Si Remember when a short throw was just a shorter shifter?

Which is the best option?

• Total voters

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last time I shopped a short throw, my options were 1) buy a shorter shifter or 2) cut down and rethread the stock shifter.

Now it appears there are crazy options for the 10th gen Si. The Acuit adapter goes on the shifter itself. The Boomba adapter goes on the linkage. The Type R option is a full shifter swap. I’m looking for your preference, and maybe a comment as to why.
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Note: I am biased.

I think that the full Acuity shifter is going to be the 'best' option when it comes out later this year.

For *just* shorter throws, the Acuity piece added onto the Si shifter has shorter throws than the Type R shifter. I prefer the Acuity's attachment mechanism over the other rod extensions.

The Type R shifter can't be beat for bang-for-the-buck, though. (You can't put the Acuity extension on the Type R shifter because Acuity says that it will make the shift too short for the cables.)

(I currently have the Type R shifter with Acuity base bushings, shifter bushings, centering spring, and rocker arm.)

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Note: I am biased.

I think that the full Acuity shifter is going to be the 'best' option when it comes out later this year.

For *just* shorter throws, the Acuity piece added onto the Si shifter has shorter throws than the Type R shifter. I prefer the Acuity's attachment mechanism over the other rod extensions.

The Type R shifter can't be beat for bang-for-the-buck, though. (You can't put the Acuity extension on the Type R shifter because Acuity says that it will make the shift too short for the cables.)

(I currently have the Type R shifter with Acuity base bushings, shifter bushings, centering spring, and rocker arm.)
Thanks for the feedback. I just wish I could test out vehicles with different setups to see which I like. Just adding a weighted shift knob makes a significant difference in the shift behavior. I’m not sure if a “short throw” is even needed, as opposed to just tightening up the shift pattern and behavior, if that makes sense.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
options one and two creates a shorter shift at different end points in the system so you can combine the two. i started with just the Sirimoto Krispy kit. n going to install the Boomba soon.

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The thing I don't like about these adapters compared to a full assembly is that they put more stress on the shift linkage. The weighted shift knob definitely makes a difference, but like you @jakabony, I really just want to clean up the shift pattern. Theres a lot of potential for missed shifts, especially when getting into the later gears.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I just wish I could test out vehicles with different setups to see which I like. Just adding a weighted shift knob makes a significant difference in the shift behavior. I’m not sure if a “short throw” is even needed, as opposed to just tightening up the shift pattern and behavior, if that makes sense.
Er, don't listen to me then - I don't like what weighted shift knobs do ...

The extenders shorten the throw - the front-back distance moved (1-2, 3-4, 5-6). If you want to lessen the side-to-side movement (2-3, 4-5), then Acuity's rocker arm does that - really, really well IMO, and the rocker also improves feel. I can't really speak to how the rocker performs without the base bushings, shifter bushings, or centering spring - as the rocker was the last item that I installed - but I will say that adding the rocker and centering spring on top of the bushings made a huge difference in the "precision" of the feel - which is I suspect what you are getting at with "tightening up the shift pattern and feel."

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Er, don't listen to me then - I don't like what weighted shift knobs do ...

The extenders shorten the throw - the front-back distance moved (1-2, 3-4, 5-6). If you want to lessen the side-to-side movement (2-3, 4-5), then Acuity's rocker arm does that - really, really well IMO, and the rocker also improves feel. I can't really speak to how the rocker performs without the base bushings, shifter bushings, or centering spring - as the rocker was the last item that I installed - but I will say that adding the rocker and centering spring on top of the bushings made a huge difference in the "precision" of the feel - which is I suspect what you are getting at with "tightening up the shift pattern and feel."
No I like your thought process. I don’t think the car needs as much of a shorter throw than a tighter one. I’ve heard the type r shifter is nice, but not all that nicer than the Si one. But in combo with the Acuity goodies, it sounds like what I’m looking for

powow66

YouTube Channel: Pawinning
First Name
Pawinn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys!

I've been the videographer for Acuity Instruments for the past 6 months or so, daily driving a 2017 Honda Civic Si that has tried their shifting upgrades in a few stages/configurations. Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add my $0.02 on all the current Acuity shifter parts for 10th gen civics. Two parts (the adapter and the rocker) from Acuity will shorten the shifter throw nicely, but I vouch for getting other supplemental parts from them as well. I'll admit that my opinion is biased since I work with the company directly, but I'm just speaking from my experience so far. When I first started looking into these short shifter kits, I was also surprised with the variety of options available. Other than those parts and some exterior mods my car is completely stock (for now :cool:).

