Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The most annoying is the government telling me what I don’t „need” to do.
Obviously it’s no longer enough for the laws to define what I’m not allowed to do, they want to define what I can legally think I need.

Only I decide what I need.

Does any one need to fly or drive home multiple times a year when they are in college? When I get to be a legislator I will propose a law that limits trips home to one a year for a major holiday, plus one for an emergency that will need to be documented and approved by the US Dept. of Energy. Nobody needs to travel home more often than that and spoil the air for all of us while indulging themselves.
Sponsored

Last edited:

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Eh. I’ve literally never idled for more than a few minutes. Seems entirely reasonable.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
On the other end of the spectrum, I remote start my car when its extremely hot out to get it cooled off, my wife has a breathing problem that requires this. I'm in one if the state's listed, but if this is so illegal, why can they make cars with remote start and sell them everywhere? Kinda dumb.
If you think about it, there are lots of things humans are allowed to do in an intelligent fashion, but things are changing quickly where the freedom to leave something to your discretion is diminishing and will go to zero. If people don’t want that and want to be able to make smart decisions then they need to stop doing doing stupid crap! Thanks to all of the morons using “dumb phones” while driving and having accidents, my new iPhone OS is warning me that it should not even turn on while it has sensed that I am in a car, which is of course an assumption.

We as a society need to take responsibility for the fate of our planet and our neighbors. We are all responsible and should act like adults. I know it’s fun to be all free and childlike but the world is getting smaller and we all are sharing it, like it or not.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Eh. I’ve literally never idled for more than a few minutes. Seems entirely reasonable.
Maybe it’s reasonable to you. In many points of timespace this “a few minutes” idling misdemeanor could cost you a ticket in a widely varying amount depending on the mood of whoever caught you indulging in this antisocial behavior.
Still seems reasonable?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is no perfect solution by the auto makers but I have installed a small Wolverine brand oil pan heater on my Civic and Honda sells a small water heater that goes on the front of the block and installs for one hour of labor. These Civics get cold fast but at least the integrated exhaust manifold helps them warm quickly. I may install the block heater if I do move back to Colorado. For those up North, there are definitely some solutions to make warm up easier.

Scathe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Ohio resident here. I remote start my car every morning in the winter and let it run for 10-15 minutes before driving. Never had a problem, at least in my town. When the law first passed maybe 5 years ago or so, I remember there being an article in the local paper about a guy getting ticketed for it, but I've never heard anything about it since. Hell, where I work, most of the guys remote start their cars in the winter about 10 minutes before leaving the office as well and leave them idling in a big professional building parking lot. I don't think it's very commonly enforced.

ken88

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
Country flag
L

It is completely absurd to leave the keys in ignition while idling with noone around. In the place I work at, you would'nt know the countless times cars have been stolen with keys in the ignition.
There could also be an issue of liability if your car is stolen because you left the keys in.
Not sure about other states, but here in Ohio you could be held accountable for any damage the car theif does, like gets in an accident, uses it in the commission of a crime, etc.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed. It was literally negative 10 degrees Fahrenheit here last week, and we got a foot of snow, AND my car sits in my driveway overnight. You better believe I remote started my car 15 minutes before getting into it.
In below zero temps idling will not do much with this car other than spray your cold cylinder walls with fuel for 15 minutes and dilute your oil. I think the Honda installed block heater for warming the coolant and/or an oil heater are your best bet along with five minutes of idle followed by some light driving.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Try living somewhere where it gets cold.
It gets cold here. It's extremely rare that I'll let my car idle without me sitting in it. Idling is not really a requirement, it's more of a personal preference.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It gets cold here. It's extremely rare that I'll let my car idle without me sitting in it. Idling is not really a requirement, it's more of a personal preference.
I let my car idle while I'm clearing of snow and ice. When I had a remote start on my previous car I would also let it idle in the winter to have a warmed cabin. Remote start wouldn't let me leave without the key in the ignition and locked the doors.
Sponsored