[Request] After market subwoofer rattle fix (non touring)

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Has anyone with an aftermarket subwoofer found a way to get rid of the rattling at higher volumes (20+)?
Sponsored

OP
OP

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Find yourself a bass frequency range audio track to play through your sub and grab some adhesive backed felt and start isolating the rattles.
Indeed, I can do that but I was hoping someone has already fixed this problem and can call out their solution.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
We'd have a thread on the fix if someone had figured it out. The above advice is about as good as you'll get. You can also try insulating the outer edge of the sub to help dampen vibrations between the woofer and mounting plate. Here's an example I did in the wife's car using window pane insulation (not a Civic).

Honda Civic 10th gen [Request] After market subwoofer rattle fix  (non touring) 15283946_10155207617104796_6740145904172269202_n

OP
OP

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
We'd have a thread on the fix if someone had figured it out. The above advice is about as good as you'll get. You can also try insulating the outer edge of the sub to help dampen vibrations between the woofer and mounting plate. Here's an example I did in the wife's car using window pane insulation (not a Civic).

15283946_10155207617104796_6740145904172269202_n.jpg
I don't agree that "We'd have a thread on the fix if someone had figured it out". Someone could have figured it out and not posted about it.

Either way, thanks for the advice. I might just have to spend some hours finding the issues.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every car is going to rattle in different places. Nobody is going to be able to tell you over the internet where to put isolation material to fix your rattles.

Half the fun of customizing cars is doing it yourself. Grab a beer, put some good music on, turn it up and enjoy yourself while you fix the problem.

OP
OP

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Every car is going to rattle in different places. Nobody is going to be able to tell you over the internet where to put isolation material to fix your rattles.

Half the fun of customizing cars is doing it yourself. Grab a beer, put some good music on, turn it up and enjoy yourself while you fix the problem.
I don't agree that there can't be a common rattle location based on the design of the car. I do recognize that manufacturing defects can introduce new rattle locations.

With all of that being said, grabbing a beer and finding these locations doesn't sound half bad. Cheers.

crossont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX
Most of my rattles were solved by wedging a piece of foam in between the raised area for the center light and the window. Once I did that all the rattle were greatly reduced.

avidark22

First Name
Amol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
That's great news! Do you have pictures?
The plastic near the 3rd brake light, i.e between the 2 rear speakers is whats causing rattle in mine, i ll try to fix it tomorrow ... any suggestion as to where to start with?

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Has anyone with an aftermarket subwoofer found a way to get rid of the rattling at higher volumes (20+)?
Is this something that just started or have you been dealing with it since you purchased the car?

Im curious because mine doesnt rattle but im wondering if i need to be watching out for it.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this something that just started or have you been dealing with it since you purchased the car?

Im curious because mine doesnt rattle but im wondering if i need to be watching out for it.
It's a pretty common issue. I had it in my 2018 Si. Honda may have since addressed it for newer model years

Angelo mupo

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ex touring
Country flag
Indeed, I can do that but I was hoping someone has already fixed this problem and can call out their solution.
The rattle I get is result of the center tail light. I dont plan on service or replacing the light anytime soon so I sprayed a very small amount of gapfiller just above the light so it would expand around the right of the light. Worked like a charm and the amount was small enough I still have access to the light if need be. The gap filler comes off easily with a rag and slight amount of acetone. Hope that helps.
Sponsored