Resuming play on a iPod after 2017 Civic restart: No audio?

Boring_John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Hi folks,

I've got a brand-new-to-me 2017 Civic LX and I've got a weird audio behaviour.

I've got a 6th Gen iPod Classic (yes, from 2006. The battery is shot but who cares when it's wired to the car?) that I'm using to play music and podcasts, and everything works perfectly until I am playing a track when I turn off the car. When I turn the car back on, the track "resumes" but with no audio actually coming out of the speakers. If I skip a track forward, I get audio. If I wait until the resumed track should end, it goes to the next track and I get audio. If I skip back to the start of the track, I get audio. It's definitely waiting until the end of the track: If I turn off the car 10 seconds from the end of a track, the new audio starts 10 seconds after I restart the car. If I turn off the car 3 minutes from the end of a track, the new audio starts 3 minutes after I restart the car.

If I'm playing something that naturally resumes-where-stopped like a podcast, I can navigate the menus, choose podcasts, select that podcast, select the episode, press play, and the audio will resume... where I left off, but with however many seconds between me starting the car and navigating the menus to restart the track skipped. Because it's "playing" silently during that time.

Pausing the playback before turning off the car doesn't solve the problem, it automatically resumes (silently) when the car comes back on. Turning off the audio system before turning off the car doesn't solve the problem, it automatically resumes (silently) when I turn the audio back on.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? I was looking for how to update the head unit to a new Android version, but it doesn't look like there's an official Honda release and all I'm finding are ways to root it. I'm not averse to rooting it but I'm also not sure how that would fix my problem.

I've already factory-reset the head unit. I suppose I could replace the iPod with one from a current decade - I was using this one for years simply because I could control it one-handed without looking at it, which isn't actually a problem any more since the steering wheel controls work on my new car - anyone got a 2017 Civic and a more modern iDevice and *not* have this problem?

Thanks,
-John
Sponsored

OP
OP

Boring_John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Two related questions:
#1: Any way to make fast forward and rewind *faster*? Right now it's skipping like 6 seconds, playing a blip of audio, then skipping 6 more. This makes it good for rewinding something where I just missed a few words but bad for skipping a boring segment.

#2: Any way to bind fast forward and rewind to steering wheel controls? Left/right are skip track, up/down are mostly useless since I almost never want to listen to the radio instead of my device. Is there a trick to making up/down into fast forward/rewind instead?

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Clearly no resolution here yet, I have a similar weird issue. My iPod connects fine and all files, song info, album art display on the head unit, but NO AUDIO ever comes out. The song says it's playing, but there's literally no sound. Same issue on both USB ports. Any idea?

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Two related questions:
#1: Any way to make fast forward and rewind *faster*? Right now it's skipping like 6 seconds, playing a blip of audio, then skipping 6 more. This makes it good for rewinding something where I just missed a few words but bad for skipping a boring segment.

#2: Any way to bind fast forward and rewind to steering wheel controls? Left/right are skip track, up/down are mostly useless since I almost never want to listen to the radio instead of my device. Is there a trick to making up/down into fast forward/rewind instead?

Long press on the steering wheel controls left and right should fast forward and rewind respectively I believe, though I haven’t tried it some time.

There isn’t anyway to rebind the controls.
Maybe if you root the device, though I haven’t read anything about that ability once that is done.

In terms of fast forwarding faster, you’re probably stuck there as well. Without a solid state drive in your iPod there is a physical limit to how fast it can read ahead anyway And the headunit probably only skips ahead a certain set amount.

iPod specific support was an afterthought at this point so what you see is what you get really.

OP
OP

Boring_John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Clearly no resolution here yet, I have a similar weird issue. My iPod connects fine and all files, song info, album art display on the head unit, but NO AUDIO ever comes out. The song says it's playing, but there's literally no sound. Same issue on both USB ports. Any idea?
That's a new one to me. And jumping around to different songs doesn't change it? I assume you've checked the obvious like the volume controls? Do you get sound with headphones into the iPod? You get sound from the radio and other sources like bluetooth from your phone?

OP
OP

Boring_John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Long press on the steering wheel controls left and right should fast forward and rewind respectively I believe, though I haven’t tried it some time.
I'm sure I tried that but I'll try it again.

There isn’t anyway to rebind the controls.
Not surprising. Unfortunate, but not surprising. It's the kind of thing I'd put down as an important feature and yet somehow I suspect a Honda engineer in 2016 isn't going to care about - which is also why the head units are running such an ancient version of Android.

In terms of fast forwarding faster, you’re probably stuck there as well. Without a solid state drive in your iPod there is a physical limit to how fast it can read ahead anyway
LOL it's an MP3, not a cassette. Most/all of the file gets read into memory almost instantly, and what you're hearing is the result of decoding a compressed file, not literally reading the bytes of the file in order straight out to the speakers.

I appreciate what you're getting at but yeah no that one's not quite right.

