[Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Hello everyone,

This might seem like a tedious request but would be greatly appreciated. I will be installing HIDs soon in my EX, (that slow ddm tuning shipping :banghead:) and needed to know where people had mounted their ballasts. If I could get a couple of pictures that would help me out a lot and also if you could state what you used to mount the ballast (zipties, mounting tape, brackets).

Thanks.
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
For the ballast locations i copied Swiper185's mounting locations on this post (last one) http://www.civicx.com/threads/to-those-who-installed-an-hid-kit-where-did-you-put-your-ballast.1563/
I used http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yds-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape-411DC-SF/100575385 to secure the ballasts(holy moly its strong i couldn't even pull it off after 5 min, don't mess up when using this!)
I used a couple of zipties to just neaten up the wiring, you want them tight so they don't move around!
If you have a relay included i used this post to hide all my wires http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-install-hid-kits-with-no-risk-of-damaging-factory-wiring.1595/ (pics 9-12)

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
For the ballast locations i copied Swiper185's mounting locations on this post (last one) http://www.civicx.com/threads/to-those-who-installed-an-hid-kit-where-did-you-put-your-ballast.1563/
I used http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yds-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape-411DC-SF/100575385 to secure the ballasts(holy moly its strong i couldn't even pull it off after 5 min, don't mess up when using this!)
I used a couple of zipties to just neaten up the wiring, you want them tight so they don't move around!
If you have a relay included i used this post to hide all my wires http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-install-hid-kits-with-no-risk-of-damaging-factory-wiring.1595/ (pics 9-12)
Thanks a lot of the information, that helped me out, and I think I'll go with the double-sided mounting tape method + zipties.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hello everyone,

This might seem like a tedious request but would be greatly appreciated. I will be installing HIDs soon in my EX, (that slow ddm tuning shipping :banghead:) and needed to know where people had mounted their ballasts. If I could get a couple of pictures that would help me out a lot and also if you could state what you used to mount the ballast (zipties, mounting tape, brackets).

Thanks.
I'm also considering doing the same for my EX but have a couple of questions.

1- is this legal in Ontario?
2- any adjustments required to re-aim or refocus the lights?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
I didn't zip tie wires yet. What do you guys think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Looks decent, maybe you could use zip-ties on the wires to clean up the clutter. I see you used only mounting tape on the ballasts. I think it should hold up fairly well since it's a slim ballast. The kit I ordered comes with those thick silver ballasts so that's why I'll probably end up putting in a location where I can use both zip-ties and mounting tape. We'll see how it goes once my kit arrives, still waiting on it. This shipping time is absolutely atrocious and I wish I had gotten a kit locally or from xenon depot if I had to do it all over again.

I'm also considering doing the same for my EX but have a couple of questions.

1- is this legal in Ontario?
2- any adjustments required to re-aim or refocus the lights?

Thanks in advance
1. I haven't really looked thoroughly into the ministry of transportation rules here in Ontario but from what I've heard any modification to your car's headlights is illegal. However in regards to whether or not you'll get pulled over or not depends on what exactly you've done. I mean if you install extremely bright blinding lights or 15K purple HIDs then you're basically begging for negative attention. That being said, I live in the GTA(mississauga/Oakville) and I see TONS of cars around here with blueish HID lights in reflector housing. So as to whether or not they're really enforced, I doubt it. I have a few friends that have 8000K HIDs and they've never been pulled over. Just to play it safe though that's why I went with a 5500K kit which gives a off clean white look, very similar to OEM HIDs.

2 - Adjustments are dependent on how well it was adjusted from the factory and also depends on the bulbs you buy.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Last edited:
OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Hello everyone,

So my kit finally arrived and I installed it. I took some pictures of where I mounted the ballasts and what I used.

Drivers Side:
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_165751

I combined 2 zip-ties to form one long zip-tie and routed them through 2 holes on the side.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_165805

Just to be on the safe side I added some strips of double sided mounting tape. This really secured the ballast and will hopefully prevent it from moving.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_165822

Passenger's Side: Much more straightforward, simply squeezed between windshield washer and side of the hood here. It was pretty snug, even without a ziptie, but just in case I tied this part up as well.
I was a little worried I might have more trouble mounting the ballasts since my kit comes with the thicker ones, however it all ended up working out for me.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_165836

Original Halogen Bulb: Ugly yellow stock bulb, these bulbs are so bad, I don't even know how they are able to manufacture the cars with such dim bulbs.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_160726

HID bulb: A SIGNIFICANT improvement over stock. The color is excellent, looks very close to OEM, doesn't have that tacky blue look to it and doesn't have any yellow either.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_160740

I'll probably update you guys with some night pics. The weather isn't really great right now.

