First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't fully understand turbos, but I've seen enough YouTube clips of 10th Gen Si's pulling more than my car, and not sound nearly as loud.
A couple things... my car when stock never exceeded about 17 or 18# on the stock tune.
Stock cars won’t reach the advertised 20.3# target ever on the display. As I understand... the ECU under the stock tune will also lower boost a smidge in cold weather, because the lower IATs will allow it to reach its torque targets under less. I don’t know what your ambients are... but if it’s pretty cold, it might really be dialing back a little.

For noise... I don’t know how a 17-19 car compares to a 20 due to the extra piped in noise. Also... if you’re seeing tuned 17-19s and yours is stock... it’s going to seem like a dog from 3rd gear on. I’ve only gone back to stock one in 1.5 years... and it was smooth... linear... and very, very sedate comparatively.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member

A couple things... my car when stock never exceeded about 17 or 18# on the stock tune.
Stock cars won’t reach the advertised 20.3# target ever on the display. As I understand... the ECU under the stock tune will also lower boost a smidge in cold weather, because the lower IATs will allow it to reach its torque targets under less. I don’t know what your ambients are... but if it’s pretty cold, it might really be dialing back a little.

For noise... I don’t know how a 17-19 car compares to a 20 due to the extra piped in noise. Also... if you’re seeing tuned 17-19s and yours is stock... it’s going to seem like a dog from 3rd gear on. I’ve only gone back to stock one in 1.5 years... and it was smooth... linear... and very, very sedate comparatively.
There's video of a 2020 SI, as recent as this week, bone stock, lapping my car.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best I can say is, since you're unhappy with the car... take it back to Honda. Tell them you think your car is loud and slow and think something is bad wrong with it and still aren't satidfied. Ask for one of more experienced techs to do a ride along.

If you post a video... I'm sure it'll get watched and commented on.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Like your car driving against his car? Or is he in a different climate, different location, different altitude, different environment that will affect the way the ECU in his car sets or pulls boost to compensate and hit power targets?

There is the turbo and then there is the ECU. Both work together fulfill a certain mission (mainly with a lot of Honda's ECUs torque targets vs maxing out the torque it can generate).

Yves_Blanco

First Name
Yves Mhon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe HFP
Country flag
We had a case like this before with similar symptoms, car wasn't building boost, more audible turbo spool, and we were getting rich DTCs. Eventually, we found the culprit to be missing intercooler seals from the factory that was causing the boost leak. Have them check that first and keep us posted. Best of luck.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
We had a case like this before with similar symptoms, car wasn't building boost, more audible turbo spool, and we were getting rich DTCs. Eventually, we found the culprit to be missing intercooler seals from the factory that was causing the boost leak. Have them check that first and keep us posted. Best of luck.
Those little O-Rings were missing?

Yves_Blanco

First Name
Yves Mhon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe HFP
Country flag
Those little O-Rings were missing?
Yeah, hot and cold side. Found ourselves in an unusual situation because standing in front of the car, we could hear the noise from the turbo as it spools from the right side as well as the left. Figured out the sound was coming from somewhere around the lower grill. Took the bumper off, revved the engine again and then finally figured out it was coming from the connection right before and right after the intercooler. Took the piping off and to our suprise, there were no seals in either one.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Hey everyone,

Had a day to decompress and not overthink the car. I've stressed myself out, probably "looking" for signs of trouble where there aren't any. I've taken everyone's feedback, and considering my limited knowledge of turbos, and all the variables that influence how they perform: climate, engine temp, driving technique, etc., my car is more than likely fine.

Some of you hit the bullseye—I saw "turbo" in the specs, and was expecting something high performance off the showroom floor. I've learned I have to manage expectations, and that this car is designed for additional power, but also to satisfy EPA standards.

The car underwent a holistic diagnosis at Honda last Monday, the senior tech was even nice enough to let me hang with him in the garage, under my car, under the hood, at the work bench monitoring factory specs via the computer-controlled diagnostics he ran. It passed with flying colors.

No warnings have lit up my dash, and the car is happily plugging along while I'm freaking out behind the wheel. If a light comes on, then I'll act. I got into the weeds with hypotheticals I don't really know anything about.

As pointed out to me, I can't realistically compare my car to another stock SI unless we're on the same road at the same time, doing the same thing.

I'm throwing my manic tendencies in low gear (intentionally lame pun), and will enjoy this car for what it is, read that indispensable thread created for new SI owners, learn about this car and it's components, and when the time comes, and I'm qualified, tune the car.

I will still post video tomorrow if possible.

Feel free to reply. And thanks for the help!

John

OP
OP

Deleted member

Ambient Temp: 46-47 degrees
Car warmed up/driven about 15-20 minutes
Throttle 75-85% (heavy video)
Hit 16psi once in 3rd (heavy video)

Let me know if all seems normal. Thanks!

Normal Acceleration

Heavy Acceleration
Excuse my wife, this was the third attempt because we were driving toward the sun, battling overexposure

Last edited by a moderator:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep. Looks about right for a stock car. 16 psi in the 40s for ambients out to be about right. You may gain a few psi as it warms and the ECU tries to hit the same torque targets. 18 was about as high as I ever saw on a stock tune.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why didn't you go Wide Open Throttle in the videos when you're trying to show heavy acceleration and lack of boost? push the pedal all the way to the floor in 3rd gear at 3,000 rpm. Don't let off until you hit the rev limiter. Make sure its not down hill either, that'll result in less load.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Why didn't you go Wide Open Throttle in the videos when you're trying to show heavy acceleration and lack of boost? push the pedal all the way to the floor in 3rd gear at 3,000 rpm. Don't let off until you hit the rev limiter. Make sure its not down hill either, that'll result in less load.
No the videos are good enough and it sounds like he has a better understanding/ peace of mind from spending the day with the tech that allowed him to hang around while checking it over.

Car looks and sounds normal. Enjoy it now that you have calmed down a bit! :) :)

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No the videos are good enough and it sounds like he has a better understanding/ peace of mind from spending the day with the tech that allowed him to hang around while checking it over.

Car looks and sounds normal. Enjoy it now that you have calmed down a bit! :) :)
Well, he should for fun anyway :headbang::drive:

OP
OP

Deleted member

Well, he should for fun anyway :headbang::drive:
I've definitely calmed down, and part of that was taking the time to learn more about the basic principles of engine/transmission/turbo performance.

I'm a paranoid maniac by nature. Just want to get ahead of this fact as I start to become a more active member of the forum. But, I'm working on keeping things in perspective.

Car is fine. I don't know how to change the title of this thread to deter new comments about a resolved issue. I don't see an option when I click edit on any of my posts/replies.
Sponsored