My first set of parts from Acuity were:
-Short short shifter adapter (prototype, YT video pending)
-Upgraded centering spring
-Shifter base bushings

To comment on the short shifter adapter first, throw decrease is perfect in my opinion. The part seemed to be well designed within the constraints of the stock shifter assembly, retaining stock components like the oem endlink bushing. The locking mechanism for the adapter was also very sturdy on the shifter arm. I've put about 15k miles on the adapter with no issues with it loosening up (I verified this recently with the last time I disassembled my center console for filming a few weeks ago). In combination with the base bushings and centering spring I thought that the parts gave me better mechanical feedback without increasing shifting effort too much into any gear. However, I found that the shifter still had some play in some areas (I noticed how much the oem plastic rocker arm flexed when moving the shifter side to side when testing out the short throw adapter). I wanted more parts!

Within the next month or so I installed the following:
-Throttle pedal spacer
-Shifter cable bushings
-Shifter rocker arm (prototype)

The throttle pedal spacer is unrelated to this thread (which I also love), but I found that the cable bushings and rocker arm made shifting much tighter. By eliminating one of the last major plastic components in the shifter assembly, the rocker arm made gate selection very solid. At this point, all the "plastic-y" feel of the shifter was gone through the gears, with further improvements in mechanical feedback and shortened gate spacing. I'm excited to see how much more of an improvement will be made with a full shifter replacement!

Based on my experience I'd recommend the following:
Start out with base bushings and cable bushings as they will stiffen up the shifter housing and cables. They're designed to outlast and outperform the oem bushings, providing a foundation for the other upgraded parts in the stock shifter assembly. Next, if you would like to tighten up the shifter feel and reduce throw, I would get the short shifter adapter, rocker, and spring (optional, but you might as well if you're replacing the rocker).

Disclosure on short shifter adapters (extenders specifically):
There is something to mention about getting short shifter adapters on the stock shifter arm: adding an adapter may cause a "clicking" sound to occur when shifting into even gears and reverse. Acuity and I have diagnosed this issue as a shortcoming the the oem shifter parts, not the short shifter adapters themselves. Here is a video link to show you guys a DIY solution we found: .
Long story short, any adapter that extends the shifter arm will cause this issue on a 10th gen stock shifter assembly because it makes the gear selector cable operate at a steeper angle at the from the endlink, imposing a slight upwards force on that plastic bushing making it move in place. This video needs an update with more detail shots of how the bushing in question is locked in place, but the updated content will happen within the next week or so.

Another useful video was made by winding road featuring a direct comparison between all the parts I have on my car versus another civic si that had only the centering spring and base bushings:

Hope this information helps! I'm happy to answer further questions if need be. Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys!

I've been the videographer for Acuity Instruments for the past 6 months or so, daily driving a 2017 Honda Civic Si that has tried their shifting upgrades in a few stages/configurations. Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add my $0.02 on all the current Acuity shifter parts for 10th gen civics. Other than those parts and some exterior mods my car is completely stock. I'll admit that my opinion is biased since I work with the company directly, but I'm just speaking from my experience so far. When I first started looking into these short shifter kits, I was also surprised with the variety of options available.

-Shifter base bushings

To comment on the short shifter adapter first, throw decrease is perfect in my opinion. The part seemed to be well designed within the constraints of the stock shifter assembly, retaining stock components like the oem endlink bushing. The locking mechanism for the adapter was also very sturdy on the shifter arm. I've put about 15k miles on the adapter with no issues with it loosening up (I verified this recently with the last time I disassembled my center console for filming a few weeks ago). In combination with the base bushings and centering spring I thought that the parts gave me better mechanical feedback without increasing shifting effort too much into any gear. However, I found that the shifter still had some play in some areas (I noticed how much the oem plastic rocker arm flexed when moving the shifter side to side when testing out the short throw adapter). I wanted more parts!

-Throttle pedal spacer
-Shifter cable bushings

The throttle pedal spacer is unrelated to this thread (which I also love), but I found that the cable bushings and rocker arm made shifting much tighter. By eliminating one of the last major plastic components in the shifter assembly, the rocker arm made gate selection very solid. At this point, all the "plastic-y" feel of the shifter was gone through the gears, further improving mechanical feedback and shortening the side to side movement of the shifter (gate spacing) just enough. I'm excited to see how much more of an improvement will be made with a full shifter replacement!

Start out with base bushings and cable bushings as they will stiffen up the shifter housing and cables. They're designed to outlast and outperform the oem bushings, providing a foundation for the other upgraded parts in the stock shifter assembly. Next, if you would like to tighten up the shifter feel and reduce throw, I would get the short shifter adapter, rocker, and spring (optional, but you might as well if you're replacing the rocker).

There is something to mention about getting short shifter adapters on the stock shifter arm: adding an adapter may cause a "clicking" sound to occur when shifting into even gears and reverse. Acuity and I have diagnosed this issue as a shortcoming the the oem shifter parts, not the short shifter adapters themselves. Here is a video link to show you guys a DIY solution we found: .
Long story short, any adapter that extends the shifter arm will cause this issue on a 10th gen stock shifter assembly because it makes the gear selector cable operate at a steeper angle at the from the endlink, imposing a slight upwards force on that plastic bushing making it move in place. This video needs an update with more detail shots of how the bushing in question is locked in place, but the updated content will happen within the next week or so.

