Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
possible? Removing the smaller stock bushing was kind of a b!$$$ already. Seems like much less movability to wiggle the Acuity one out.
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when you pull the bushing out, you have to have your screwdriver parallel with the cable, it comes out super easy that way.

see how he does it here? queued it up to that spot:

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve taken the stock ones out. I’m wondering if the Acuity ones have enough tolerance to wiggle out the same way.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you want to go back to stock?
don't forget they have retaining clips...after those are out, they should be able to be pushed out with a thumb...

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes. Just wondering if anyone has done it before taking everything apart. Had to use angles pliers to push the small one into place. Seems hard to pull back out

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Yes. Just wondering if anyone has done it before taking everything apart. Had to use angles pliers to push the small one into place. Seems hard to pull back out
Bri, if you are concerned about difficulty during removal, start by removing the retaining ring and spraying a penetrating oil (preferably silicone oil) around the gap between the bushing and cable. Let it soak a few minutes. Try to hold the cable firmly and push the bushing out with your thumbs, opposite the direction it went in during install. If it still won't budge, gently use a thin, flat head screwdriver to pry between the lip on the bushing and the metal collar on the cable. Between that and pushing with your thumbs, you should be able to get them out. Most bushings will come out without the penetrating oil and with just some pressure from your thumbs, but the screwdriver between the lip and cable should do the trick if that fails you. Don't try to pry them out like the OEM bushings get pried out. That method only works so well because the OEM bushings are rubber. Hope that helps.

To get OEM bushings back in, you have to use some grease and a c-clamp to basically clamp the rubber back into the metal ring. Shoot me a DM if you have any specific questions. Happy to help. :)

~Russ

Reactions: bri
OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bri, if you are concerned about difficulty during removal, start by removing the retaining ring and spraying a penetrating oil (preferably silicone oil) around the gap between the bushing and cable. Let it soak a few minutes. Try to hold the cable firmly and push the bushing out with your thumbs, opposite the direction it went in during install. If it still won't budge, gently use a thin, flat head screwdriver to pry between the lip on the bushing and the metal collar on the cable. Between that and pushing with your thumbs, you should be able to get them out. Most bushings will come out without the penetrating oil and with just some pressure from your thumbs, but the screwdriver between the lip and cable should do the trick if that fails you. Don't try to pry them out like the OEM bushings get pried out. That method only works so well because the OEM bushings are rubber. Hope that helps.

To get OEM bushings back in, you have to use some grease and a c-clamp to basically clamp the rubber back into the metal ring. Shoot me a DM if you have any specific questions. Happy to help. :)

~Russ
Thank you!! Sounds like both parts of it will be more difficult than the original install. I will give it a try, but if no success in 10 minutes of yanking I'll just leave it in the car :) It's not super expensive to buy again.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They skipped trying the rings part. Theyre a bitch to put on.

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
Why would you go back to stock bushings? Problems or issues?

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Getting rid of car

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
They skipped trying the rings part. Theyre a bitch to put on.
Not a timely response, but I'm posting for anyone who might find this useful. We actually just made a video to provide more detail on proper procedure for removing the OEM bushings and how to install the spiral retaining rings on our bushings. These are the two most common areas that people run into issues or confusion. You can check it out here:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much!

Not a timely response, but I'm posting for anyone who might find this useful. We actually just made a video to provide more detail on proper procedure for removing the OEM bushings and how to install the spiral retaining rings on our bushings. These are the two most common areas that people run into issues or confusion. You can check it out here:

sdj544

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Video was great and really helped the install go quick.
Only problem I had was I ended up knocking off the little black rubber cap on a little tube below the small one. (Not sure what it’s there for) Finally located it with a flashlight and a grabber tool.

I installed all the Acuity upgrades along with Boomba’s short throw lever. Height and throw are perfect now. Amazing difference in feel. Doesn’t feel ‘plasticy’ or ‘clicky’ Still a little clunky going from neutral to 2, 4, 6 but think that’s just the nature of the transmission itself. May try changing out the oil as some have suggested.
Totally worth every penny though! This is how they should come stock.
-S

Last edited:

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
Feels so much nicer, a lot more solid. Hardest part of install for me was getting the C clips off that hold the cables to the bracket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade DA1793FC-1E2A-4C86-B3B2-D1AEE6241149

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade 719A8AE6-AFAE-460A-896F-9CF4DE23B4F7

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing shifter cable bushing upgrade B72C25E9-4EDA-4FD6-AAFA-427406300888

OP
OP

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Feels so much nicer, a lot more solid. Hardest part of install for me was getting the C clips off that hold the cables to the bracket.
When I did it I couldn’t budge those C clips so just skipped that part.
Sponsored