Replacing 2016 Touring Stock Subwoofer

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I'm interested in replacing the stock Subwoofer in my Civic. All of the threads I've found have just added a second sub in the trunk.

Is it just too much effort replacing the stock sub with a new one?
Sponsored

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
I'm interested in replacing the stock Subwoofer in my Civic. All of the threads I've found have just added a second sub in the trunk.

Is it just too much effort replacing the stock sub with a new one?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like it would be easy to swap out the speaker and add an amp....

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The problem isn't that it is difficult. The problem is there are not very many Free Air woofers on the market. The other problem is you aren't going to get the sound or increase in bass you're looking. With the market pricing Free Air woofers at a premium, you'll get more bang for your buck just adding a sub w/ a traditional box.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
here's the problem with crutchfield... 1 of those subwoofers is actually designed for Free Air use. As a consumer you wouldn't know that unless you knew what you were looking for. Also, none of these are actual direct fit replacements as noted at the bottom of each.
Honda Civic 10th gen Replacing 2016 Touring Stock Subwoofer upload_2017-10-3_14-7-14

The issue with putting a sub that's designed to be a in box (ported or sealed) in a Free Air scenario is just that. It was never designed to function properly under those circumstances. Think of it like putting a Ferrari motor in a semi. Two pretty cool engineering feats in their own right, but together make one giant turd.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Thanks for the info, it makes sense. I don't want to give up trunk space so I guess I'll stick to the stock subwoofer for now. Maybe I'll get an under the seat one if I feel like it.
Sponsored