10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Unconfirmed report and just as we've been speculating here - report that there'll be a 2.0L NA and 1.5L turbo engine, with the 2.0L to be the base engine.

from http://paultan.org/2015/08/03/2016-honda-civic-a-choice-of-2-0-na-and-1-5-turbo/

Fresh rumours regarding the 2016 Honda Civic have surfaced. According to a Temple of VTEC USA report, the next-generation Civic sedan will be offered with a choice of two engines: a 2.0 litre naturally-aspirated VTEC and a new 1.5 litre VTEC Turbo.

The report suggests that the 2.0 NA engine will be marketed as the base motor, only available with the lesser trim lines. The 1.5T, meanwhile, is said to be positioned slightly higher, and can be had with more premium equipment packs.

Transmission wise, both engines can be paired with either a six-speed manual ‘box or a CVT. The six-speeder, though, is tied only to each engine’s base trim, if the report is to be believed, whereas the CVT is to be available across the entire range.

Nothing on power outputs yet, but as a reference, Honda’s 2.0 litre VTEC engine makes 155 PS and 190 Nm in our current-generation Civic, while the 1.5 litre VTEC Turbo unit fitted on the StepWGN and Jade RS offers 150 PS and 203 Nm. Whether these figures will be kept the same on the Civic remains to be seen.

It has to be mentioned, though, that the report refers to the US-market line-up, where the Civic Sedan is currently offered with a 143 hp/175 Nm 1.8 litre VTEC engine as standard. There’s also a 205 hp/237 Nm 2.4 litre VTEC option in the semi-hot Civic Si variant.

So far, it looks like the two new engine options (2.0 NA and 1.5T) will take the place of the standard Civic line-up. A replacement for the Civic Si should appear later on.
Sponsored

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Darn was hoping for some Si engine info or confirmation. This makes sense tho the 1.5T should make more power. And if this report is true it sounds like we'll see manual transmission throughout the entire lineup. :thumbsup:

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Unconfirmed report? Honda announced the base 2.0L engine and upper-trim 1.5T when they revealed the concept in New York.

The good news here would be a completely separate engine for the Si. A 2.0T would be spot-on. Please Honda, don't F this up.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Unconfirmed report? Honda announced the base 2.0L engine and upper-trim 1.5T when they revealed the concept in New York.

The good news here would be a completely separate engine for the Si. A 2.0T would be spot-on. Please Honda, don't F this up.
Would like to see a separate engine for the Si too. But if it ends up being a hopped up 1.5T engine, Si owners might not be happy and if it ends up being a detuned Type-R engine then Type-R owners might not be happy. So what's the likelihood or 4 separate engines for the new Civic lineup?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si sales will likely be at a pace of 4 to 1 (if not greater) versus the Type-R. Fewer people upset if you go the de-tuned 2.0T route.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
In sheer numbers that may be true but don't you know the ones that spend the most complain the loudest? :)

What is the expected premium of the Type R over the Si? Can it be justified if the powertrain is not "unique" and the power can be had with a simple tune of the Si?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In sheer numbers that may be true but don't you know the ones that spend the most complain the loudest? :)

What is the expected premium of the Type R over the Si? Can it be justified if the powertrain is not "unique" and the power can be had with a simple tune of the Si?
It's not just the powertrain though. Imagine putting the Type-R engine in the U.S. Si... would it go around the 'ring as fast as the Type-R? I don't think it would.

I expect about 7k-10k premium over the Si, to keep in line with competitor pricing.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Just because an Si could have a 2.0t doesn't mean it would be "just a tune" away from being an R.
First off, the R engine likely requires some expensive parts to be long term reliable. Honda could omit or substitute expensive parts on a Si motor. Honda could use a different valvetrain and/or turbo. Honda could use more plastic such as a plastic intake manifold.
Or, Honda could use a bored out 1.5t.

The R engine will be expensive. They won't put the same engine with a different tune into a Si.

This has been done for years. B18A/B was not simply a detuned B18C5.
Also consider WRX and STi.

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Just because an Si could have a 2.0t doesn't mean it would be "just a tune" away from being an R.
+1 I highly doubt it's just a tune that would separate the Type R engine from the Si engine. Even if the basic engine is the same, the R one would probably have strengthened internals. And other parts of the powertrain would also likely be more robust and efficient (cooling, intake, etc.).

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
And that's just talking about the engine. There's all the other stuff that the TypeR will have that will make it exclusive and even more high performance out of the box - chassis strengtening, suspension, exhaust, steering.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
And that's just talking about the engine. There's all the other stuff that the TypeR will have that will make it exclusive and even more high performance out of the box - chassis strengtening, suspension, exhaust, steering.
That stuff sometimes make even more difference than the engine especially if you're talking about how a car handles and not just how it goes in a strait line.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
Si sales will likely be at a pace of 4 to 1 (if not greater) versus the Type-R. Fewer people upset if you go the de-tuned 2.0T route.
Ratio would probably be much higher than that for the Si especially if it gets a 2.0T engine. Type R gonna be the halo Civic and priced accordingly so it won't be cheap. If the Si gets that engine it'll be the sweet spot for performance+price.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I recently was on YouTube watching turbo k series Si civics laying down serious hp on stock internals. Since I stopped paying attention to Honda near the end of the b series I was unaware that the k series is such a badass motor. Damn man, it's pretty much legend in it's own time.
No way will the 1.5 have as much potential.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
The specs on the turbo 2.0L Camaro were just released and it got me thinking... the newest gen turbo 4 cylinders can be little monsters if the auto companies allowed them to be but since they're mostly in the entry level models I think the companies nerf them on purpose so they don't overstep the higher more expensive models. Not a problem with the Civic because we're not dealing with higher models that have a big V6 or V8 that the company would rather you buy.

I'm psyched to see what the turbo engine (1.5 or 2.0) can do in the Civic. Look at what the turbo 2.0L in the Camaro can do.

Honda Civic 10th gen Report: 2016 Honda Civic 2.0L NA positioned below 1.5L turbo engine specs2
Honda Civic 10th gen Report: 2016 Honda Civic 2.0L NA positioned below 1.5L turbo engine specs1

Type-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Fit Sport
impressive #s from that GM 4 cyl for the Camaro. Only thing I can say against turbo engines is that no matter which turbo'd car I've driven I can still feel some lag. Hope the 1.5L and/or 2.0L ones we're gonna see for this next gen are pretty lag free. Also why I'll definitely need a manual transmission - so I can keep the revs up and minimize lag as much as possible.
Sponsored