Replace the front/rear pads after 14k miles?

therealdarkknight

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that’s crazy. I just checked mine after 26k and they look almost new. I should’ve took some pictures to post. That’s just odd that they would wear that fast
My 2012 Si was like that, I probably replaced the tears 5-6 times over 100k miles and the fronts like 3 times. There’s just not a lot of meat there. I just replaced the rears on my Type R with track time and had a little over double what this had.
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kinda preemptively swapped out the rear pads. 17k miles, only one track day and 6 autoX total probably, rest of it are just DD. Still decent amount of meat left but majority of my autoX season is about to ramp up and I just don't want to think about it...
Honda Civic 10th gen Replace the front/rear pads after 14k miles? upload_2019-6-23_15-12-4

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Kinda preemptively swapped out the rear pads. 17k miles, only one track day and 6 autoX total probably, rest of it are just DD. Still decent amount of meat left but majority of my autoX season is about to ramp up and I just don't want to think about it...
upload_2019-6-23_15-12-4.png
That looks about 20-25% material left before it hit the wear indicators.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
upload_2019-6-23_15-12-4.png
That's pretty good for the R. You probably made the right call too, it'll be nice not to think about replacing them later on.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the car does a lot of the rear brakes yaw control thing to help the car turn-in and it probably taxes on the rear brakes a lot more than normal.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
good call on getting an ezcar lift. It is an amazing lift and i have no regret at all. The owner is a very good guy and very helpful. i also used it during winter storage so i can roll the tires once in awhile to keep them from getting flat spot. Strongly recommend it over the other lifts if you have a two car or bigger garage.

it has saved me a lot of back pain for sure :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that man and hope it clears up soon. Thank you for sharing. I hate brake squeaking.
I had a rock stuck in one of my brakes and it was the absolute worst grinding noise I’ve ever heard. It was horrible and totally embarrassing driving the car in that condition. I’m considering picking up an ez carlift to be able to work on brakes etc without damaging the car.

baker67

First Name
Benoit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Which pads did you end up going with?
I got carbon fiber and ceramic pads from rockauto.com and I am very pleased with them, not only braking is faster but I don’t ear them at all and I get a lot less brake dust on my rims

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I came to the dealer to have a few things fixed (nothing mechanical) and they're saying I need to replace the front/rear brake pads. How is that even possible? The car has 14k miles on it and I've never taken it on a track.

Is this a scam 'cause it sounds like it.

Edit: They said the front two were at a "4-5 / 12" and the rear were "3/12". For what that's worth.
Alright I just replaced my back rim that I curbed and took pictures of my brake pads. The front I know look the same but had this opportunity to take pictures of my rear brakes. I have 27k on my car and brakes still look fine. I’m posted two pics. I had to take two so you can see the inside and outside brake pads
Honda Civic 10th gen Replace the front/rear pads after 14k miles? 2C5F2BC4-4F86-4F64-B348-77A0CBF91C94
Honda Civic 10th gen Replace the front/rear pads after 14k miles? CC5116F1-26CE-4971-B809-F25B42AD7CF9

OP
OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I ended up getting these rotors and Hawk's HPS 5.0 (HB900B.572 rear; HB453B.585 front) for the pads.

It all seems great so far. I get some wheel squeak when in motion at low speeds (less than 10mph) but I think that has more to do with the wheels.

Otherwise, great brakes and I hope they last longer lol

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Alright I just replaced my back rim that I curbed and took pictures of my brake pads. The front I know look the same but had this opportunity to take pictures of my rear brakes. I have 27k on my car and brakes still look fine. I’m posted two pics. I had to take two so you can see the inside and outside brake pads
2C5F2BC4-4F86-4F64-B348-77A0CBF91C94.jpeg
CC5116F1-26CE-4971-B809-F25B42AD7CF9.jpeg
We are talking about the type r not a base model, why do people constantly do this.

RosevilleSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Wanted to chime in. Replaced front pads and rotors at 8k too. Dealer covered all costs. Rear pads at 15k. At 22k currently and have been warned that front pads are due likely next service interval.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Wanted to chime in. Replaced front pads and rotors at 8k too. Dealer covered all costs. Rear pads at 15k. At 22k currently and have been warned that front pads are due likely next service interval.
I’m going to change my front rotors and pads soon too. Good thing I don’t race or track the car or I’ll be joining the 8k-15k brake pad and rotor club. :fear:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We are talking about the type r not a base model, why do people constantly do this.
Well the original post did not specify a type R. And I would hope that the type R has better brakes than then my LX and EX models do lol

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Well the original post did not specify a type R. And I would hope that the type R has better brakes than then my LX and EX models do lol
This is the type R forum though, it's a given that all posts are type R related...

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is the type R forum though, it's a given that all posts are type R related...
I didn’t realize that. I was just trying to help out. But good luck with those bad brakes though
Sponsored