Another useful video was made by winding road featuring a direct comparison between all the parts I have on my car versus another civic si that had only the centering spring and base bushings:

Hope this information helps! I'm happy to answer further questions if need be. Cheers!
Great info! Thanks for that. I look forward to reviewing it all in depth.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys!

I've been the videographer for Acuity Instruments for the past 6 months or so, daily driving a 2017 Honda Civic Si that has tried their shifting upgrades in a few stages/configurations. Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add my $0.02 on all the current Acuity shifter parts for 10th gen civics. Two parts (the adapter and the rocker) from Acuity will shorten the shifter throw nicely, but I vouch for getting other supplemental parts from them as well. I'll admit that my opinion is biased since I work with the company directly, but I'm just speaking from my experience so far. When I first started looking into these short shifter kits, I was also surprised with the variety of options available. Other than those parts and some exterior mods my car is completely stock (for now :cool:).

-Shifter base bushings

-Throttle pedal spacer
-Shifter cable bushings

The throttle pedal spacer is unrelated to this thread (which I also love), but I found that the cable bushings and rocker arm made shifting much tighter. By eliminating one of the last major plastic components in the shifter assembly, the rocker arm made gate selection very solid. At this point, all the "plastic-y" feel of the shifter was gone through the gears, with further improvements in mechanical feedback and shortened gate spacing. I'm excited to see how much more of an improvement will be made with a full shifter replacement!

So curious about all that you've done to the stock Si shifter assembly, vs swapping in the Type R shifter assembly. Maybe @ACUITY can weigh in on this directly, but would there be benefit in doing all the upgrades you did to the Si shifter, if you put in the Type R? Obviously, the base bushings and cable bushings(I'm guessing) should be changed. It would be nice if Acuity had a package of all the goodies mentioned for a set price. Then, if you upgrade to a Type R shifter, what should you still upgrade in the linkage? Follow me?

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So curious about all that you've done to the stock Si shifter assembly, vs swapping in the Type R shifter assembly. Maybe @ACUITY can weigh in on this directly, but would there be benefit in doing all the upgrades you did to the Si shifter, if you put in the Type R? Obviously, the base bushings and cable bushings(I'm guessing) should be changed. It would be nice if Acuity had a package of all the goodies mentioned for a set price. Then, if you upgrade to a Type R shifter, what should you still upgrade in the linkage? Follow me?
We are going to have a stage 2 kit in coming weeks that is basically stage 1 plus a few more parts. No exact eta on that yet. On the CTR you'll want all of the same mods except the short throw adapter. All of the mods like our cable bushings, base bushings, rocker upgrade, and centering spring will provide noticable gains over the stock CTR shifter assembly. Cable angle becomes too extreme on a CTR shifter with our short throw adapter, so that cannot be used. An Si shifter with our short throw adapter will be noticeably shorter than a CTR shifter's throw, but I don't have the exact percentages in front of me at the moment. Hope that helps! :)

~russ

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We are going to have a stage 2 kit in coming weeks that is basically stage 1 plus a few more parts. No exact eta on that yet. On the CTR you'll want all of the same mods except the short throw adapter. All of the mods like our cable bushings, base bushings, rocker upgrade, and centering spring will provide noticable gains over the stock CTR shifter assembly. Cable angle becomes too extreme on a CTR shifter with our short throw adapter, so that cannot be used. An Si shifter with our short throw adapter will be noticeably shorter than a CTR shifter's throw, but I don't have the exact percentages in front of me at the moment. Hope that helps! :)

~russ
It does, thanks. I personally like the general throw of the Si shifter, but am looking for some more crispness. That is why I was going to go with the Type R shifter assembly, and the Acuity bundle, minus the short throw adapter. I think that will be the best combo. Thanks again!

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback above on all the parts, the call from Acuity themselves, & the late night packaging/fast shipping!
I have everything but a shift knob/adapter. Last of the Acuity parts just shipped to my door!

Now installing it, ugh......that may be awhile LOL

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback above on all the parts, the call from Acuity themselves, & the late night packaging/fast shipping!
I have everything but a shift knob/adapter. Last of the Acuity parts just shipped to my door!

Now installing it, ugh......that may be awhile LOL
Good luck on the isntall! :) Hope it's cooler there than here. We had a heat index of something like 105-110 this weekend, and we were doing some prototype installation outdoors. Sooooooo hoooooot out. :puke:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good luck on the isntall! :) Hope it's cooler there than here. We had a heat index of something like 105-110 this weekend, and we were doing some prototype installation outdoors. Sooooooo hoooooot out. :puke:
Need that indoor AC lol
Sponsored