RESOLVED, nothing to see here

OP
OP

Deleted member

We've established I have some learning to do. But, I just did the following calculation on gas, and it's still not adding up. I mention gas because I've been reading that some potential issues with a turbo/waste gate can result in poor gas mileage.

The tank is 12.4 gallons.
I drive 60 miles per day, or 300 miles every 5 days (work week).
I'm averaging, according to the dash fuel economy gauge, 33mpg the last three gas fill-ups. 93 Octane, once at BP, twice at Shell.
33 x 12.4 = 409.2.
After the 5 day commute, that leaves me with 109 miles, or 3 more days of driving at 33mpg.
However, on the past three fill-ups, I've only made it for 5 days before having to re-fill.

Either the fuel economy gauge isn't accurate, or I'm burning fuel that could "potentially" be attributed to my suspected turbo issues. I'll post videos of the dash, one at residential speeds, another at highway speeds. I'm an idiot when it comes to turbo, but not when it comes to driving. I'm definitely scratching my head with this car.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Don’t get into fuel now :banghead:
Your MPG is relatively accurate. What you are not doing is fueling up with a full 12.4Ga and when the fuel light comes on, you likely have 2-2.4GA of fuel in the tank. This is an approximation of where the fuel sender is located in the tank.
Do this instead:
1) Reset your Trip A or B at fill up.
2) Multiply your MPG Avg on that tank by 12.4 and subtract the Mileage registered on the Trip A/B.
3) This will give you an approx remaining mileage and/or GA.
BUT
Your vehicle is already providing you with that data? So, I err again that perhaps you are not only getting adjusted to your Si, but this is the very first car you have owned or driven.
You are good to go...keep driving.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Don’t get into fuel now :banghead:
Your MPG is relatively accurate. What you are not doing is fueling up with a full 12.4Ga and when the fuel light comes on, you likely have 2-2.4GA of fuel in the tank. This is an approximation of where the fuel sender is located in the tank.
Do this instead:
1) Reset your Trip A or B at fill up.
2) Multiply your MPG Avg on that tank by 12.4 and subtract the Mileage registered on the Trip A/B.
3) This will give you an approx remaining mileage and/or GA.
BUT
Your vehicle is already providing you with that data? So, I err again that perhaps you are not only getting adjusted to your Si, but this is the very first car you have owned or driven.
You are good to go...keep driving.
I'm depleting as much gas in the tank as possible before refueling. By your logic, and I'm not being sarcastic, if I fueled up as soon as the light came on, I'd still have reserve in the tank, but I'm still not making it past 5 days.

I've owned a '97 Civic EX, tuned, but without turbo, and recently, an '18 Audi Q3, turbo, but no gauges to actually monitor what it was doing.

The Audi was terrible on gas, but was rated that way from the factory.

The EX was a guzzler, but it had a lot of high performance modifications on it, including cam (it was a 1.8 SOHC), intake, shifter, full exhaust from headers back, bored cylinders, Air/Fuel ratio monitoring, clutch/flywheel, full suspension, strut tower brace, rear tie bar etc. The car wouldn't pass inspection, but I knew a guy, haha.

This was back in 2000. I didn't mod it, bought it from a friend of a friend who built it at a speed shop in Queens, NY. Rampage Racing.

I'm not unfamiliar with these cars, I am unfamiliar with turbo and 10th Gen engineering. Maybe I am expecting too much out of it after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
I dunno man I hit 17 PSI every day getting on the highway in third. What is the most boost you've seen on the display? I get like 35 commuting and its like 50/50 highway and city driving.

OP
OP

Deleted member

I dunno man I hit 17 PSI every day getting on the highway in third. What is the most boost you've seen on the display? I get like 35 commuting and its like 50/50 highway and city driving.
I wish I was seeing your values. I can't get boost past 15 psi, any gear, any speed.

I haven't seen 35mpg. 32.9 and more recently 33mpg.

LOUD engine strain tone that drowns out exhaust in normal mode, and amplifies in Sport mode at higher speeds/rpm.

This thread has gotten away from that and now it's just a pile on of people telling me I don't understand anything.

I don't fully understand turbos, but I've seen enough YouTube clips of 10th Gen Si's pulling more than my car, and not sound nearly as loud.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sport mode just pipes in engine noise through the speakers. I just figured that out as I thought it was an intake tube or something like my VR6 was. I'm at 3000 miles, what are you at? My exhaust sounds very mellow in normal mode. I barely hear anything until it starts letting the boost in. Maybe I'm just used to loud cars though.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Sport mode just pipes in engine noise through the speakers. I just figured that out as I thought it was an intake tube or something like my VR6 was. I'm at 3000 miles, what are you at? My exhaust sounds very mellow in normal mode. I barely hear anything until it starts letting the boost in. Maybe I'm just used to loud cars though.
Yes, Sport mode is an emulation. But it does amplify engine noise in my car.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just drove to get lunch, hit 16 PSI in 4th gear then it meters down to 13ish at the top end. If you're not getting above 13 ever I would be worried. Are you running premium?

OP
OP

Deleted member

Just drove to get lunch, hit 16 PSI in 4th gear then it meters down to 13ish at the top end. If you're not getting above 13 ever I would be worried. Are you running premium?
Yes, 93 BP and Shell

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Gosh that is really weird, maybe there is something wrong with the electronic gate. How many miles do you have on your car? I've been running 93 BP too.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Gosh that is really weird, maybe there is something wrong with the electronic gate. How many miles do you have on your car? I've been running 93 BP too.
Approx 1650 miles. I'm at my desk at the moment, not in the car.

OP
OP

Deleted member

Just drove home.

75mph acceleration highway merge, 4th gear, 5500 rpm, 12psi.
80-90mph acceleration 4th and 5th gears, 5500rpm, 14-15psi.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That sounds about right to be honest. Are you expecting peak boost at the top of the tacho? I hit peak boost for 3000-4500 then it drops off.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is exactly why most manufacturers of FI cars either have no gauge or a dummy gauge for boost....

OP
OP

Deleted member

That sounds about right to be honest. Are you expecting peak boost at the top of the tacho? I hit peak boost for 3000-4500 then it drops off.
I'm not hitting that until around 5500.
Sponsored