Remus Exhaust: Detailed Review

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hey guys - so I've had the Remus exhaust (including front pipe) installed for the 10 days or so and wanted to write a review. See below.

Background:

This car is my daily driver that I commute with 1 hour each way and that I regularly take on 300+ mile drives to visit family. I also have a dog with a severe anxiety problem where loud noises are really bad for her. I factored all of this when I was shopping for an exhaust system. I did not want drone and I wanted something that I could adjust the volume when I wanted. Remus fit what I needed.

Product Overview:
If you are not familiar with this product, it’s a 3” stainless exhaust with a Bluetooth-controlled valve that increases or decreases sound based on what mode you choose on a little wireless remote controller (see video at end of post). There is also an iOS and Android app which can control the exhaust automatically based on engine RPM; you can basically recreate “vtec just kicked in yo” if you wanted to. The electric valve is on top of one of the exhaust outlets in the back, and to provide electric power to the valve you splice into one of the power wires running the lights. There is a small computer / brain that sits where the tire repair kit is under the floor in the hatch.

At the exhaust’s quietest setting, it is as quiet as the stock exhaust (which is pretty quiet) under most driving conditions and there is no drone. If you really stomp on the gas it is louder than stock.

At the exhausts loudest setting (100% valve open), it is VERY loud but only when you are on the throttle. There really isn’t any drone either at 100% open unless you are trying to accelerate in 6th gear on the highway doing 65 mph. If you are not prepared for the sound of 100% open, it can actually catch you off guard when it ramps up (it’s that loud). It’s like “ok this is loud, this is louder, then BAM this is scary loud”.

I drive with 100% open when I’m out for a spirited drive or when I want to make myself feel like a race car driver. For normal commuting I keep the valve 30% open, which is plenty loud but not obnoxious. When I have the wife and dog in the car or when I’m driving late at night through our neighborhood I drive at 0% open because I'm a considerate human.

The Exhaust’s Sound:
On all settings the exhaust gurgles, pops, etc. (especially when decelerating) and just overall sounds aggresive / mean. The exhaust also has an audible “turbine whirling” sound to it from the turbo when you rev the engine and it returns to idle. It sounds pretty dope.

Cold starts have made my mornings something to look forward to with the mean growl, especially at 100% open (see video at end of post)

The exhaust is a bit raspier than what you traditionally hear from 4 cylinder Japanese engines. I personally like the sound – it’s almost like Remus tried to put a bit of a European spin to the Japanese 4 cylinder sound (if that makes any sense at all), especially given the European heritage of the brand. It’s not a “fart can” sound like the Hondas of old.

EDIT: Remus developed the sound for the exhaust in an acoustic chamber that costs $12 million (see Remus's post further below in this thread about their sonorous sound chamber with pics).

Honestly you can’t really capture the loudness / tone / gurgles / pops of any exhaust in a video unless you are listening to the video with some high quality speakers (i.e not headphones / not cellphone). See some videos below at end of this post.

Note: I also have the PRL catted downpipe installed.

Power Gains:
I didn’t get a chance to dyno the exhaust on its own (I did dyno it with all other parts and a tune and achieved 372whp / 385 wtq; see my separate post here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/type...-wtq-products-review-prl-remus-ptp-usr.30111/), but what we did find was that there is a 7hp difference between having the valve 0% open and 100% open. Max power was at 100% open.

Price:
It’s quite a bit pricier than most other exhaust systems out there for the FK8, and a big reason for that is the Bluetooth functionality. I love the flexibility to make it quiet when I want and racecar when I want. For that, it is worth every penny to me personally, but may not be worth it for other people.

Conclusion:
I love the exhaust and would buy it again if I had to repeat history. Thanks again to Mike @REMUS USA for getting it to me when I needed it and for @PRL Motorsports for the installation.

Videos:
See below. I suggest listening to these with some real speakers (not your iphone headphones or your phone) otherwise you really can't hear the tone / loudness and it just doesn't sound as good.

Revving with 100% valve open:

Cold start rumble at 100% valve open:

Switching between valve settings at idle:
Sponsored

Last edited:

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
Oh man I wish I did not read this thread and watch your videos. I want a Remus exhaust now!

I wonder how that electronic pipe door would hold up to the salt and road grime not that I would drive my car in the winter.

Thanks for the honest and clear review.

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Oh man I wish I did not read this thread and watch your videos. I want a Remus exhaust now!

I wonder how that electronic pipe door would hold up to the salt and road grime not that I would drive my car in the winter.

Thanks for the honest and clear review.
We shall find out...I’m gonna be driving this thing over winter. I plan to wash it daily on a laser / touch less wash though (I have a monthly pass).

REMUS USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Hello Depo,

Thank you so much for your thorough and detailed review. After your review I expect to be sold out of these systems!!!! I am glad that you are enjoying the system and it meets your expectations. Really gives the forum members a great idea as to what they can expect if they were to purchase.

I do have one small correction to add. Our sonorous sound chamber is actually a 12 Million dollar acoustic sound chamber and the largest in Europe. Please see below for pics. This is where we perform all of our sound testing before releasing our systems. We have a 4 wheel dyno capable of handling over 1000HP and we test for drone and other sound frequencies here. It goes through many phases of testing here before the final product is released and we hope the finished product we offer reflects all that went into producing it. You can literally hear your heart beating once the door closes on the chamber. Quite an experience.

