Cat back system from Remus, can buy front as well
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Thanks so much for this review! Couple quick questions. Have you seen any dB tests before and after the Remus install for 0% open? I’d love to see how well it actually performs like the stock exhaust.

Do you feel the front pipe added to the noise?

I’m extremely particular about droning and excessive noise for my daily but the Remus seems the best of both worlds.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Thanks so much for this review! Couple quick questions. Have you seen any dB tests before and after the Remus install for 0% open? I’d love to see how well it actually performs like the stock exhaust.

Do you feel the front pipe added to the noise?

I’m extremely particular about droning and excessive noise for my daily but the Remus seems the best of both worlds.
I have not seen or done any dB tests, but I can tell you with a straight face that 0% open is nearly as quiet as stock. When I drive with 0% (which I did this morning), I hear mostly engine noise just like stock. If my volume is above 14 or 15, you can't really hear anything.

I think the front pipe does help a bit with power and probably a bit of noise. I've seen another car custom-tuned by my same tuner with nearly the same mods except they didn't have a front pipe (and also had a different exhaust); that car ended up a few hp less than my car (nothing major, maybe 5-8 hp). Could be a number of factors, but I think having a true 3" straight through exhaust creates less back pressure for the turbo system (the stock system is 2.3" I think?) and it helps.

I have been daily'ing the car for a really long time now and honestly the functionality to go from stock-equivalent quiet to super loud is really one of my favorite things about my car. I usually drive with 30% open or 100% open and at both there is no drone, in my honest opinion.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have not seen or done any dB tests, but I can tell you with a straight face that 0% open is nearly as quiet as stock. When I drive with 0% (which I did this morning), I hear mostly engine noise just like stock. If my volume is above 14 or 15, you can't really hear anything.

I think the front pipe does help a bit with power and probably a bit of noise. I've seen another car custom-tuned by my same tuner with nearly the same mods except they didn't have a front pipe (and also had a different exhaust); that car ended up a few hp less than my car (nothing major, maybe 5-8 hp). Could be a number of factors, but I think having a true 3" straight through exhaust creates less back pressure for the turbo system (the stock system is 2.3" I think?) and it helps.

I have been daily'ing the car for a really long time now and honestly the functionality to go from stock-equivalent quiet to super loud is really one of my favorite things about my car. I usually drive with 30% open or 100% open and at both there is no drone, in my honest opinion.
Again! Thank you so much for all of your detailed replies! It greatly helps users determine what exhaust is more to their liking.

My biggest fear is an exhaust that will add any sort of drone or noise that will make daily commuting annoying. I love the stock exhaust for my average day but when I want to get on it... There is just NOTHING coming from it. You hear the motor revs way more than the exhaust at peak rpm. The Remus is the only electronic one I know of other than custom designed builds.

Do you run the electronic adapter only from your phone? I'm assuming they offer an APK for android meaning any of us with rooted head units can toss it on there. I'd like to see if we can reverse engineer their signal and just custom build a button to put in place of the blank above the +R adjuster. If not their signal then just design something to place hold the actual board from their dongle.

One last one... How do you feel about that electronic control unit and salt? I would assume it's sealed pretty well but wonder if us northerners who daily will want to coat it to give it more protection against our roads in the winter.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Again! Thank you so much for all of your detailed replies! It greatly helps users determine what exhaust is more to their liking.

My biggest fear is an exhaust that will add any sort of drone or noise that will make daily commuting annoying. I love the stock exhaust for my average day but when I want to get on it... There is just NOTHING coming from it. You hear the motor revs way more than the exhaust at peak rpm. The Remus is the only electronic one I know of other than custom designed builds.

Do you run the electronic adapter only from your phone? I'm assuming they offer an APK for android meaning any of us with rooted head units can toss it on there. I'd like to see if we can reverse engineer their signal and just custom build a button to put in place of the blank above the +R adjuster. If not their signal then just design something to place hold the actual board from their dongle.

