Remote key LED flashing

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't believe I can't find this info online or in the owner's manual (I even have the big one). My apologies if it's been asked 100 times here, I used every combo of words in my thread title and more to search for it. When I got out of my car yesterday I noticed the LED on my remote was flashing. What does that indicate? My guess was low battery. Also, does that LED do anything else to alert you to other things?

TIA
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm sure if it was asked 100 times, your search would have found it. I haven't heard of this, but am interested to hear if anyone else has.

I assume you haven't tried to replace the battery yet? I do remember reading that the batteries don't last that long, I guess because they are always communicating with the car's proximity sensors.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Flashing constantly? Or you saw a flash or two?

The LED flashes any time the remote communicates with the car. So, if you look at the remote when you press the "Start" button on the car, the LED will light up for a short time. Is it possible what you are seeing is linked to something the car is doing, like opening the doors?

OP
OP
Swank

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it was the battery then somewhere on the dash you get a notification that it's getting low (found that info in my research later today). Not flashing constantly, so maybe it was communicating for the auto walkaway locking as I had just closed the driver's door but hadn't moved away from the car yet. I'll try to pay more attention to it over the next few days and report back.

OP
OP
Swank

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Flashing constantly? Or you saw a flash or two?

The LED flashes any time the remote communicates with the car. So, if you look at the remote when you press the "Start" button on the car, the LED will light up for a short time. Is it possible what you are seeing is linked to something the car is doing, like opening the doors?
You nailed it, definitely does it with the start button, also flashes twice quickly after exiting the car, then a couple more times as I walk away from the car, then the doors lock. OK, good to know!
Sponsored