We have plenty of these in stock so please feel free to reach out to myself or any of the authorized REMUS dealers for pricing and additional info. We appreciate all of the support and are happy to be a part of such a spirited community here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Remus Exhaust: Detailed Review W8d07U8

Last edited:

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Sorry to revive - which option did you purchase? Looking at their website I'm seeing options from 1500 to 3500 and fairly confused, I'm assuming the controllable valve option is the 3k+ option?

saint365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry to revive - which option did you purchase? Looking at their website I'm seeing options from 1500 to 3500 and fairly confused, I'm assuming the controllable valve option is the 3k+ option?
Yes and No, cost is depends on tips. if you get full Carbon Tips then that alone is $900

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Yes and No, cost is depends on tips. if you get full Carbon Tips then that alone is $900
What about with normal tips? They have ones with ec approval and non, not sure what that means

OP
OP

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
What about with normal tips? They have ones with ec approval and non, not sure what that means
I bought the normal stainless steel tips. I think they were like $3XX. Forgot the exact amount.

I bought the front pipe, exhaust, stainless steel tips, and the valve + control module.

If you're interested, hit up Mike @REMUS USA - he will give you the details on the various options.

dennyschulz

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys - so I've had the Remus exhaust (including front pipe) installed for the 10 days or so and wanted to write a review. See below.

Background:

This car is my daily driver that I commute with 1 hour each way and that I regularly take on 300+ mile drives to visit family. I also have a dog with a severe anxiety problem where loud noises are really bad for her. I factored all of this when I was shopping for an exhaust system. I did not want drone and I wanted something that I could adjust the volume when I wanted. Remus fit what I needed.

Product Overview:
If you are not familiar with this product, it’s a 3” stainless exhaust with a Bluetooth-controlled valve that increases or decreases sound based on what mode you choose on a little wireless remote controller (see video at end of post). There is also an iOS and Android app which can control the exhaust automatically based on engine RPM; you can basically recreate “vtec just kicked in yo” if you wanted to. The electric valve is on top of one of the exhaust outlets in the back, and to provide electric power to the valve you splice into one of the power wires running the lights. There is a small computer / brain that sits where the tire repair kit is under the floor in the hatch.

At the exhaust’s quietest setting, it is as quiet as the stock exhaust (which is pretty quiet) under most driving conditions and there is no drone. If you really stomp on the gas it is louder than stock.

At the exhausts loudest setting (100% valve open), it is VERY loud but only when you are on the throttle. There really isn’t any drone either at 100% open unless you are trying to accelerate in 6th gear on the highway doing 65 mph. If you are not prepared for the sound of 100% open, it can actually catch you off guard when it ramps up (it’s that loud). It’s like “ok this is loud, this is louder, then BAM this is scary loud”.

I drive with 100% open when I’m out for a spirited drive or when I want to make myself feel like a race car driver. For normal commuting I keep the valve 30% open, which is plenty loud but not obnoxious. When I have the wife and dog in the car or when I’m driving late at night through our neighborhood I drive at 0% open because I'm a considerate human.

The Exhaust’s Sound:
On all settings the exhaust gurgles, pops, etc. (especially when decelerating) and just overall sounds aggresive / mean. The exhaust also has an audible “turbine whirling” sound to it from the turbo when you rev the engine and it returns to idle. It sounds pretty dope.

Cold starts have made my mornings something to look forward to with the mean growl, especially at 100% open (see video at end of post)

The exhaust is a bit raspier than what you traditionally hear from 4 cylinder Japanese engines. I personally like the sound – it’s almost like Remus tried to put a bit of a European spin to the Japanese 4 cylinder sound (if that makes any sense at all), especially given the European heritage of the brand. It’s not a “fart can” sound like the Hondas of old.

EDIT: Remus developed the sound for the exhaust in an acoustic chamber that costs $12 million (see Remus's post further below in this thread about their sonorous sound chamber with pics).

Honestly you can’t really capture the loudness / tone / gurgles / pops of any exhaust in a video unless you are listening to the video with some high quality speakers (i.e not headphones / not cellphone). See some videos below at end of this post.

Note: I also have the PRL catted downpipe installed.

Power Gains:
I didn’t get a chance to dyno the exhaust on its own (I did dyno it with all other parts and a tune and achieved 372whp / 385 wtq; see my separate post here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/type...-wtq-products-review-prl-remus-ptp-usr.30111/), but what we did find was that there is a 7hp difference between having the valve 0% open and 100% open. Max power was at 100% open.

Price:
It’s quite a bit pricier than most other exhaust systems out there for the FK8, and a big reason for that is the Bluetooth functionality. I love the flexibility to make it quiet when I want and racecar when I want. For that, it is worth every penny to me personally, but may not be worth it for other people.

Conclusion:
I love the exhaust and would buy it again if I had to repeat history. Thanks again to Mike @REMUS USA for getting it to me when I needed it and for @PRL Motorsports for the installation.

Videos:
See below. I suggest listening to these with some real speakers (not your iphone headphones or your phone) otherwise you really can't hear the tone / loudness and it just doesn't sound as good.

Revving with 100% valve open:

Cold start rumble at 100% valve open:

Switching between valve settings at idle:

Hey !! is this a full straight pipe system or cat back system???
Sponsored