One last one... How do you feel about that electronic control unit and salt? I would assume it's sealed pretty well but wonder if us northerners who daily will want to coat it to give it more protection against our roads in the winter.
I daily drive my car 22 miles each way. I live in the heart of the city in Philadelphia so I reverse commute to the suburbs. I take both highways and lots of backroads. No drone to report. I also do trips to CT from Philadelphia every few weeks to visit family (3.5 hours of highway driving ). I have my fiance and my dog in the car. Never one complaint. Even with the exhaust 100% open, when you're cruising / maintaining speed on the highway you don't hear the exhaust; it is only when you are on throttle trying to accelerate that you hear it.

Regarding your point about building a custom button - no need to do that as the kit already comes with a wireless bluetooth controller. It is a little bigger than the size of a quarter and has one button on it and an LED light. I'm sure you could double-side tape it somewhere if you want, but I let it sit in the little nook under the head unit. I use that to control the exhaust 95% of the time. You can cycle through 4 modes with that button (you can set each of the 4 settings to whatever valve position you want by using the app). My controller is set up with the following modes:

Mode 1: 0% open (stock sounding)
Mode 2: 30% open (a bit louder than stock for everyday cruising)
Mode 3: 50% open (I honestly don't use this one)
Mode 4: 100% open (loudest setting when I want to have some fun)

You also have the phone app which you can use to control the exhaust; however, instead of 4 modes you can change the valve setting in 10% increments. So 0%, 10%, 20%..all the way up to 100%. You can't use the Remus Exhaust app on the head unit however. I tried it but there is no APK that is compatible (the only APK available is a newer version of Android which will not work with jailbroken head units). I even talked to Remus's software engineers about it but nothing can be done.

The kit also comes with an OBD II module. You can plug this into the OBD II port and it syncs to the app. You can then have the exhaust change valve settings based on engine RPM (so it is quiet up until 4000 rpm and then you have it wide open or whatever you want it to be). To be frank, I don't really use this auto valve feature because the app crashes for me sometimes. It may be my phone. It is easiest to use the bluetooth controller.

Regarding salt, from what my friend Mike @REMUS USA has told me (hit him up for the best price on this system, seriously), these valve units are manufactured by the same company that makes them for higher end car manufacturers. Therefore, they will withstand what a normal BMW or Porsche with a valve-tronic exhaust has to withstand. I daily drive my car (our roads are heavily salted at the moment, which sucks) and no issues with the valve so far. I go through a touchless wash system probably 2-3 times a week so that helps keep salt away.

Any more questions, let me know. If you do buy one from Mike at Remus USA, let him know I sent ya!

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
They should be paying you I am sold on this exhaust. I really just want the 0% and 100% function nothing in between lol

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks again for all that input! I knew the unit came with the little dongle... I'm just weird and would love to put that hardware into a physical button located in the dash empty locations or right above the +R switch. I think it would look awesome to have that located physically almost like it came with the car!

I'll have to get a quote from @REMUS USA when he has some time :)

calisupra2nr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I am VERY interested in this due to this post. Great overview and details. Just to be clear: I can control the valve on exhaust with an app on an iPhone? I don't want to carry around an extra fob. Great work! I wonder where I can get it installed in the Columbus, OH area...

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I am VERY interested in this due to this post. Great overview and details. Just to be clear: I can control the valve on exhaust with an app on an iPhone? I don't want to carry around an extra fob. Great work! I wonder where I can get it installed in the Columbus, OH area...
Yes you can control it with iPhone app or the Bluetooth controller

Simmons572

First Name
Regi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 RR FK8 R-37732, 96 Civic LX
Country flag
Hey folks, this may be a dumb question, but how is the valve powered on this exhaust? I've been trying to find documentation, but I am struggling to find information.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hey folks, this may be a dumb question, but how is the valve powered on this exhaust? I've been trying to find documentation, but I am struggling to find information.
You tap into an electrical connection for the lights in the back of the car. The instructions that come with the exhaust have it documented (I can't seem to find the instructions on my computer unfortunately)