Removing fine scratches

Vigawla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2017 VTi-LX
Hi all, the industrial vacuum hose I was using to vacuum my car accidentally swiped the side door of my car. It's the cosmic blue variant. Attached below are the photos. The scratches are not deep and cannot be easily seen, yet it's existence is not good.

I'm totally new to detailing and have been lurking on the forums a lot to get tips about maintaining and detailing cars.

What products would you recommend to help remove or mask the scratches?

I've already put on a coat of Autoglym HD Wax about 3 weeks ago - if I use scratch remover products, do I need to remove the wax or can I just leave the previous coat of wax alone?

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing fine scratches IMG_0742.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing fine scratches IMG_0736.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Removing fine scratches IMG_0742.JPG

OP
OP

Vigawla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that really is a good video. But woah!, I was looking at products only such as Autoglym scratch remover. Are products doing the same thing as sandpaper but with a much finer grit?

Also, I'm a bit concerned that a post-sand paper polish won't bring the paint back to how it was (although the video shows it does). In other words, I'm afraid there'll still be a slight haze.

Does anyone have experience using sandpaper or products on a metallic paint such as mine?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Use Meguiars Ultimate Compound with a cotton terry cloth towel if you want to work it by hand - it might take a few rounds to get it out completely but you're far less likely to do any damage to your paint. Use a pea sized drop, dab on the spot and work it (you'll have to use some elbow grease, so don't be afraid to put pressure, and the terry cloth helps with enough abrasiveness to help you cut in vs. a microfiber). Follow up by a good coat of wax. Of course, start with a clean surface.

If you had a large area doing it by hand won't really work well, but your picture shows a small area.

If there's a portion of scratches too deep (can't tell by your picture if its just the clearcoat) then you can make it look a whole lot better but don't overdo it.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would start with the least abrasive product. Start with something like Scratch-X from Meguiars and then work your way up to a compound if that doesn't work. Please also remember to apply wax to the area afterwards.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Always start with the least abrasive method, and work your way up as/if required.

You can wet-sand, compound, then polish and have it looking better than new - but it's an advanced process for someone who may not feel comfortable working with those products (you would hate to sand right through your clear!)

SI 1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
Check this guys videos out, he's really good.

AMMO NYC.

OP
OP

Vigawla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm planning to use a product to start off with to prevent removing too much of the clear coat but I'm hearing stories about washing the car resulting in the scratch re-appearing.

Is there any truth to this?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
McGuires gold class cleaner WAX. I have removed many scratches exactly like you posted.

Hi all, the industrial vacuum hose I was using to vacuum my car accidentally swiped the side door of my car. It's the cosmic blue variant. Attached below are the photos. The scratches are not deep and cannot be easily seen, yet it's existence is not good.

I'm totally new to detailing and have been lurking on the forums a lot to get tips about maintaining and detailing cars.

What products would you recommend to help remove or mask the scratches?

I've already put on a coat of Autoglym HD Wax about 3 weeks ago - if I use scratch remover products, do I need to remove the wax or can I just leave the previous coat of wax alone?

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

Last edited:

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm planning to use a product to start off with to prevent removing too much of the clear coat but I'm hearing stories about washing the car resulting in the scratch re-appearing.

Is there any truth to this?
Once you remove them minor scratches , rewax that area again and they won't return no more. Also to contact https://www.zas.com.au/in your country. They have everything you can use and help you also.

OP
OP

Vigawla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all, I'll give it a good wash, scratch remover and wax when I'm free!
Sponsored