Request Type r intercooler retrofit

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
The CTR OEM intercooler is a different part # 19710 5BF A01 vs. 19710 5AA A01 for 1.5T, Looks like it has a couple more rows of tube/fins, and looks like it has different inlet and outlets also. I wonder if anyone has tried to retrofit one yet on a 1.5T? It would definitely be a custom job, but is it possible?

1.5 parts: https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...l/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel--intercooler
CTR parts: https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...rical-exhaust-heater-fuel--intercooler-type-r
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ordered an Accord 1.5 one. It was also a little larger and dirt cheap... but it wasn't big enough to make it worthwhile to attempt. I figured by the time I got the different bracketed hard pipes, cut then and ran some hose to couple to the rest of the stock setup it'd be better to just go aftermarket, despite their greater cost. I'd thought about the R... but never went that way.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/r-intercooler-in-a-non-r.21212/#post-365085

...if nothing else, I gave you all the measurements for a 1.5 Accord and Civic intercooler. If you can get the same data from a CTR guy that upgraded theirs, you'll know if it's worth it. Once I was getting into the realm if 1/2 the cost of a direct replacement I expected to exceed the CTRs stock IC, my interest waned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunarsilver17

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I searched but didn't see that thread. Thanks I'll check that out.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Waste of time and money, there is already some cheap intercoolers out there that can provide a significant upgrade over the oem intercooler. There is some like the Rev9/Agency power, or some injen replicas starting as low as $220. If you are desperate for a cheap solution, this would probably work just fine for you. Just don't expect the performance of a PRL or Mishimoto intercooler, but it will still be a significant upgrade.

boggels

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI with 4 porte
Country flag
Waste of time and money, there is already some cheap intercoolers out there that can provide a significant upgrade over the oem intercooler. There is some like the Rev9/Agency power, or some injen replicas starting as low as $220. If you are desperate for a cheap solution, this would probably work just fine for you. Just don't expect the performance of a PRL or Mishimoto intercooler, but it will still be a significant upgrade.
OEM will always be better then a "replica" part. Same goes for wheels and a lot of other things in life.
Sponsored