I want to thank everyone for helping me out, really appreciate it.

Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_160740

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello everyone,

So my kit finally arrived and I installed it. I took some pictures of where I mounted the ballasts and what I used.

Drivers Side:
IMG_20160615_165751.jpg

I combined 2 zip-ties to form one long zip-tie and routed them through 2 holes on the side.
IMG_20160615_165805.jpg

Just to be on the safe side I added some strips of double sided mounting tape. This really secured the ballast and will hopefully prevent it from moving.
IMG_20160615_165822.jpg

Passenger's Side: Much more straightforward, simply squeezed between windshield washer and side of the hood here. It was pretty snug, even without a ziptie, but just in case I tied this part up as well.
I was a little worried I might have more trouble mounting the ballasts since my kit comes with the thicker ones, however it all ended up working out for me.
IMG_20160615_165836.jpg

Original Halogen Bulb: Ugly yellow stock bulb, these bulbs are so bad, I don't even know how they are able to manufacture the cars with such dim bulbs.
IMG_20160615_160726.jpg

HID bulb: A SIGNIFICANT improvement over stock. The color is excellent, looks very close to OEM, doesn't have that tacky blue look to it and doesn't have any yellow either.
IMG_20160615_160740.jpg

I'll probably update you guys with some night pics. The weather isn't really great right now.

I want to thank everyone for helping me out, really appreciate it.

IMG_20160615_160740.jpg
Thanks for sharing and updating the installation. Would love to see the night shots when you get around to it.

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Thanks for sharing and updating the installation. Would love to see the night shots when you get around to it.
So I got a night shot for you

The difference is huge! These light up the road a lot better and shine much farther. The light is a nice clean white light which shouldn't bother anyone. The light cut off is also surprisingly good. Obviously it's not as sharp as a true retrofit projector but when I tested it against Parked cars, the light would only reach up to their license plates. So you won't be bothering anyone by lightning up their cabin. Overall very happy that I decided to do this.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. IMG_20160615_220944

View attachment 12675

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I got a night shot for you

The difference is huge! These light up the road a lot better and shine much farther. The light is a nice clean white light which shouldn't bother anyone. The light cut off is also surprisingly good. Obviously it's not as sharp as a true retrofit projector but when I tested it against Parked cars, the light would only reach up to their license plates. So you won't be bothering anyone by lightning up their cabin. Overall very happy that I decided to do this.
IMG_20160615_220944.jpg

View attachment 12675
Thanks for posting! That looks really good. I'm more interested in getting more light on the road from a safety point of view, as opposed to the "poser" look and these seem to do the job.

I just don't know why Honda doesn't offer HID or LEDs as a separate option for the lower trims of their cars as I would gladly pay a few hundred bucks for them.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
needed to know where people had mounted their ballasts. If I could get a couple of pictures that would help me out a lot and also if you could state what you used to mount the ballast (zipties, mounting tape, brackets).
Here you go, Danny17. Morimoto kit w/ 4500K bulbs. Used only the included brackets, wiring harness w/ relays & zip ties to tidy up the wiring:

Driver's side

Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. 20160618_173427

Passenger's side

Honda Civic 10th gen [Request[ HID's Ballast mounting locations. 20160618_173529

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm looking for very bright HID's. I sometimes struggle to see at night. Does anyone know a pair that is very bright and has good distance?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking for very bright HID's. I sometimes struggle to see at night. Does anyone know a pair that is very bright and has good distance?
I'm happy with the Morimoto HID kit that was installed in my car. If you want brighter than the output of their 35W setup, you can change it to the 50W ballasts.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm happy with the Morimoto HID kit that was installed in my car. If you want brighter than the output of their 35W setup, you can change it to the 50W ballasts.
Could you send me a link of where you purchased them from? I'd also be interested in seeing a picture at night
Sponsored