Removing gum left a faded area on door.

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
My son put a piece of chewing gum inside of the slot where you put your finger to raise the passenger side window. My wife tried to get it out but it spread all along the plastic on the outside of the button. I used some orange oil to remove it, but now the area is lighter than the rest of the area. What can I use to fix this, or is this permanent?
Sponsored

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
Out of curiousity, if you were to take a micro-fiber cleaning rag, dampen it a bit and then wipe down the clouded area, does it just turn clouded again?

Is the cloudiness from the gum, or the cleaner you used?

CivicX is a great website for all things 10th Gen, but there are detailing specific websites out there that you might want to visit too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum

OP
OP

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I tried to clean it with just water, but when it dries it's still looks faded. I don't think it's the gum as I am pretty sure it's all gone. I'll check that link, thanks.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to check out products like this: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06112.html#&slider1=17

It's a trim restorer - which essentially should give your faded black plastic that original color.

I recently bought this as part of my cleaning kit, but have only used it outside as part of a trim cleaner then restorer. I believe it was $8 at Pep Boys at the time I bought it but should be available at any auto parts store.

My son put a piece of chewing gum inside of the slot where you put your finger to raise the passenger side window. My wife tried to get it out but it spread all along the plastic on the outside of the button. I used some orange oil to remove it, but now the area is lighter than the rest of the area. What can I use to fix this, or is this permanent?
Sponsored