And the headunit probably only skips ahead a certain set amount.
Which is the real issue - the fast forward is "jump about 7s, play 0.5s, repeat" - it doesn't get faster if you press for longer or skip more/less based on how you swipe on the button like most music players and android players do. And you can't even set it to jump more, or play less between jumps.

iPod specific support was an afterthought at this point so what you see is what you get really.
I was really hoping someone would be like "Oh THAT? Sure, that's easy, here's the setting you're missing", but clearly not.

Is there a music player app you prefer? The main reason I still use the iPod all these years later is that music playing drains my phone battery just fast enough that I worry if I don't charge it during the day.... but my new car has USB ports. I could just plug it in and charge *and* play.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.0L Turbo, CVT, Elegance trim
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently have the same issue, all of a sudden after months of working fine, I have the issue as described above...wtf?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I recently have the same issue, all of a sudden after months of working fine, I have the issue as described above...wtf?
This happens to me every few months with my iPod Touch. Rebooting the headunit fixes it for me. Hold your finger on the power button for about 5 to 10 seconds, until a message pops up on the screen asking if you want to reboot, then click Yes.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This happens to me every few months with my iPod Touch. Rebooting the headunit fixes it for me. Hold your finger on the power button for about 5 to 10 seconds, until a message pops up on the screen asking if you want to reboot, then click Yes.
thx dude, i will this in a few hours ;)

I will update later on what the result was..

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
crap, I tried

resetted the infotainment and my ipod, nothing worked

its a Nano from 2011, 6th gen.

Very strange, everything shows in the system and the nano, but nothing comes out of the speakers
and volume is not muted lol
I can scroll everything: playlist, artists, songs, etc but no god damns sound, makes me crazy

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I posted a video of what I encountered.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Wow, that is weird. Mine is a 3rd-gen iPod Touch, which is from around the same time as your Nano (2009-2010). I actually had this problem again today, and the symptom is similar to yours in the video - I can switch to other sources and hear them fine, but the iPod appears to be playing yet there's no sound. Skipping to other tracks doesn't help.

All I had to do to fix it was reboot the headunit. No unplugging of the iPod, no rebooting of it, etc. So, I doubt it will help, but maybe try JUST rebooting the headunit..

Another thing that's different with mine is that I don't have my Android phone plugged in, or even connected via Bluetooth. So maybe try taking the phone completely out of the picture and see if that has any effect.

Also, have you tried plugging your iPod into someone else's car to make sure it works there?

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, that is weird. Mine is a 3rd-gen iPod Touch, which is from around the same time as your Nano (2009-2010). I actually had this problem again today, and the symptom is similar to yours in the video - I can switch to other sources and hear them fine, but the iPod appears to be playing yet there's no sound. Skipping to other tracks doesn't help.

All I had to do to fix it was reboot the headunit. No unplugging of the iPod, no rebooting of it, etc. So, I doubt it will help, but maybe try JUST rebooting the headunit..

Another thing that's different with mine is that I don't have my Android phone plugged in, or even connected via Bluetooth. So maybe try taking the phone completely out of the picture and see if that has any effect.

Also, have you tried plugging your iPod into someone else's car to make sure it works there?
hmmm rebooting the headunit? but I did that in my video too? didnt watch the full video huh

and everything worked a few days ago, with my android connected via usb Ă nd bluetooth, so I dont wee why I should take part with all my creature comforts all of a sudden.

It did work, so it has to work again, why doesnt it work now? thats what I need to find out.
trying all the tips now, but so far no luck

looks like this is going to be a dealers problem soon....

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
hmmm rebooting the headunit? but I did that in my video too? didnt watch the full video huh
No, you didn't reboot it - you rebooted it while also simultaneously unplugging the iPod and rebooting the iPod. Now logically I don't see why that would cause it to not work, but I'm just trying to find what you did differently than what I routinely do that always fixes the problem for me. So what I was saying was to try *just* rebooting the headunit without also unplugging the iPod or rebooting it. It probably won't work, but I think it's worth a shot to try doing *exactly* what I do that fixes this problem when I have it.

and everything worked a few days ago, with my android connected via usb Ă nd bluetooth, so I dont wee why I should take part with all my creature comforts all of a sudden.
I didn't mean forever - I just meant temporarily to see if it makes any difference.

Riko

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, you didn't reboot it - you rebooted it while
Is it me or doesnt this make sence? Very confusing construction?

I didnt reboot, i reboot....loo, what is it?

And, I disconnected the ipod because it wouldnt allow me to shut down when it was still connected....

I will try this evening, by holding the power button longer, while still connected.

And did I reboot or shut down my ipod in the video? Only shut down I assume. Will try to 'reboot too'
I'll film it as proof.

But I think the ipod is fine, its the damn honda system that let me down!!
I just had my headphone in the ipod and it works perfectly, its got to be the car system, cause i cant see why the ipod would fail all of a sudden
Sponsored