Remote Start - Could it be battery issue?

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that when i tried to remote start my 2016 Touring (from the same spot in my house), it didn't work the first 2 times. It only worked the 3rd time. Even today AM, it didn't work the first time.
Do you think this could be a sign of the battery weakening? I don't remember seeing the low battery notification when i got into the car.
I will try the same with the back up fob to see if that works on first attempt as far as remote starting is concerned.
My Car will be about 2 yrs old in May/June.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Are you sure the car was locked before trying to start?
Only the fob battery would be suspect - Try lock/unlock from same location and see if lights flash.
2 years is short life for fob, our '12 Si is right at 6 years, and the only issue has been obstruction or distance from car - regularly lock/unlock/open trunk from 75 ft with no issues.

OP
OP

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you sure the car was locked before trying to start?
Only the fob battery would be suspect - Try lock/unlock from same location and see if lights flash.
2 years is short life for fob, our '12 Si is right at 6 years, and the only issue has been obstruction or distance from car - regularly lock/unlock/open trunk from 75 ft with no issues.
I changed the battery and still the same issue. It just won't remote start. I am able to lock and unlock without any issue and when i sit in the car, i don't get any low fob battery indicator either. I tried with the 2nd Fob and same result. It's been relatively cold the past 2-3 days. I wonder if i should just wait for the weekend when it is supposed to be in the 50s and try it then?
The only time in the past 2-3 days remote start has worked for me is after i have sat in the car and started it manually and then turned it off and then tried remote starting from my regular distance.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Assume neither fob was in the car when you tried to remote start.
Sounds like something is interfering with the permissives for the remote start function (as if you didn't know.)
Likely not weather related unless snow/ice is obstructing something used only for the remote start function.
You don't per chance have something sitting in the passenger seat that could trigger the occupied/underweight alert do you?

OP
OP

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Assume neither fob was in the car when you tried to remote start.
Sounds like something is interfering with the permissives for the remote start function (as if you didn't know.)
Likely not weather related unless snow/ice is obstructing something used only for the remote start function.
You don't per chance have something sitting in the passenger seat that could trigger the occupied/underweight alert do you?
I have a sun shield screen on the inside of my windshield but that has never caused an issue before.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Are you sure you’re using remote start correctly? The steps are
1: hit the lock button once (important)
2: hold down remote start on the remote, until remote blinks red then let go.

You haaaave to hit the lock button once or remote start will not work.

OP
OP

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you sure you’re using remote start correctly? The steps are
1: hit the lock button once (important)
2: hold down remote start on the remote, until remote blinks red then let go.

You haaaave to hit the lock button once or remote start will not work.
Right, I have been doing that. Only thing to note is my car was sitting out in the cold for a month or so and past 2 days as well. I noticed that if i go out and manually start the car and then turn it off and then try remote starting, it works fine.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have a sun shield screen on the inside of my windshield but that has never caused an issue before.
Is car parked differently than when it was starting with the sunshield?
Most sunshields have a foil on them to reflect the sun - that will degrade/block the rf signal but should also affect the remote lock/unlock feature - are you sure the lock/unlock feature is working when the car won't start? Have you tried the remote start feature when close to the car - 10 or 15 ft, not standing next to it?

OP
OP

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Is car parked differently than when it was starting with the sunshield?
Most sunshields have a foil on them to reflect the sun - that will degrade/block the rf signal but should also affect the remote lock/unlock feature - are you sure the lock/unlock feature is working when the car won't start? Have you tried the remote start feature when close to the car - 10 or 15 ft, not standing next to it?
The car's in the same spot. The only time i can see remote start working is after i actually go in and start the car and then turn it off.
Since my car was sitting untouched for a month in the cold (though i had someone remote start it every week), I am guessing the car battery must be slightly weak? I think if i drive it every day of the week next week, I am hoping it re-charges the car battery enough to power the receiver?