove the actuator? If so, have you replaced the bolts and O-ring for the actuator?
No, I made sure the parking brake was NOT engaged, and I left the actuator attached, sealed, and plugged in. I did take a look and try, but looking it, I felt it would be a can of worms. I made the decision knowing what the book says, for my personal car.

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
For my instance, I just made sure the parking brake was disengaged, IE not holding the car. I used 1st gear (MT) and wheel obstructions to hold the car in place when I did the rear brakes. If you had them engaged or did something wrong (plugged them in the wrong way), it would need to be reset.

Did you bleed your brakes or leave them be?

Are you able to get back under and double-check everything is done properly?

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For my instance, I just made sure the parking brake was disengaged, IE not holding the car. I used 1st gear (MT) and wheel obstructions to hold the car in place when I did the rear brakes. If you had them engaged or did something wrong (plugged them in the wrong way), it would need to be reset.

Did you bleed your brakes or leave them be?

Are you able to get back under and double-check everything is done properly?
So I did the front brakes first had the parking brake engaged. Automo trans. Then after completing the front I started the car pumped the brakes disengaged the parking brake turned the car off. And continued with the rear. Turned the piston with a block tool purchased from autozone. Turned piston in and greased and cleaned everything up re installed new pads I did not unplug anything. Put everything back together started it up and pumped the brakes and started to drive and all warning lights followed. I am able to get back under and check but I feel like this is all related to this brake retraction thing. Putting the electric brake in maintenance mode. Yada yada I don't have a scanner or anything like that hell didn't no i needed one.
Sponsored