Replace Touring LED bulbs without buying whole assembly?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I got into a minor fender bender last week. I noticed a hairline crack in the headlight assembly, but didn't think it would cause an issue.

Everything was working fine for a few days. Then the blinker started hyperflashing intermittently. Then last night the low beam headlight stopped working. The running lamp and high beam still work, and the blinker words most of the time.

I removed the plastic covering the top of the headlight assembly and realized there was a large crack that could have let moisture in. I don't see any water or condensation inside though.

1. Does simple moisture kill LED bulbs?

Without spending a fortune to replace the entire assembly, I see on a eBay they sell the assembly without the bulbs.

2. Does anyone know how can I get just the OEM LED bulbs?
3. Or, should I just use an replacement LED kit instead?
Sponsored

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LED lights are not "bulbs". It is a diode with control circuitry. If water somehow finds it's way to the control circuitry, it can cause damage. You can't replace single LEDs within the headlight. You will have to replace the entire headlight unit.

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
LED lights are not "bulbs". It is a diode with control circuitry. If water somehow finds it's way to the control circuitry, it can cause damage. You can't replace single LEDs within the headlight. You will have to replace the entire headlight unit.
Even though it's not a 'bulb', it should still be a replaceable part. They know that people get into accidents. We shouldn't have to replace the entire unit for $900 just because they are not protecting the circuitry of each indiviual light from moisture.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even though it's not a 'bulb', it should still be a replaceable part. They know that people get into accidents. We shouldn't have to replace the entire unit for $900 just because they are not protecting the circuitry of each indiviual light from moisture.
Sure. Go try and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As an addendum, all the LEDs still work when dry. I tried to take apart the headlight assembly to access the LEDs, but it seems glued together. I would have to use a saw to get them out. Anyone know if there is any use for them?

Padres27

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I have the same problem how did you fix it ive been looking like crazy an answer and cant find it and now ive call the dealer won't even answer because of covid i guess

OP
OP
calonzo

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just bought the whole assembly from CarParts.com for $350 with the LED bulbs. I'ts been working perfectly since Oct.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sadly, reasonable repair is not often a concern of automotive manufacturers these days.

Glad you found a solution that works for you. $350 isn't cheap but it sure beats $900.

Cowsgomoo

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
As an addendum, all the LEDs still work when dry. I tried to take apart the headlight assembly to access the LEDs, but it seems glued together. I would have to use a saw to get them out. Anyone know if there is any use for them?
What did you end up doing with the headlights? Will you be selling them?